• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch HG wins 1st Place in Field and Stream test of 13 new Binoculars. (2 Viewers)

I have found that with alpha binoculars it is much easier to pick up field ID characteristics on birds that you only get a glimpse of.

It seems to be a combination of color rendition and contrast, as well as resolution.

I usually find that most of my birds are 100+ yards away, so these become more important.

Last edited:
I have found that with alpha binoculars hat it is much easier to pick up field ID characteristics on birds that you only get a glimpse of.

It seems to be a combination of color rendition and contrast, as well as resolution.

I usually find that most of my birds are 100+ yards away, so these become more important.

Just when these guys were starting to feel better, and were even possibly on the road to complete recovery, you have to go and say that............! 3:)

I'd reply to you Maljuno, but I've had to recall the nurse. She's just preparing my injection, then she's going to tuck me in. Nighty night everybody.

I'd reply to you Maljuno, but I've had to recall the nurse. She's just preparing my injection, then she's going to tuck me in. Nighty night everybody.

I dismissed my nurse some time back. I can do this on my own, knuckles and teeth clenched. (Until Canon brings out an IS 8x40L series in the shape of a Leica Ultravid;)).

I really doubt whether you would make any more identifications with an Nvid than with your MHGs...

I have found that with alpha binoculars it is much easier to pick up field ID characteristics on birds that you only get a glimpse of.

I would like a thread where people list instances where they know or think an "alpha" helped them in a bird ID over a lesser binocular.

Last edited:
CG. Just curious what you didn't like about the Nikon MHG. Maybe compared to some of your other binoculars. It seems the MHG is liked or disliked. Like there is no in between. I value your opinion being another Denverite. What store did you handle one at in Denver?

Dennis,

I know it was at Cabela's but don't recall if it was Lone Tree or Thornton ??? I pass thru them too frequently. Also think it was a 10x model and not 8x.

I was comparing it to what I recall about the 8x32 earlier version I once had (one before it was called the premier but don't recall if that is the HGL or LXL - I did a decent review of it on Birdforum comparing it to my 8x32 Conquest HD and the model will be listed there if you need to know).

For me it didn't compare in optics or build, just didn't seem as solid or refined in operation and felt a little plastic like compared to the older model. I didn't find the optics on par with the older model either (which I consider a tad better than the Conquest HD which I ended out keeping). So, my preference is for the earlier version.

The glass I have on hand for the last 10 months or better: EDG 7x42, UV HD+ 7x42, Conquest HD 8x32, B3 8x30, BGA Classic 7x36.

I did look thru the Conquest HD 8x42 after looking thru the MHG and thought the view much more impressive in the Conquest so would put my money there (my preference for the x32 model vs the x42 model for various reasons).

As you mentioned, it seems to be different for everyone. I know you'll find one soon and post your own opinions which i look forward to reading.

CG

Last edited:
out keeping)

The glass I have on hand for the last 10 months or better: EDG 7x42, UV HD+ 7x42, Conquest HD 8x32, B3 8x30, BGA Classic 7x36.

CG

CG
Thats a really nice selection of binos you have there but I am surprised to notice there isn't a 10x and since you live in place with big mountains and potentially huge viewing distances I wonder why this is so. Maybe you find 10x too unsteady?

Lee

I would like a thread where people list instances where they know or think an "alpha" helped them in a bird ID over a lesser binocular.

I was making a general statement, and cannot cite any specific incident(s) to support my entirely subjective "view".

I should imagine it's impossible unless you're carrying both an 'alpha' and a 'non' at the same time, and keep alternating when a difficult bird throws in an appearance.

Maljunulo, I hope you saw that it was a straight statement and I was not being skeptical.

One knows of, hears or reads (here in this forum for example) stories of, crack nature observers regularly making difficult IDs with binoculars many people on here would be appalled to use (as regards model and/or condition)! Lee, above in another post than the one I quoted, gives a valuable explanation of this:

It depends on the person.//Some of the worse binos I have seen have been in the hands of a tour leader...But he could identify birds and animals in an instant...he would describe what he was seeing in terms of behaviour and plumage details and it was clear he simply saw past his bino's imperfections and just perceived the subjects.

So I would really like to see that list!

Just for shites n grins I took the Vortex Viper 8.5x50 & the stripped down Oberwerk 20x80 to the back deck. I focus on the clouds und scan until finding soaring birds. I cannot see them w/o glass. After locating some w/obie I put it down picking up the Viper.

No doubt the viper view is way more steady affording more contrast. But, the bird isn't even postage stamp size. Even following contrails to the source provides only a silver dash. For me 2.5X closer, lacking solid contrast, provides the ability to glean more.
[ETA: 2.35-2.59x depending on 20x80 or 22x80 though evah so roughly 2.5X]

As always YMMV ...

Last edited:
...One knows of, hears or reads (here in this forum for example) stories of, crack nature observers regularly making difficult IDs with binoculars many people on here would be appalled to use (as regards model and/or condition)!...

When leading fieldtrips for beginners, I often use an old low-end Bushnell or other binocular so that novice birders aren't intimidated or get the impression that bird ID is only possible after spending $$$$$$. I have no trouble identifying birds, even without the binoculars, because I know the context so well. Knowing the species pool and the favored haunts or perches of those species in the area makes ID quite a different and much easier task than if one were making the ID of a random draw from the universe.
--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back