• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Headland that just keeps giving! (1 Viewer)

I hope you are not suggesting that I was deliberately attempting to mislead?

No, just pointing out where Mark saw that you had named it. For what its worth, Sedge Warbler for me. Cracking Ruppells picture though.

Last edited:
What a wonderful end to what sounds like a great visit! That Ruppell's is simply stunning, congratulations on a great find and a super Lifer Ken! I look forward to your next trip immensely!

Chris

See, I was thinking this was Lanzarote, by day two I was thinking what an awesome trip list this was ... !

Still not bad going though ;)

(You have to expect the unexpected/think rare etc but of course given two options, one being a lot commoner (even if you haven't personally encountered it) and one an area first ... still think rare until proven otherwise lol)

No, just pointing out where Mark saw that you had named it. For what its worth, Sedge Warbler for me. Cracking Ruppells picture though.

Correct Jos...and that suggested to me at least that Ken had decided on that species...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 21.16.00.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 21.16.00.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 142
Superb Ruppell's Ken. Probably my favourate warbler-species.

Thanks Nick...all credit to Mike Nesbitt for that one, also this 1st Image, for my money has to be the best Wryneck shot that I've ever seen! The rest were taken by my point and shoot, with the last one, low on resolution...but big on ''drama''...Hoopoe sandwiched between two ''Birders''. :eek!:

Attachments

• Mike's Wryneck.jpg
    Mike's Wryneck.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 182
  • P1490006.jpeg   Woodchat 1..jpeg
    P1490006.jpeg Woodchat 1..jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 140
  • P1470628.jpeg  Sub.8..jpg
    P1470628.jpeg Sub.8..jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 148
  • P1490160.jpeg  Ficedula Fly.......jpg
    P1490160.jpeg Ficedula Fly.......jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 153
  • P1470493.jpeg    Just a little bit closer.....jpeg
    P1470493.jpeg Just a little bit closer.....jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 166
That Subby is also a corker !

Certainly the best ever views that I've ever had of both! I think I'd be hard placed to separate the two at the finishing post...possibly a pristine male Subalpine might just get it...on the other hand....Sardinian might also be a contender.....?

FWIW I was surprised how blue/grey the upper-parts of male Ruppell's were, comparing very well with male Subalpine...illustrated grey in Collins and described as such....but then it is only a field guide. ;)

Cheers

Attachments

• P1480833.jpeg  Sardinian Warbler 1..jpg
    P1480833.jpeg Sardinian Warbler 1..jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 129
  • P1490102.jpeg   Ruppell's 2..jpeg
    P1490102.jpeg Ruppell's 2..jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 145
  • P1470877.jpeg  Subalp.6..jpg
    P1470877.jpeg Subalp.6..jpg
    484.3 KB · Views: 139
Sounds like wonderful migration birding- and some terrific shots Ken.

The Nightingale with the butterfly is tremendous especially with the Great Tit in the same pose

Cheers
Mike

Sounds like wonderful migration birding- and some terrific shots Ken.

The Nightingale with the butterfly is tremendous especially with the Great Tit in the same pose

Cheers
Mike

Cheers Mike and all "non trolls"....I had been trying to "shoot" Nightingale without much success due to their less than confiding nature, however with good numbers about, I felt I was in with a chance. Which unexpectedly presented itself whilst I was stalking a Collared Fly....when down dropped Luscinia..barely four metres away....clearly such was the "pull" of it's protein rich body, that I became just a secondary irritation! :t:

That's a great report and very enjoyable thread Ken! I have been visiting friends in Cyprus for a number of years but friends living in Nicosia so much of my birding there is out of season. My only spring visit to your favourite headland was one day in May when the place was full of good migrants, including Orphean Warbler, Black eared Wheatear, assorted yellow wagtails etc... That said, migrants can turn up anywhere. In the Nicosia back garden of my friends on one spring day I had a singing Barred Warbler, followed by a singing Red-backed Shrike in the same bush 2 hours later, and Masked Shrike in a nearby garden! Keep up the good work Ken!

That's a great report and very enjoyable thread Ken! I have been visiting friends in Cyprus for a number of years but friends living in Nicosia so much of my birding there is out of season. My only spring visit to your favourite headland was one day in May when the place was full of good migrants, including Orphean Warbler, Black eared Wheatear, assorted yellow wagtails etc... That said, migrants can turn up anywhere. In the Nicosia back garden of my friends on one spring day I had a singing Barred Warbler, followed by a singing Red-backed Shrike in the same bush 2 hours later, and Masked Shrike in a nearby garden! Keep up the good work Ken!

:t: Cheers Charles

Hi Ken

On a personal note it brought back many memories of my days on Cyprus.

The last time I was there, access to Paphos headland was really difficult with the fenced off area stopping general roaming - back in the early 1990s you could go anywhere.

What is access like now?

Brian

Hi Ken

On a personal note it brought back many memories of my days on Cyprus.

The last time I was there, access to Paphos headland was really difficult with the fenced off area stopping general roaming - back in the early 1990s you could go anywhere.

What is access like now?

Brian

Brian Hi

Access 4.5 Euros for non seniors 2.25 Euros for Seniors, between 8.30am-5pm each day. They don't encourage "afters" but you can always leave through the exit only turnstile at the entrance. That said..most of the goodies can be found outside.

Cheers

Two years since I have been, but there used to be secret gaps in the fence to access the headland at the end of a cul-de-sac called Saranta Kolonon, last year they were 'sewn up'. See Googlemaps.

Access otherwise at official entrance is from about 8.30pm if I recall.

Sounds like Ken hit a bit of a purple patch, though it can of course often deliver as much as it fails. Seen plenty of goodies there same as Ken 1 Ruppells, 2-3 Subbys, 2-3 Collared Flys, Pallid Harrier's, Wrynecks etc.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back