• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta why so expensive? They are made in Czech Republic NOT in Germany or Austria (5 Viewers)

I think that's mainly a matter of time.
Their surge in binocular ratings and the "buzz" is only recent.
I cannot find any Meoptas yet in the stores in Mass that carry good stuff.
It's mainly names from the early-20th-century "moderate price quality wave",
Like the Nikon big porros, ProStaffs and Monarchs 3,5, etc, Vortx, Alpen, etc...

Meopta would be mail-order for me, too, and that's in Massachusetts.
There's a Cabela's 65 miles away in Maine. Maybe on the way to see the folks..

Meopta has a large plant on Long Island, NY which employs 120 people. Check the address on the bottom of the link attached.

The Mass. Audubon Store in Lincoln, Mass has carried Meopta Optics, at least they did in 2012. See this link:

http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/us/news/mass-audubon-fall-optics-sale.html

Bob

why so expensive?

I have not had the time to do a side by side comparison between my
10x32HD and my 8x32FL, but the meopta/euro seem almost as good
at 1/3 the price

edj

I think that's mainly a matter of time.
Their surge in binocular ratings and the "buzz" is only recent.
I cannot find any Meoptas yet in the stores in Mass that carry good stuff.
It's mainly names from the early-20th-century "moderate price quality wave",
Like the Nikon big porros, ProStaffs and Monarchs 3,5, etc, Vortx, Alpen, etc...

Meopta would be mail-order for me, too, and that's in Massachusetts.
There's a Cabela's 65 miles away in Maine. Maybe on the way to see the folks..

O_N,

And don't forget to pick up some lobsters while you're there! Once when I was staying at my girlfriend's parent's cabin in Vermont, she decided that we should get some lobster, so we drove from VT, though New Hampshire to the Maine coast to find a restaurant that served lobster. Well, to our surprise, there is a season for lobster in Maine! We tried five seafood restaurants and none of them had any lobster!

"Not even a scrid of bug left, I'm afraid, but how abaht some clam chowdah or some steamers?"

Brock

I used to haul a few lobster with my brother on my mom's license. Just
enough for family use, in Maine. Oddly enough, the quantity keeps going up
even as they harvest more. You can find them in salt water tanks in grocery
stores all over the East, and live tanks at some Midwest airports.
There's a lot more lobster than Meopta out there ;-)

To be fair, I have been birding for almost four decades and have never seen a pair in north america. Maybe it's a euro. thing?

Seen 'em in shops here, but never seen a birder using them in the UK or elsewhere when birding in continental Europe (mainly Spain). I've the impression that they seeped into the birding market in the USA via the huntin' market. Said market in the USA is far larger than in the UK which also tends to be more dominated by 'toffs' who can afford alphas!

The subject of this 3 year old thread is "Meopta, why so expensive?"

Post 19 was dated December 2010.

Post 20 was dated yesterday, over 3 years later.

OP was complaining in post #1 of not being able to find a Meopta 7x42 for less than $850.00 in December of 2010.

In retrospect, IMHO this is not expensive any more.

Bob

Isn't that the truth Bob?

;)

Glad to see Meopta, now three years later, almost a "household word" in many a binocuholic's mouth. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back