• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Galway Birding (local patch) (1 Viewer)

That sounds fair enough Tom.

Still worthy of a note even if only sub-species. The tally is now 150 - what obvious species are we lacking? maybe we can concentrate a week or two of trying to track down the lost ones!

B :)

I think there are a few notable missing from our list and the rest just have to arrive yet.
One not on the list is the Barn Owl. I have not seen one yet and I am sure someone locally who look in on this tread have seen one. Another is Chough, others like Whitethroat, House Martin and Swift etc have yet to arrive.

I would expect someone to pick up House Martin and Swift this weekend. Pete Capsey had Swift in Roscommon yesterday.

I enjoyed your LBJ photos Tom. Here is a challenge for you from Mr, Chadwick and myself - get a shot of A Grasshopper Warbler!

Justa reminder to all concerned also- Nimmos this Saturday at the usual time......... bring a friend.

:t:

Challenge accepted, although last year I waited for one to appear for three hours with no luck and have yet to get a photo of the Grasshopper Warbler.

Not sure if the first Saturday of May is on the cards. It is not list on the web site. The next event is Sunday 18th May, 4:00AM: National Dawn Chorus Day event at Dangan, Galway City. I will check with Tim Griffin. If not maybe we could arrange one for an alternative location as things have got quite at Nimmo's.

Although there were over 60 Sandwich Terns yesterday between Nimmo's and the Causeway. Also single Brent, Dunlin, Ringed Plover still around with 2 Iceland and an Adult Glaucous Gull 2 Great Northern Divers and a couple of Guillemot.

Tom

Just talking to Tim Griffin and this Saturday 3rd May is the last day of the season for his Nimmo's Walk see you there.

Bittern to be release this evening Wednesday 30th May.

The Bittern release went off without a hitch. Stunning bird. Good turn out too.
Well done to Padraig and Aonghus for their good work.
Hopefully Tom will have some decent photos

Bittern was released today. What a stunning and beautiful bird. Well done to Padraig Reaney for the care and attention to get this bird back to full health. Also to Aonghus O'Donnaill for keeping everyone up to date with the bird's progress and notification of the release this evening.

Attachments

• DSC03761 300408.jpg
    DSC03761 300408.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC03763 300408.jpg
    DSC03763 300408.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC03792 300408.jpg
    DSC03792 300408.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC03801 300408.jpg
    DSC03801 300408.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC03739 300408.jpg
    DSC03739 300408.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Few shots from Nimmo's to the Causeway this evening 1st May. There was a lot of Tern activity and about 30 + Whimbrel flying through.

Attachments

• DSC03829 010508.jpg
    DSC03829 010508.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC03857 010508.jpg
    DSC03857 010508.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC03909 010508.jpg
    DSC03909 010508.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC03924 010508.jpg
    DSC03924 010508.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 124
Bittern

Congratulations to Padraic & all involved in the care & release of the Bittern, what a fantastic achievment. We are fortunate to have a few pairs breed here in Suffolk, England. Next time I'm on the Corrib I'll certainly be scanning the foreshore. once again a great effort.

News update
American Herring Gull is still at the Docks and at the slipway two Glaucous gulls and three Iceland Gulls. Tim Griffin relocated the two Surf Scoters today between Hare Island and the tip of Nimmo's Pier.

Just a reminder to all concerned - Nimmos this Saturday 10.30am at with Tim Griffin

I went down to Bishop's Island and the callows near Clonfert last night.
I can add Whinchat to the County List from there. Saw 2 males and a female in the area. They're inexplicably scarce these days but this is a good site for them.
Also present 2 calling Cuckoos, Sedge Warbler, Grasshopper Warbler,
3 Whimbrel, and the usual summer callows waders.
Good evening but unfortunately I didn't hear a Corncrake.

151, Whinchat

Well done Tom on the Whinchat very scarce bird.

Tim Griffin has added to our total with
152 Whitethroat (Kinvara)
153 Arctic Skua (Kinvara)
154 Swift (Knocknacarra)

This evening on the bay 3 Arctic Terns with about 20 Sandwich Terns.
155 Arctic Tern

The first Saturday of the month with Tim Griffin yield a strange duck spotted by Brendan Dunne on the slipway at Nimmo's and still there this evening with Mallard who give it a hard time on and of. Looks like Heinz 57 has produced Heinz 58. Possible duck x goose hybrid. Any suggestions.

Surf Scoters were present on Saturday but were well out in the bay and then flew across the bay to Renville.

American Herring Gull was at the sewage out fall at Long Walk.

For those interested in digiscoping the shot attached of the Wheatear was taken with Nikon 82ED + adapter + Coolpix 8400

Attachments

• DSC4163 050508.jpg
    DSC4163 050508.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC4181 050508.jpg
    DSC4181 050508.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC03972 030508.jpg
    DSC03972 030508.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC4190 050508.jpg
    DSC4190 050508.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCN1900 030508.jpg
    DSCN1900 030508.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 108
New Mid-Shannon Bird Report

By scanning the callows along the road between Clonfert and Shannonbridge Power Station it is fairly easy to pick out a Whinchat on a post or high up on a grass stem. There is no need to walk on the callow themselves. There are probably a few more birds there than I counted. The whole area is well worth a visit.

On a related topic Stephen Heery is currently compiling a new Mid-Shannon Bird Report (the fourth edition) to cover the years 2004-2007 inclusive.
He would appreciate any bird records people may have from the recording area over the last four years.
The area covered fills a large gap in the centre of the country.
It comprises The River Shannon / Little Brosna callows and the catchment area of the middle River Shannon from Lanesborough in Co. Longford to Killaloe (excluding Co. Clare).
It includes the area west of a line from Nenagh to Roscrea to Tullamore and Mullingar (including the Westmeath lakes and the Slieve Bloom Mts) and east of a line from Woodford to Mountbellew and Glennamaddy (including the Slieve Aughty Mts) I'll post a map at a later stage.
If anybody has any questions about what areas are and are not in the recording area I am happy to answer them. If in doubt please submit the record anyway.

Records can be submitted to me or to Stephen. Please email or PM me for details.
So please dig out those old notebooks and make your sightings count. I can think of some records from this thread from only the last few months.
Thanks
Tom.

153 Arctic Skua (Kinvara)

The first Saturday of the month with Tim Griffin yield a strange duck spotted by Brendan Dunne on the slipway at Nimmo's and still there this evening with Mallard who give it a hard time on and of. Looks like Heinz 57 has produced Heinz 58. Possible duck x goose hybrid. Any suggestions.

For those interested in digiscoping the shot attached of the Wheatear was taken with Nikon 82ED + adapter + Coolpix 8400

Very nice Wheatear picture Tom. All the better as it was digiscoped.

That Duck/Goose is one for the BF Identification forum.

Were there many Skuas about do you know?

Tom
The only report I have is the 3 Buzzards still knocking around the the Ballymore area.
Taking to Tim Griffin there were 2 Arctic Skuas one mobbing Sandwich Terns and the other out in the bay.

Brendan
I am three years digiscoping. The reason I posted that shot is the fact I think it is the best shot I have every got from any of my set ups to date and took over 20 shots to get that one. don't give up just yet.

Just up loaded a video of the same Wheatear using the same set up.
http://www.birdforum.tv/action/viewvideo/612/Wheatear/

Tom

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back