• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Micro 4/3 Cam and Lenses for Wildlife Photography & Max Zooms for Micro 4/3? (2 Viewers)

On current m4/3 cameras from panasonic, there is an option for using a smaller portion of the sensor for jpg only images. That acts a little like zooming in on the image in the viewfinder before taking the picture, and often results in better AF on distant birds.

Disclaimer: I usually forget about that option because I have my camera set at raw shooting.
disclaimer 2: I think but am not positive the Oly m4/3 cameras have something similar.

Niels

xMagnification

Hi,

FYI: You cannot use figures such as "60x" to compare magifications of lenses in different cameras. 60x wrt a superzoom means the highest magnification is 60 times more than the lowest magnification. All superzooms have lower magnifications that are less than the human eye, so 60x does not mean 60 times what your eye would see. With binoculars and other optics, 60x does mean 60 times what the eye sees, however. With micro 4/3 cameras, magnification is usually specified in terms of mm of focal length for a 35mm camera.

Jim

I only just read up about this myself. First of all, what's obvious from the front of the lens and a little division, the "x" magnification rating of a camera lens is just the long angle focal length divided by the wide angle focal length. So on a bona fide 35mm camera, an 18-180mm lens would be 10x. Obviously though that's not ten times what's normal to the human eye, it's ten times normal to a fish eye, so to speak. 1x is what you see through a normal lens--one through which the moon takes up half a degree of your field of view through your SLR viewfinder, just like it does through your naked eye. People toss various numbers around between 40mm and 50mm, but call that lens a 45mm. If 45mm is normal, then at the highest mag of a hypothetical 18-180mm full-frame camera lens, the magnification is like what you see though a so-called 4x pair of binoculars (180mm/45mm = 4). For a 4/3 format camera, a normal lens is more like 24mm. So using a 12-240mm 4/3 lens is like looking through 10x binoculars, even though in superzoom marketing terms, on a non-ILC, that would be called a 20x lens.

Last edited:
I've been using for a year and-a-half now the OMD-EM10 in combo with an TLS-APO/SWA-ATX85 and have nothing but good words for it. Here you have a set of different situations, from a close by dragonfly to a heavy-cropped distant Spanish imperial eagle in a dive.. All were taken while birding (no photo hide)

Attachments

• FAG_03042015_19691.jpg
    FAG_03042015_19691.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 819
  • FAG_20092015_27803.jpg
    FAG_20092015_27803.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 689
  • FAG_21032015_18507.jpg
    FAG_21032015_18507.jpg
    453.8 KB · Views: 625
  • FAG_27082015_26850.jpg
    FAG_27082015_26850.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 571
  • FAG_04042015_20095.jpg
    FAG_04042015_20095.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 899
take it from me, if you don'y do lots of videos take the Lumix 100-300 mm not the 75-300mm, with any OM.

Hi Ammadoux,

How is the Lumix 100-300 better than the Oly 100-300?

Sharpness open / colour or contrast / lens flare resistance / better focusing?

Will have to buy one or the other soon.

Hi Ammadoux,

How is the Lumix 100-300 better than the Oly 100-300?

Sharpness open / colour or contrast / lens flare resistance / better focusing?

Will have to buy one or the other soon.

Hello

the Lumix is faster which made a difference for me even in very sunny Jeddah. the Lumix seem to be faster in focus. Stopping down the lumix makes you get real sharp images.

i am not saying the Olympus is not good, but if mine stop working for any reason and i don't have 1800 USD for the Lumix 100-400mm, i will get me another Lumix 100-300.but as i said before videos is much better with Olympus 75-300mm + IBIS of the camera.

Thanks a mil! Feedback very much appreciated. Tough choice as I do 75% pics 25% video.

Hello

the Lumix is faster which made a difference for me even in very sunny Jeddah. the Lumix seem to be faster in focus. Stopping down the lumix makes you get real sharp images.

i am not saying the Olympus is not good, but if mine stop working for any reason and i don't have 1800 USD for the Lumix 100-400mm, i will get me another Lumix 100-300.but as i said before videos is much better with Olympus 75-300mm + IBIS of the camera.

