• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Passive IR binoculars used in birding? (1 Viewer)

(...) This is where a more discreet device has advantages - something like the Therm-app which attaches to a mobile is less likely to be detected or recognised - but there is a big difference in performance!

I fully agree. And I think the Therm-app units are quite cute devices though I just know what youtube videos show. Shurely even the <9Hz version helpes you finding things which never could be discovered without it.

Cheers :)

Some more impressions

As long as you are interrested / nobody says "Stop please", I'm going to post some further pics from time to time.

Here is some creature watching me, 20 Mins after sunset..

Attachments

• F46D39E5-C9B6-4458-B3C2-DE58AD761411.jpg
    F46D39E5-C9B6-4458-B3C2-DE58AD761411.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Scanning the trees..

A familiar face is watching me (phonescoped with Kowa 883, 25-60 and attached iPhone SE).
The image from the last post (overview), the thermal image and the phonescoped image are all made from exactly the same place. Distance about 25m.

And here's a short footage from flying off,
https://vimeo.com/247627249
distance at the end was about 100m.

Attachments

• AA9A1E99-BD2E-4AA9-8303-A814EE00C79A.jpeg
    AA9A1E99-BD2E-4AA9-8303-A814EE00C79A.jpeg
    52.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 7F7BB251-84D9-41A0-A2E8-782F770CEDB7.jpeg
    7F7BB251-84D9-41A0-A2E8-782F770CEDB7.jpeg
    440.9 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Thanks Vollmeise - you've certainly got my attention :t:

I have occasionally had my scope and camera on a tandem mount both centred on the same spot (while watching birds of prey) finding the bird with the scope and turning on the video on the camera - with mixed results. It occurs to me that the thermal imager and scope could be paired in a similar way - possibly with a light source too for nocturnal viewing.

Cheers

Phil

I agree, aligning scope and thermal imager should be one of the next jobs. Maybe I'm going to install a second quick release mount on the tripod, to swap easily between handheld and aligned tripod use.

Hi Vollmeise,

I agree, aligning scope and thermal imager should be one of the next jobs.

What type of scope are you using? I've been experimenting with 3D-printed adapters, including one that provides a NATO rail. I'm using them for reflex sights ("red dot" sights), but I'd imagine a thermal imager be NATO-rail compatible too, or could be make compatible with a small adapter.

Regards,

Henning

Hi Hauksen,

I‘m using a Kowa scope with angled view (Kowa 883), connected by Manfrotto‘s standard square quick release plate. The thermal imager can be mounted via 1/4“ photo thread only. There are other devices from Pulsar which can be mounted to NATO rail, my handheld Helion XP50 cannot.

So I‘m going to construct a kind of mounting bridge to place several devices side by side. Adjustable both in azimuth and elevation.

Maybe I‘m going to find some time in the new Year.

Here's a few photos of my tandem set-up.

tandem support 1.jpg

Simply a small strip of mild steel with a couple of holes drilled in it with a very cheap head mounted on it. If the arm was longer, extending on both sides of the scope, it would be easy to mount a third device like a spotlight on it.

close up tandem support 2.jpg

The head has actually impressed me a lot - seems well made with every adjustment you can think of and a QR plate.

close up tandem support 3.jpg

I had to adapt the QR plate from the tripod a bit to accommodate the second screw - you can see where I ground a little bit off. Works well like this as I can remove the tandem arm in seconds while the plate is still attached to the scope.

close up tandem support 4.jpg

The only awkward bit was tapping a hole in the end of the arm to pick up the second screw - it's an old fashioned 1\4" thread.

Hi Vollmeise,

So I‘m going to construct a kind of mounting bridge to place several devices side by side. Adjustable both in azimuth and elevation.

Ah, I see. I'm actually using a Kowa 883 too, but the Helion XP50 would in fact require a different mounting than the one I'm using. The reflex sight is just fine (in fact, maybe better) some distance away from your eye, while I think you would have to put your eye right up to the eyepiece of the Helion, just as when using the scope itself.

