• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (9 Viewers)

I'm afraid this is where my tolerance really does run out. ;)

Perhaps we should have a mugs gallery of known convicted egg thieves put up in the hides with a caption 'If you see any of these men hanging around UW report them to the police immediately'. Probably run foul of some human rights law though.

Seems like a sensible idea. Not sure about the legality issue but I seem to remember that they do similar in pubs for known trouble makers. Anyone know more about it.

Rob

Seems like a sensible idea. Not sure about the legality issue but I seem to remember that they do similar in pubs for known trouble makers. Anyone know more about it.

Rob

I concur with both you Rob and Dave, these scum should be stopped, we live in such a politically correct namby pamby society, show their pictures, it's the only way these lowlife will be stopped :C

Last edited:
Surely if it's published in a national paper then it's 'open source'...

I bow to your better knowledge, Sy. However, some people convicted for the same types of wildlife crimes may not have published photos - could make it more difficult to do the same for them I guess.

I bow to your better knowledge, Sy. However, some people convicted for the same types of wildlife crimes may not have published photos - could make it more difficult to do the same for them I guess.

Hi Dave - shall I put up the RSPB article (with photos) of our "friend" from Stourbridge?

I'm pretty sure the police had to stop putting up huge pictures of criminals on their B/ham HQ because it breached criminals human rights,pity the ban from nature reserves/Scotland etc can't be backed up by a tag with GPS.

Well I don't see why just putting published articles from magazines or newspapers on a notice board would contravene anything. It is not the same as putting mug shots up etc. The fact we could laminate them etc is neither here nor there ;)

Anyway, if you behave like a scavenging gull, you forfeit your human rights

Last edited:
Well I don't see why just putting published articles from magazines or newspapers on a notice board would contravene anything. It is not the same as putting mug shots up etc. The fact we could laminate them etc is neither here nor there ;)

Anyway, if you behave like a scavenging gull, you forfeit your human rights

As he has been banned from all RSPB sites as long as we didn't actually accuse him of something just put the article & pic on the board for information?

Rob

Petition to protect raptors

Apologies if this has already been posted but there is an epetition to make English landowners responsible for the persecution of raptors on their estates i.e. they can't just blame the gamekeepers. If you want to support the attempt to protect harriers, eagles etc you will find the petition at

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/23089

Peter

Petition to protect raptors

Apologies if this has already been posted but there is an epetition to make English landowners responsible for the persecution of raptors on their estates i.e. they can't just blame the gamekeepers. If you want to support the attempt to protect harriers, eagles etc you will find the petition at

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/23089

Peter

Done. More than happy to sign that, Peter. We can't let these people dodge their responsibilities towards our natural heritage. I hope the law is strengthened enough so that severe criminal sentences can be brought upon those that are found guilty of flouting them.

As previously publicised, the last work party of the season at the Flashes is next Sunday. The work load is extensive and further complicated by the loss of tools following the theft at the Moors Pool:-

- Strimming the islands and foreshore to create suitable feeding habitats for both passage birds and breeding waders
- Complete the blocking of breaches in the fox fence at the rear of the third flash
- Complete the alterations to the fox fence to prevent scambling access as witnessed last year
- Ensure that the gate from to the sewage meadow is secure
- Clear the islands of vegetation to assist breeding waders / terns
- Survey all the shingled islands / spits and refresh if required
- Complete the attachment of the fox fencing to the new hide
- Undertake a thorough "fox flush"
- Ensure that either side of the hide is suitably screened with blackthorn etc so waders are not spooked by visitors entering and leaving the hide
- Ideally creating willow panels or similar to screen the ground floor entrance to hide to prevent light flooding in when the door is opened

Due to the volume of work there will be a 09:30 start; any time you can spare during the course of the day will be very much appreciated. Squash and biscuits will be provided as a token bribe; please wear old cothes and boots / wellies and bring gloves.

