• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Does Anyone Count Dead Birds As "Lifers"? (1 Viewer)

I do. Generally, I will try and breed the adult if it is permitted. Some caterpillars are more distinctive than adults for instance you can separate Grey and Dark Daggers as caterpillars but not adults (save for dissection) and you can only be really confident separating Narrow-bordered and Five-spot Burnets as caterpillars. I've also helped out on larval surveys on species that I wanted to see.

Further, some species are also easier to find as larvae. Far easier to see all the British Pugs that way.

There are further complexities. If you collect a Sallow Clearwing gall, would you open it up to see the caterpillar or breed it through and tick the adult.

When I have the time to think about building a moth list, a proper attention to larvae and micros will be on my agenda.

Larvae/occupied leafmines would be added (I believe).

At least two of the amphibians on my lifelist are critters I have only seen in tadpole/egg mass form

I bet they're still haunted - mysterious souls are Nighthawks B :)

If people do tick dead birds, then I can find out the address of the mantelpiece on which the St Agnes Nighthawk resides. I can't guarantee that you'll be let in though so you may need to wait for an opportunity to sneak a peak through a window........ :king:

If people do tick dead birds, then I can find out the address of the mantelpiece on which the St Agnes Nighthawk resides. I can't guarantee that you'll be let in though so you may need to wait for an opportunity to sneak a peak through a window........ :king:

If Mr Praline comes along too - I'm all in; he'll make it more convincing ;)

But how about the egg of a scrubfowl, which may be left alone for quite a while (even if the parents tend to hang around)? Still sounds like a plan for some Papuan species.
I wouldn't count an egg, but it is less ridiculous than counting dead birds!

Interesting stuff. So I wonder if those who count heard onlys, would tick vocalisations coming from within the egg? And at what point would the sighting feel ok to tick? An emerging bill? I recall feeling a bit weird about counting a fluffy Tengmalm's Owl chick that I saw by peering into a nest box. It didn't feel rightfully "on" until returning the next day and getting a good look at the visiting adult.

I tick birds from sound but they have to be identifiable by me -- I doubt that the sound of a bird inside an egg would be distinctive enough for me.

Niels

But how about the egg of a scrubfowl, which may be left alone for quite a while (even if the parents tend to hang around)? Still sounds like a plan for some Papuan species.
Trouble is, they're buried in compost heaps - you won't see the eggs unless you see an adult too digging them out for turning :t:

Guess this needs further work on (from the panel) but an exciting bird like a Mallard with 12 day-old ducklings doesn't get recorded as 13 Mallard ...

Does in my notebook: Mallard 13, 1 ad 12 juv.

Why would you not? Bad science IMHO. Can't calculate anything like true mortality rates without all the data.

Sorry I spotted this late!

John

Amazed no-one has mentioned last year's Pale leg Leaf on St Agnes thus far. Clearly the OP did not read my Birdguides piece. The morbid feeling hanging over Scilly for weeks (and months, in my case) could probably have been photographed it was that apparent.

Fact, not opinion: DEAD BIRDS DON'T COUNT. ;)

Amazed no-one has mentioned last year's Pale leg Leaf on St Agnes thus far. Clearly the OP did not read my Birdguides piece. The morbid feeling hanging over Scilly for weeks (and months, in my case) could probably have been photographed it was that apparent.

Didn't want to cause another meltdown o:D

Best wishes for the autumn!

John

Thanks again for responding, everyone. That was quite a discussion!

I don't currently keep a life list. If I do at some point, however, perhaps I'll leave the Squacco Heron out as it would provide an unfair advantage over other peoples' lists.

Here's hoping I'll see a live one sooner than later!

In answer to the original question... only if I saw it die before I picked it up and showed it off to my birding chums. Not that I'd ever consider warming the thing up in my armpit/ hairdryer/car heater etc prior to doing so.

Reminder to self - must visit NHM Tring to empty - sorry have a look - in the Rubythroat drawer sometime soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back