• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chris Packham - Malta (1 Viewer)

So why isn't there any repecussions? Surely the police should have seen the evidence before 'pressing charges'. Why isn't the trapper now facing charges - if it was clearly him doing the assaulting.

More to follow I hope...

So why isn't there any repecussions? Surely the police should have seen the evidence before 'pressing charges'. Why isn't the trapper now facing charges - if it was clearly him doing the assaulting.

More to follow I hope...

Absolutely! It would appear from the speed with which the judgement was delivered that the case was pretty clear cut and there was no substantive evidence against him. It seems CP has video evidence which will be released soon. It will be interesting to see if the trappers find themselves in court for making false accusations and whether the policemen involved in the case are investigated. Unless so it all will look like officially endorsed intimidation of someone for reporting crime. Holiday on Malta? You must be joking!

and whether the policemen involved in the case are investigated. Unless so it all will look like officially endorsed intimidation of someone for reporting crime. Holiday on Malta? You must be joking!

It is worth remembering that Maltese authorities can seek European arrest warrants (for example if CP had already returned to the UK) and its judges can (in theory) contribute towards judgements through the European Courts.

cheers, alan

Corruption in Malta

https://www.transparency.org/files/content/corruptionqas/Country_profile_Malta_2016.pdf

"The severity of corruption in Malta is exemplified by the fact that, according to a recent report commissioned by the European Parliament, the country lost at least 11.67% of its gross domestic product (approximately $1.25 billion) to corruption every year between 1995 and 2014 (Grech 2016a)."

It sounds fairly grim!

cheers, alan

Last edited:
Many years ago I wrote to the Maltese tourist authority, basically saying I will not be visiting again until the slaughter of birds is stopped, maybe we should all think about doing the same...hit them where it hurts

Mark

I said this on the same topic on another thread some time ago.

Others were of the opinion that we should keep going to Malta in the hope of 'educating' them. I'm for an all out boycott, I'll never go while the situation remains the same.

A

As a rule, I favour engagement rather than boycott but with regard to Malta I've changed my mind on this since the wider population failed to vote against spring hunting in the referendum. They had the chance and the majority sided with ignorance. Putting pressure on the tourism sector and making it abundantly clear that incidents like this are seriously damaging the image of the place is grist to the mill either way.

It's well worth watching & listening to the video footage of the incident - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDZi2mdbvSo - which makes it abundantly clear both who the aggressors were and how the policeman present acted to protect a lawbreaker and did so in a very provocative & aggressive manner. Thank goodness the numpties never realised that the video was still running!

It's well worth watching & listening to the video footage of the incident - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDZi2mdbvSo - which makes it abundantly clear both who the aggressors were and how the policeman present acted to protect a lawbreaker and did so in a very provocative & aggressive manner. Thank goodness the numpties never realised that the video was still running!

Thanks for posting John. Viewers should also watch the next up video. Be warned though...it's not easy viewing.

Let's hope this is given wiider publicity ad shows the public what holidaying in Malta is supporting. The referendum there showed the majority support this behavior .

The rather wonderful thing is that, without the clumsy intervention of the trapper and his chums, sorry, I mean policemen, this would have been, at best, a few minutes on Chris Packham's video report and a paragraph in the local paper seen by a few thousand. As it is, it's been reported by all of our national newspapers, on the BBC & ITV news and widely discussed online so the report must have now been seen by hundreds of thousands. CP is not, apparently, pressing charges but given the circumstances, one would hope that there will be some sort of enquiry and if any policemen are found to be culpable suitable disciplinary action will be taken.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back