• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Leica September 4 2017 (2 Viewers)

I suppose it's too much to hope that this might be a re-issue of one or more of the original Leitz Trinovids. The basic optical design would still stand up. All they need to be "modern" binoculars are multcoating, dielectric prism coating and phase correction. They were all exceptionally light compared to current binoculars (8x32 - 490gr, 8/10x40 - 590gr, 7x42 - 660gr). With the right coatings they could have the highest light transmission available since they had only 10 glass-to-air surfaces. And they were lovely objects.

I suppose it's too much to hope that this might be a re-issue of one or more of the original Leitz Trinovids. The basic optical design would still stand up. All they need to be "modern" binoculars are multcoating, dielectric prism coating and phase correction. They were all exceptionally light compared to current binoculars (8x32 - 490gr, 8/10x40 - 590gr, 7x42 - 660gr). With the right coatings they could have the highest light transmission available since they had only 10 glass-to-air surfaces. And they were lovely objects.

Henry:

I agree with you, the original Leitz Trinovid is a very nice example of
beauty in optics. I have mentioned before on here I have a 10x40, and
I find it to have the best collimation of all of the binoculars I have tested.

This would be a very nice classic binocular, if dressed up in new optics.
The Leica crowd may really like a retro binocular like this.
I suppose they have this covered with the leather Ultravid BL.

Jerry

Just viewed it again...yep, looks like the new model and looks like it could be the classic design. They flash it right after the retro photos (at 16 seconds). Looking forward to Monday when it's finally revealed.

Just viewed it again...yep, looks like the new model and looks like it could be the classic design. They flash it right after the retro photos (at 16 seconds). Looking forward to Monday when it's finally revealed.

I think you are right, it is the full size Leitz Trinovid.

Only Leica would revive the Uppendahl prism design. I also respect they
brought out the Perger prism.

I like this a lot...;)

Jerry

Last edited:
Thanks Gilmore Girl. If that's the "new" binocular it's a dead ringer for one of the original Trinovids in 8x32 or larger. The 6x24 can be ruled out by the pebbling extending beyond the prism housing onto the objective tube.

Here is one, what a great binocular. The Leitz Trinovid 10x40 B.

Jerry

Attachments

• DSCN0972.JPG
    DSCN0972.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 157
I think you are right, it is the full size Leitz Trinovid.

Only Leica would revive the Uppendahl prism design. I also respect they
brought out the Perger prism.

I like this a lot...;)

Jerry

It's pretty exciting and unexpected ... a pleasant surprise.

Thanks Gilmore Girl. If that's the "new" binocular it's a dead ringer for one of the original Trinovids in 8x32 or larger. The 6x24 can be ruled out by the pebbling extending beyond the prism housing onto the objective tube.

so no 6x24 :(. That would have been great. I'm hoping for 6x/7x 32mm/35mm or even 8x32 provided ER is enough for me.
Also hope it's not a 2k binocular and the price is somewhat down to earth. I spent a lot on my UV Plus ( which I still love), but I don't want to spend that type of money again.
Something to look forward to this Monday.

You can also see that the binocular shown at 8 or 9 seconds in the youtube link (the binocular that is held in the hand while it is put into the coat pocket) is also a Leitz Trinovid.

Bob

What makes this binocular a classic and a stand out in its day?

Thanks.

It was among the first civilian binoculars with B-oculars, and it featured an internal focusing mechanism (realized through a floating group of lenses inside the eyepiece). The Leitz Trinovid series was also extremely light weight by today's standards, yet with wide fields of view.

To me, the best of the lot was the 7x35 B, an amazing binocular with a perfect ease of view.

Cheers,
Holger

Bruce

Holger is spot-on. The Trinovids were genuine internal focusing whereas my Dialyt 10x40 B and BGATs of the same era had moving objective lenses so were not really internal focusers. This never gave me problems of water or dust ingress but cleaning the objective lenses was a tricky job because the internal surface of the optical tubes always gathered a thin layer of grease where the objectives had travelled back and forth and this trapped dust and tiny fragments of vegetation.

The bellows effect of the moving objectives fed back strange changes in focus resistance when on mountain tops or in airliners.

Lee

The Ad mentions it's pocket size, so how could it be a full size bin being offered here?
Wouldn't the Ad be misleading if it's full size 40-42mm? I know the old 40mm was small, but this size
isn't generally conisidered pocket.

I only saw one classic Trinovid in person and the guy was surrounded by other birders so I never asked him about it.
It looked in great shape still. I see the later " ribbed rubber beast" version every so often when out.

I asked if they were going to release 32mm Noctovids, below is the answer I got.... Damn, I guess we shall be kept in suspense for another 4 days :)

[email protected]>
Yesterday, 11:35 PM
You
Alex,
We’re sorry but the Leica headquarters in Germany does not provide advance information about products that may be in development for future release.

Leica Camera Inc
1 Pearl Court, Unit A / Allendale, NJ 07401 / USA
www.leica-camera.com
Telephone: (+1) 800-222-0118 / Fax (+1) 201-995-1686

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back