FYI: You cannot use figures such as "60x" to compare magifications of lenses in different cameras. 60x wrt a superzoom means the highest magnification is 60 times more than the lowest magnification. All superzooms have lower magnifications that are less than the human eye, so 60x does not mean 60 times what your eye would see. With binoculars and other optics, 60x does mean 60 times what the eye sees, however. With micro 4/3 cameras, magnification is usually specified in terms of mm of focal length for a 35mm camera.
Having gone through the "SuperZoom vs. MFT" debate myself, +1 to Jim's comments. Always use "35mm equivalent" as your comparison for long-distance photography. The "x60" and "x50" and such numbers are...pretty much useless.

Even "actual focal length" is fairly useless unless you wade through the math for crop factors of various sensors. Camera makers list "35mm equivalent" and that is the best number to work with.

There are a couple lenses as I recall (or lens plus teleconverter) for the MFT system to get you way, way out there, but not as far as available DLSR lens.

In my case budget + distance trumped perfectionist quality, so I went with the superzoom. I keep looking at MFT, but keep having to walk away. And DSLR will likely forever be a non-starter.

I hope you find what best suits you though!

Having gone through the "SuperZoom vs. MFT" debate myself, +1 to Jim's comments. Always use "35mm equivalent" as ......

Actually, whenever I use X zoom, my reference is 50mm to compare with what is reported for binoculars and spotting scopes. For me, 600mm = X12.

there are many options for m4/3 bodies, i have used EPL1, EPL5, OM D10 all are great.

the first two don't have a view finder, EPL1 is old, EPL5 have a new version EPL7 with wifi connection, but both are very small and not comfortable to handle even for a person with very small hands like me.

OM D10 is an excellent choice as the other more professional OM bodies, currently i am using the top end OM DE1.

for lenses i have tried both the Lumix 100-300 mm, and the new Olympus Zuiko 75-300mm.

the only reason i stopped using the Lumix is that is stopped working. so i decided to get the Zuiko, and i wish i got another Lumix.

both can produce excellent IQ, and at 300 mm on a 4/3 sensor this means 600 mm equivalent in the full frame.also there is an in body digital digital teleconverter, which makes 300mm = 600 mm, that is 1200 mm on the full frame.

the Lumix has a fantastic OIS, worked well with me, and also one stop faster.

the Zuiko, don't have the IS, but the in body IS of the Olympus cameras is superb. this lens is better for videos, but i have liked the IQ i got form the Lumix. not much difference, and honestly both are good value for money, compact you can take them with the camera with you everywhere.

hope that helps. here are some results i got with the lumix

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/473550/ppuser/71763

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/465189/ppuser/71763

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/460607/ppuser/71763

and some results form the Zuiko

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/518070/ppuser/71763

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/517044/ppuser/71763

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/505226/ppuser/71763
I am aware that this is an old thread but....
Hi ammadoux
I really want to see your photos with the Lumix 100-300 mm. But can see nothing in your gallery at all. I thought it was my browser so I turned everything off & switched browsers but to no avail. I clicked on njlarsen's gallery & some others & can see everything. Is there a problem with your gallery at the moment?
lovely desert friend - BirdForum Gallery.png

ammadoux Gallery - BirdForum Gallery.jpg

I am aware that this is an old thread but....
Hi ammadoux
I really want to see your photos with the Lumix 100-300 mm. But can see nothing in your gallery at all. I thought it was my browser so I turned everything off & switched browsers but to no avail. I clicked on njlarsen's gallery & some others & can see everything. Is there a problem with your gallery at the moment?
View attachment 646458

View attachment 646459

Have you looked at the flickr group for the 100-300

https://www.flickr.com/groups/1573083@N21/pool/with/26611618069/

If you where tempted to buy S/H remember there have been two versions, the second is best,not sure if its any sharper but it has the faster focus motor in from the 100-400, makes it a lot better for moving subjects.

Have you looked at the flickr group for the 100-300

https://www.flickr.com/groups/1573083@N21/pool/with/26611618069/

If you where tempted to buy S/H remember there have been two versions, the second is best,not sure if its any sharper but it has the faster focus motor in from the 100-400, makes it a lot better for moving subjects.
No but I will now. Thanks for that very much appreciated:t:
Definitely won't get secondhand because I'm a coward but again useful to know. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back