• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Report images in the Gallery with the wrong scientific name (2 Viewers)

Thanks!

Not sure if this is the right place to report this regarding the Gallery guideline "Please do not post any photos of NESTS, EGGS OR CAPTIVE OR DOMESTIC CREATURES", but I can't find anywhere else – this pic:
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=323028
was taken at the Alaska SeaLife Center in Seward (a zoo): note (a) the birds appear to be pinioned, with only one full wing each, and (b) the species does not occur naturally in this part of Alaska, but (c) the zoo has holdings of the species. Should it be deleted from the Gallery?

It's right on the top of the first row of pics in the Gallery. Although I would like to see that part highlighted in a different color.

As I'm not aware of that area could you PM the poster and ask if this image was taken at a zoo? If he says no, there's not much we can do unless admin has a different thought.

Thanks! I just checked, the poster (Michael Daniel Ho) hasn't posted anything for nearly 5 years (Nov 2012), so I doubt very much that there'd be any answer to a PM.

Dang! I was so darn busy yesterday, I didn't realize who posted it and I know Mike from Facebook. My bad cause I am aware that he does post images of captives on there.

Chris is a moderator and I sure as hell am not deleting his image as he knows the rules as much as any mod.

Just seen this. I added a comment to the photo saying it's a Puna Teal.
Is it judged more tactful to post errors here or as a comment on the photo?
Up to now I have tended to post a comment if the ID is wrong (or by pm if I just thought it needed checking), and only use this thread if the ID was correct but the scientific name was wrong.

I have had quite a few snotty or rude responses, mainly by pm, and it is clear some gallery posters really don't care about the accuracy of their posts. (Most are polite and appreciative) I have a thick skin so this doesn't matter, and I do think it is important that photos are correctly ID'd so when a google image search is done only correct images appear. That said, I would like to suggest corrections in the preferred route by the moderators, so can one of you advise please?

How much importance do the moderators put on BF image ID accuracy on a scale of 1-10?
And on the regular portrayal of pinioned (and hence captive) waterfowl?

Mick

Edit: I should add that when I'm not 100% sure I will suggest a further check using the ID forum by pm, but this is sometimes ignored.

Last edited:
Hi Mick

The way you handle it is absolutely fine, and much what I generally do.

This thread is really to try and keep the pictures showing through the GSearch link in The Opus correct. Or as correct as possible that is. Sometimes multiple species are mentioned in an image, and that can be reflected in the results.

So carry on, please with how you do it. And I'd never take offence... just go a bit red-faced, when I get one wrong;)

OK Done.

Though I've not included the subspecies of rossicus, as on checking with Avibase, it's the nominate that goes to Italy?

How strange! I was sure I'd seen reference to Italy.

I see both subspecies occur in France, though Avibase only mention Picardie for serrirostris.... not conclusive though I know.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back