• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Worlds Funniest Bird Name? (2 Viewers)

Chriswilko

Allergic to feathers
Was chatting to a mate in the pub last night and we were trying to come up with the worlds funniest bird name. The best we could do (with our sense of hunour) was Rough Faced Shag.

Are there any better out there?

cockoftherock, red faced booby, chuckwillswidow, any type of shag.

wrentit - how do you have a cross between a tit and a wren? there soooo different

ls

StuartReeves said:
I've always had a soft spot for Oleaginous Hemispingus.

I was looking at that one yesterday (in the comfort of my armchair rather than out in the field) and thought it was a great name. Guttulated Foliage-gleaner is another good one.

Another favourite is Spangled Drongo. Say it with a good strong Australian accent and it makes a great insult.

Stuart, I seem to remember you also had a particular affection for the Wongai Ningaui and the Ningbing False Antechinus. We'll have to go on a combined grasswren/ningaui road trip one day.

E

Edward said:
Stuart, I seem to remember you also had a particular affection for the Wongai Ningaui and the Ningbing False Antechinus. We'll have to go on a combined grasswren/ningaui road trip one day.

E

Certainly Edward, there's a whole world of amusingly-named Australian wildlife out there that I'd still like to see.

Stuart

I think the names given to some of New Zealand's birds take some beating: Morepork, Wandering Tattler and Flesh-footed shearwater conjure up wonderful images, but my favourite is the Shy Mollymawk.

StuartReeves said:
Certainly Edward, there's a whole world of amusingly-named Australian wildlife out there that I'd still like to see.

Stuart

Heres a few more Australian ones:

White-capped Noddy
Wompoo Pigeon
Noisy pitta
Weebill
Willy Wagtail

curassows, guans and chachalacas... loons... thicknees... oo.... poo uli, akikiki, akiapolaau, kakawahie, nukupuu, alauahio

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back