• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Linnet & Redpoll? Germany (1 Viewer)

Andy Hurley

Gotta love nature!
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hi,
saw these this morning, would like confirmation please

1 Linnet
2 Redpoll?

I saw them seconds apart in parkland and the 2nd one is confusing me a bit. I thought they would all be gone by now

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_9329.jpg
    DSC_9329.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC_9335.JPG
    DSC_9335.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 134
Yup Linnet and looks like Lesser Redpoll which breeds in the alps

Thanks for that quick reply, I live in Paderborn with is about 7 hours drive north of the Alps so is this just a straggler?

Edit ok your correction makes sense thanks

That was why I rewrote. I know the population is largely centred on the alps but I have no idea how far it penetrates into Germany. There is also the chance it could be a very brown Mealy on the way north I guess.

Thanks for the link Sandra, it looks interesting. I would have no difficulty with German names as I am based in Germany and post on German forums so I need to be familiar with the names and because my wife and many of my friends are German I label all my folders bilingually.

lesser redpoll has spread over most of central/central-east germany in recent decades, paderborn probably being on the northern edge of breeding range.

cheers

The reason why I suggested this book was that it gives much more info than other field guides and in great detail (e.g. appearance, where in Germany you might encounter the bird, call, diet, habitat, behaviour etc). I too am bilingual and discuss birds with German friends so this book was exactly what I was after when I entered a German bookshop last summer! :-O

Last edited:
lesser redpoll has spread over most of central/central-east germany in recent decades, paderborn probably being on the northern edge of breeding range.

cheers

Thanks Lou, its funny that i've been birding here for 2 years and before seeing 2 today i never saw any.

The reason why I suggested this book was that it gives much more info than other field guides and in great detail (e.g. appearance, where in Germany you might encounter the bird, call, diet, habitat, behaviour etc). I too am bilingual and discuss birds with German friends so this book was exactly what I was after when I entered a German bookshop last summer! :-O

Sandra, another good book is a location guide to North German sites http://www.amazon.de/Vögel-beobachten-Norddeutschland-Beobachtungsgebiete-Niederrhein/dp/3440107795 We are starting to go on weekend trips to the various locations in the book.

Not exactly Germany but does anyone here know which redpoll breeds in Denmark? I remember finding them increasingly often in summer in East Jylland when I was over visiting family, but that was before the redpolls were split, so I neglected to look at them in any detail

Not exactly Germany but does anyone here know which redpoll breeds in Denmark? I remember finding them increasingly often in summer in East Jylland when I was over visiting family, but that was before the redpolls were split, so I neglected to look at them in any detail

Finches (Fringillidae)
Lesser Redpoll (Carduelis cabaret) - HBW 15, p. 563

French: Sizerin cabaret German: Alpenbirkenzeisig Spanish: Pardillo Alpino

Taxonomy: Fringilla cabaret Statius Müller, 1776, Europe.
Previously placed in genus Acanthis. Was until recently considered conspecific with C. flammea, and evidence from mitochondrial DNA suggests that the two, together with C. hornemanni, are probably best regarded as closely related sister-species or forming a superspecies; despite wide genetic variation within their ranges, however, recent studies have found little support for lineage division between arctic-breeding and boreal-breeding redpolls, and comprehensive review of gene flow still required in order to determine species limits; pending conclusions of any review, may.. View all taxonomy...

Distribution: Breeds British Is, SW Norway, S Sweden, Denmark, and N & NE France E to S Belgium and Netherlands; also N & C Germany, Alps (from SE France E to Austria) and Carpathians (SE Czech Republic and S Poland, possibly also N Romania). Widespread in NC & S Europe in non-breeding season.Introduced in New Zealand. I think also Arctic breeds in DK

Breeds+: C&N Slovakia, C&S Czech republik ...

Finches (Fringillidae)
Lesser Redpoll (Carduelis cabaret) - HBW 15, p. 563

French: Sizerin cabaret German: Alpenbirkenzeisig Spanish: Pardillo Alpino

Taxonomy: Fringilla cabaret Statius Müller, 1776, Europe.
Previously placed in genus Acanthis. Was until recently considered conspecific with C. flammea, and evidence from mitochondrial DNA suggests that the two, together with C. hornemanni, are probably best regarded as closely related sister-species or forming a superspecies; despite wide genetic variation within their ranges, however, recent studies have found little support for lineage division between arctic-breeding and boreal-breeding redpolls, and comprehensive review of gene flow still required in order to determine species limits; pending conclusions of any review, may.. View all taxonomy...

Distribution: Breeds British Is, SW Norway, S Sweden, Denmark, and N & NE France E to S Belgium and Netherlands; also N & C Germany, Alps (from SE France E to Austria) and Carpathians (SE Czech Republic and S Poland, possibly also N Romania). Widespread in NC & S Europe in non-breeding season.Introduced in New Zealand. I think also Arctic breeds in DK

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back