(My experiments with side-by-side mounts using 1/4" tripod screws is that it's difficult to get reliable and repeatable aligment.)

Regards,

Henning

Moin!

The repeatable alignment of side by side attachments could be an issue indeed.
Regardless to its extra weight I really like Torchepot‘s way with a ballhead aside.

Using the tripod mounted helion is quite comfortable as you can mirror the viewfinder's image to your mobile phone/tablet. OK, that makes a further holder necessary and the whole setup scope/thermal imager/tablet/red dot sight is going to get a bit bulky.

So don't be surprised if a task force appears someday when using these tools in public 3:)

Last edited:
Moin!

Regardless to its extra weight I really like Torchepot‘s way with a ballhead aside.

Agreed, the use of the elongated adapter plate to avoid use of the central screw to carry two items is quite ingenious.

I've been told by a Kowa guy who had seen quite a few home-built rigs over the years that people usually "stack" two plates on a long single screw, and suffer from "softness" as a result.

Using the tripod mounted helion is quite comfortable as you can mirror the viewfinder's image to your mobile phone/tablet. OK, that makes a further holder necessary and the whole setup scope/thermal imager/tablet/red dot sight is going to get a bit bulky.

Hm, on the other hand, that also simplifies the mounting for the Helion itself. If it had a NATO rail, it would work with my adapter:

P1270355s.jpg

I believe I could come up with a NATO-to-tripod-screw adapter fairly easily. In fact, I've been thinking about one myself because I have an action cam with tripod threads ...

For the phone, a bike adapter like this one might work: amazon link: bike adapter ... you only need to provide a simple tube on your rig then.

Regards,

Henning

Moin!

To serve several accessories side by side i ordered that 180 mm mounting rail (MENGS® BPL-180) yesterday:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00IR4WPG8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This rail will be mounted with a manfrotto 200PL quick release plate right on the tripod's head. To get a stiffer junction, I'm going to place some extra screws.

The rail will carry the scope at it's left side (also with an extra quick release mount) and the Helion at the other side. To adjust the Helion's collimation with the scopes view I ordered that leveller, which can be levelled +/- 15 degrees in height and 360 degrees around:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01GDVYJ56/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Maybe at the end of the week I can show some pics of that setting.
By the way, I ordered the 28mm Helion lens meanwhile and of course will share my experience if someone want's to know.

Well, does someone think the last posts strayed somewhat from the subject and maybe it was more helpful to others if I started a new thread?

Last, not least:
@Henning: quite a well done red dot mounting you showed us. I'm sure catching birds in flight is much more relaxed this way, despite the scope's angled view. This will surely be one of the next to-does optimizing my setup.

Last edited:
Moin!

The rail will carry the scope at it's left side (also with an extra quick release mount) and the Helion at the other side. To adjust the Helion's collimation with the scopes view I ordered that leveller, which can be levelled +/- 15 degrees in height and 360 degrees around:

Ah, interesting piece of hardware! Using three screws for collimation sounds like it's going to take some tinkering, I'd imagine, but from the looks of the part, it will not go out of collimation easily! Do I understand it correctly it mounts to a 3/8" screw, though?

By the way, I ordered the 28mm Helion lens meanwhile and of course will share my experience if someone want's to know.

Certainly! :) A new thread, and an outgoing link from this one for continuity, and I think we'd be set up nicely.

@Henning: quite a well done red dot mounting you showed us. I'm sure catching birds in flight is much more relaxed this way, despite the scope's angled view. This will surely be one of the next to-does optimizing my setup.

Let me know what you need when it comes to that ... I have modelled a NATO rail already, and putting it on a small arm to put it where you need it, with a baseplate of sorts, might be the simplest way to solve this.

(I already have 3D printable NATO-rail-on-tripod-screw and NATO-rail-on-hotshoe adapters "on the shelf".)

Viel Spaß!