I would hope that no one will quibble about any of the above work programme and, despite some comments posted here in recent days, from the conversations I have had in the 15 years I have been involved with reserve the efforts of the work party are greatly supported and appreciated by the vast majority of visitors to Upton Warren. Please come and see the Flashes from a different perspective.

Phil

Looking forward to it already see you all on Sunday:t:

Tuesday work party at Amy's marsh 28th Feb 2012

An excellent day both weather and work wise, with 15 of us making in roads into the perennial problem of emergent saplings around the Broadmeadow pool's banks. We also tackled the well established willows on the Lagoon promontory.
All the cuttings were moved off site to the southern border and all trees were treated.
The promontory was the last site of breeding yellow wagtails in c1996, the removal of the trees could help the area return to a suitable breeding area for many species.
The 1000's of willow/alders saplings were cut and treated, this will hopefully diminish this problem for next year and improve the wader breeding potential for the future.
The alders on the island in front of the sand martin bank were also cut and treated.
The main 'scrape' shingle island was tidied up - flapping polythene was removed and shingle/rocks re distributed.
If all goes well next week we should be finished in the Amy's marsh Broadmeadow area. Then we will move into the SW marsh.
Pics
1. The Lagoon promontory before work
2. after work
3. close up of the type of habitat, several snipe came out before the work started.
4. He view from the east hide looking over the east bank of the Broadmeadow pool after sapling cutting. The promontory can be seen in the background.

Attachments

• forum lagoon promontary    (2).jpg
    forum lagoon promontary (2).jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 83
  • lagoon promonory ata work.jpg
    lagoon promonory ata work.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 86
  • close up of Lag prom.jpg
    close up of Lag prom.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 75
  • east Br and  Lag Prom in background.jpg
    east Br and Lag Prom in background.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 89
Birding on the reserve today
MOORS
GCG 4, Little grebe, cormorant c20, shoveler 13 min, Teal 5, Pochard 21, Tufted c40, water rail, Oystercatcher 4, snipe 20+, Lapwing 40, curlew,
mistle thrush singing and great spotted woodpecker drumming both behind east hide.

FLASHES
Teal 60 most came off the hen brook late on, gadwall pr, Curlew 19, lapwing 60, Oystercatcher 2, Avocet 2,
BHG 800 roosted, several 100 fed in a tight flock swarming over the field behind the hide catching worms.
coot 13, green woodpecker, 50+ mixed flock of winter thrushes and stalings at back of 3rd Flash. Today I have sealed the 2 large windows on safety grounds, until we can come up with a better design. I have cleaned them and the views are just as good as when it is open, it also gives great views of any overflying birds.
B :)John

Last edited:
Birding on the reserve today
MOORS
GCG 4, Little grebe, cormorant c20, shoveler 13 min, Teal 5, Pochard 21, Tufted c40, water rail, Oystercatcher 4, snipe 20+, Lapwing 40, curlew,
mistle thrush singing and great spotted woodpecker drumming both behind east hide.

FLASHES
Teal 60 most came off the hen brook late on, gadwall pr, Curlew 19, lapwing 60, Oystercatcher 2, Avocet 2,
BHG 800 roosted, several 100 fed in a tight flock swarming over the field behind the hide catching worms.
coot 13, green woodpecker, 50+ mixed flock of winter thrushes and stalings at back of 3rd Flash. Today I have sealed the 2 large windows on safety grounds, until we can come up with a better design. I have cleaned them and the views are just as good as when it is open, it also gives great views of any overflying birds.

Is that 6 Oyks across the reserve today or did one pair move over?

Today I have sealed the 2 large windows on safety grounds, until we can come up with a better design. I have cleaned them and the views are just as good as when it is open, it also gives great views of any overflying birds.

I'm so glad you have taken this step, I did comment to Gert yesterday about these. The idea of the depth is fine in principle to allow tripods to scope from the back but with the width it renders them far too heavy and I felt the mechanism that secured them was not appropriate. There is no way I would have sat in the seat under them, and I think some folks would have struggled to handle them safely.

I really liked the hide and hope a solution that elimates the risk these large windows presents can be got around :t:

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back