• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (2 Viewers)

Mirella photographed a splendid male Brambling near where I live. I have never seen one here so needless to say, I will be there in the morning! Mike

A really nice day out with Mike and Susan McSwiss at Porto Colom.
Firstly, around the coastal scrub, we logged at least three Dartford warblers, several Balearic warblers and close up Fan-tailed warblers.
Later, on the sea watch we saw three Northern Gannet, a raft of interesting ducks which remain unidentified as does the distant auk species which whizzed along the horizon. Seawatching here can be great but it’s also very frustrating with many interesting looking species too far away to be sure of clinching a safe ID.

Many thanks for your great guidance and fun. Gorgeous Day.

Still searching for the ID of the raft of ducks - my first thoughts were scoters or eider ducks with their wing flapping etc but this seems very unlikely ( however the recent winds may have had an impact). If anybody has ideas?

Attachments

• B1FC8BCB-AAB0-4C8A-A33B-995BEAF72369.jpeg
    B1FC8BCB-AAB0-4C8A-A33B-995BEAF72369.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 78852CF8-B557-4D8E-A20C-BD0A69D709E7.jpeg
    78852CF8-B557-4D8E-A20C-BD0A69D709E7.jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Mike! Have you been for the red-flanked bluetail yet? Amazingly popped up on my Twitter a/c a few minutes ago, with a photo. Bizarre to get Mallorca bird news in the UK so quickly!

Stew

Red-flanked bluetail in Majorca!!!

Today, in an small water drinking pool in the Comuna de Bunyola, we have seen several Hawfinches, Siskins, Bramblings and other several birds, we have had a MEGA bomb! ona young female of Red-flanked bluetail (Tarsiger cyanurus)!!! It is a very rare bird in Europa (vagrand) and the First one for Balearic Islands, and only the 5 o 6th in Spain!!

We (Joan Mateu) and me, coudnt believe what our eyes were watching, this strange bird just 4 meters from us, Unluckylly the local robin attached her repetedly.

I upload here some pics.

Attachments

• Tarsi18.jpg
    Tarsi18.jpg
    459.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Tarsi28.jpg
    Tarsi28.jpg
    496.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Tarsi38.jpg
    Tarsi38.jpg
    462.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Tarsi58.jpg
    Tarsi58.jpg
    457.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Tarsi68.jpg
    Tarsi68.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 32
Many congratulations Pep, what a fantastic find and a real mega for Spain. A first for Mallorca is what we all dream about and I am very happy for you. Enjoy your evening and celebrate with a few beers. Stunning bird. Vagrants are often tired and weak when they arrive and they sometimes get attacked by other species. I hope it survives.
Hi Stew, yes, amazing that you may have known before I did! Mike

Last walk up Bocquer Valley for this year

The usual favourites: Booted Eagles (3), Balearic Warblers (3) and Blue Rock Thrushes(2). Osprey flew along the Valley as well. First Fieldfare seen near the car park enterence with goldfinches and greenfinches. The Black Redstarts are now establishing their territories.

Enjoy the rest of the year young at heart Birders and looking forward to even Bigger Year score in the new year

Mike

Hi everyone,

I am confident that I know what bird is shown in the attached photo, which was taken in the Puerto Pollenca area of Mallorca. However, there are other opinions being expressed as to the identity of the species.

I would appreciate anyone else's views (please), and any comment on why it is the species / age you think would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

Stew

Attachments

• Bird Photo.jpg
    Bird Photo.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 66
Juv Shag

Hi everyone,

I am confident that I know what bird is shown in the attached photo, which was taken in the Puerto Pollenca area of Mallorca. However, there are other opinions being expressed as to the identity of the species.

I would appreciate anyone else's views (please), and any comment on why it is the species / age you think would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

Stew

In with the Hawfinch invasion have been good numbers of Siskin. Also Brambling and Ring Ouzel are more numerous than usual. Wondering what rarity could be next, how about a nice rare Thrush? Mike

Thanks Stew. I have been reading up lots about Mediterranean Shag and realized how little I knew so it’s been a useful excerise. Mike

Cheers Mike - it’s interesting isn’t it? But the ID wasn’t a problem. Sadly someone seemed to think that I was arrogant for suggesting that it wasn’t a cormorant

I realise that I need to get to the Island “out of season” again - some of those species in your subsequent post would look nice on my Mallorca list!

Stew

Yes Stew, and lots of those species are much easier this year than most. Ring Ouzel, Redwing, Fieldfare, Hawfinch, Siskin, Brambling all getable. Alpine Accentor a bit later although I’m not sure you need that one. Hope you make it one day. Mike

Just an update on the Bigyear, it’s neck and neck at the top with both Pedro and Mika on 205. There have been a few good birds recently so it will be interesting to see who comes out on top.
Reaching 200 is hard here with lots of traveling involved and of course, the time to do it.
I have never reached this milestone before but I’m on 198 so I might just scrape home. As I still need Tree sparrow and Dunnock, it should be possible.
Mike

A Barnacle goose has appeared at Maristany. It seems to have been accepted as a genuine vagrant but the origin of geese is sometimes questionable. There is also a Ferruginous Duck there. I need them both for the Bigyear so I have just suggested to my wife that we go tomorrow instead of shopping in Palma. The look I got said it all. I will be on 198 for a while longer then. Mike

Found a Woodcock today on my local patch (Colonia Sant Pere/Betlem) - unfortunately a dead one. It was fresh, no rigour mortis, no signs of being shot, and didn't appear to have a broken neck. It's legs were stretched out towards the tail, as though it died in flight, but cause of death is a mystery. I just had to record it's beautiful cryptic plumage.
Congratulations to Pep on finding the Red-flanked Bluetail. What a fantastic bird!

Attachments

• IMG_2137.jpg
    IMG_2137.jpg
    766.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2147.jpg
    IMG_2147.jpg
    777.3 KB · Views: 49
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back