Henning

Moin!
Ah, interesting piece of hardware! Using three screws for collimation sounds like it's going to take some tinkering, I'd imagine, but from the looks of the part, it will not go out of collimation easily! Do I understand it correctly it mounts to a 3/8" screw, though? (...)

You're almost right. The three screws are not for levelling, they are just to hold the mounted device more properly.

To align the collimation of the device, loosen the leveller's knob, move the leveler like a ball head (it is a flat ballhead indeed, with limited margins) and tighten again - that's it.

Moin!

To serve several accessories side by side i ordered that 180 mm mounting rail (MENGS® BPL-180) yesterday:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00IR4WPG8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This rail will be mounted with a manfrotto 200PL quick release plate right on the tripod's head. To get a stiffer junction, I'm going to place some extra screws.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01GDVYJ56/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Well, does someone think the last posts strayed somewhat from the subject and maybe it was more helpful to others if I started a new thread?

Last, not least:

Interesting stuff Vollmeise

I really like those adapters from MENGS I've never seen them before. Looks like they would help scope and thermal device (or camera) line up better on the horizontal plane.
I found with my tandem set-up that I never had to tweak the vertical adjustment much but that if I switched from distant to near views then parralax issues would mean I'd have to adjust the horizontal setting. I like the look of the adapter with the QR plate but I can't find a supplier in the UK (haven't looked in France).

Looking forward to seeing your results with the wide angle lens - I've never seen a comparison before.

Cheers

Phil

(...)Let me know what you need when it comes to that ... I have modelled a NATO rail already, and putting it on a small arm to put it where you need it, with a baseplate of sorts, might be the simplest way to solve this. (...)

Moin! Well, as I ordered a simple red/green dot sight some minutes ago with this mount: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00IODSYTO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

your mounting solution indeed could be helpful, if I won't find a proper solution to mount it. Just have to hold it in my hands to get an idea :h?:

Starting a separate thread is a good idea..

I really like those adapters from MENGS I've never seen them before. (...) I like the look of the adapter with the QR plate but I can't find a supplier in the UK (haven't looked in France).

I think MENGS is a label just sold in Germany, try to search for "photo plate arca" in www.amazon.co.uk and you'll see the same items branded under various trademarks (but MENGS).

And for a leveller in amazon.co.uk just look here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/HDY-55-Uni...rs=10606921031&ie=UTF8&qid=1513700750&sr=8-69

@Hauksen: Hast 'ne PM

Last edited:
Moin!

Well, as I ordered a simple red/green dot sight some minutes ago with this mount: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00IODSYTO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Excellent, that's just the sight I'd have recommended! :)

(And almost exactly the sight I have, except I that accidentally bought the variant for dovetail mounts. Naming conventions for rails are a mess, unfortunately.)

One very good point about this sight is that it has not only the standard red reticle lighting, but also green lighting, which on a bright sunny day is much more visible. The larger reticle shapes also help ... personally, I like the ring best.

(I later ordered another sight with the standard small red dot, and sent it back because in sunlight, the dot became virtually invisible.)

Tschüs!

Henning

I found a couple of MENGS plates on amazon.uk https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Actually I don't have enough issues lining up my existing tandem set-up, but if I start using it more I may get one.

One thing I don't really understand is why you need the red/green sight? Surely with the two devices mounted in tandem the thermal imager will serve as the ultimate "target" locator?

If it's just to help when lining up the scope on it's own - have you tried the cable tie sight? You can just see one on the first photo of my set-up (beside the stone face!) - I made a tiny hole in the stay-on case with a hot needle and fixed the tie to the scope. Took a little getting used to but it's so simple and one less thing to adjust - plus it weighs next to nothing and is virtually free!

If it's just to help when lining up the scope on it's own - have you tried the cable tie sight?

Right, it‘s just to align the scope itself more convenient, esp. when following birds in flight.

I tried the tie trick already, but as a tech junky the red dot sight has to be tested :-D

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back