• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vanguard Endeavour ED IV? (1 Viewer)

My take on it (for what it's worth) is this:
when i decided i needed to take birding more seriously in whatever year it was, i decided to dispense with my 23-year-old porros and get with the programme.
After quite a bit of research and considerations of finance, i went with the original ED 8.5x45 which was a complete revelation for me. Of course, as one learns more, one becomes perhaps a little more critical, and - on discovering my tendency towards detecting CA (perhaps more than others) - i sold them on the launch of the EDII.
By now (thanks to Typo communications) my knowledge of what i was looking through had taken a major uplift, and the EDII was just the thing: fitted my hands well, sharp to the edge, relatively bright, fast focussing (for one-hand operation when toting a scope over the shoulder) with a dioptre that never moved.
Hoya glass, the involvement (apparently) of a US academic in the design, fairly flat field - perfectly happy with them, and still am, as the only 8x42 i own.
So, when the EDIV was announced, i expected the tweaking of a couple of areas - particularly moving to dielectric coating and just backing off slightly on the aggression of the focus. Wider view might be nice, but not essential.
I'm not sure if the changes made to the EDIV were the ones i would have regarded as a priority. The locking dioptre on the rh eyepiece was fine, the livery and hinges were fine, the overall ergonomics were fine (but obviously, the latter may just be personal).
It seemed that most opinions posted either liked/didn't like the fast focus, but that could have been solved by a partial back-off. Many inquired why dielectrics hadn't been used when obviously the quality of the glass deserved them....
I just don't know from a company strategy point of view Vanguard seemed to diverge from a product design which seemed to have so many strengths and produced something else.....i still think the EDII is king of the hill within this price band, and knocks down many optics a lot more expensive.

Glad i got that out of my system!

I think most of us were a little surprised when Vanguard chose not to build on the success of the EDII but to go to an other designer and revert to a curved view design, reminiscent of the much cheaper original ED model. I have to say I didn't spot much advantage from the higher transmission prism glass, (which we were told was the principle optical tweak), in the time I had with it, but I quite liked the subtle ergonomic changes. I've not a chance to find out if they have done more to it to merit the premium pricing.

The email I got from Vanguard suggested they were fixing more than a minor production problem. What that means I couldn't say.

David

Last edited:
Hi, I am new on birdforum. I am facing the decision/dilemma to buy one among the EDII or EDIV in 10x42. My concern is their inferior low light performance. Is there significant improvment in the EDIV in this regard compared to the EDII? If you share your experiance, I will be very greatful.

Hi - personally, i couldn't see much increase in light transmission in the EDIV. If it was there, it was negligible, and was offset by the flat field and edge-to-edge sharpness of the EDII. The decision between the two - if you get to try them and like both approaches equally - would be if you can live with the very fast focus on the EDII. They do feel slightly different in the hand too, maybe because of the re-designed bridge.
If you can't try them, it might be a good time to get a EDII at a knock-down price.

These are now showing up as in stock at a lot of online stores, including Eagle Optics, which had them nicely discounted, before they sold out. So.... did anyone on the forum purchase a pair? If so, please weigh in with your impressions. I expect these are the 'revised; versions, following a spotty initial rollout.

These are now showing up as in stock at a lot of online stores, including Eagle Optics, which had them nicely discounted, before they sold out. So.... did anyone on the forum purchase a pair? If so, please weigh in with your impressions. I expect these are the 'revised; versions, following a spotty initial rollout.

Yeah, I have the 8X42. I've used it some along with the Styrka S7 8X42. I haven't posted really anything because I have yet to come to any "conclusion" if you will. Functions PERFECTLY. I'll hopefully post more later...

Attachments

• IMG_3917.jpg
    IMG_3917.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 515
Yeah, I have the 8X42. I've used it some along with the Styrka S7 8X42. I haven't posted really anything because I have yet to come to any "conclusion" if you will. Functions PERFECTLY. I'll hopefully post more later...

That's great. I look forward to hearing your comments/comparisons. And isn't the Stryka built on the same chassis as the Maven? Separated at birth if you will...

Bill

Hello. I'm a new user, from Spain.
I have a Vanguard ED 1 8x42 binocular for 3 years and I am very happy with them. Everyone who has tried it has hallucinated. The view rests and is relaxed when you look through them. The brightness is magnificent, sharpness (especially in the central part), contrast and good representation of colors.
Not in vain, I have taken advantage of an offer and I am hoping to receive today the Vanguard ED IV 8x42. I can't wait to be compared.
I am somewhat concerned that they are not of a defective manufacturing line, at the beginning of their exit to the market. As a colleague commented.
If I'm lucky enough to be okay, I hope to gain some clarity and contrast.
As soon as I have them, I won't lose a minute and go out on the mountain. In short I mention the comparison.
Greetings. Daniel.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. At last I was able to try and compare the Vanguard Ed 1 vs. the Ed IV at the same time. I've tried them for a while, with the sun
Over at three in the afternoon. They are first sensations, and I have not rigorously tested an entire field day. The first sensations when turning the focus wheel were not very good. It seems to have a dead angle that doesn't change, plus soft. If you keep spinning, it's hardening. It costs more to find the focus and nail it, but it will be a matter of getting used to. Diopter wheel Well, it does its function.
No more, speaking of lenses, the Ed IV are incredibly brighter, which I would never imagine. In general, Ed 1 seems to be dirty about Ed IV. . Ed IV has a hue and a yellowish-greenish hue. The 1 tends to brown. I can't say which of the two best reflects the real colors.
The small chromatic edge has it both equally.
I was impressed to see a side of seagulls, and see that the Ed IV have a more point of clarity and brightness. For this, I was given the impression of having some more magnification (being the two 8 x). The field of vision seems broader and it is more tasty to see them.
I also liked a lot of other gulls, far away, with reverberation in front of the heat. The ED IV was able to soften it much more, allowing to see more clearly the side and the specimens.
It was best to see a stork in flight, with a sky bottom, and other birds in the saline, with a mountain bottom. Incredible, I would highlight the contrast. Very improved, no doubt. Nice to see you in flight. Everything that moves in your viewing angle, you can see at the moment, instantly protrudes in your eyes. Wow.
Finally I tried some Dragonfly inns, macro type. The sharpness and the colors were more vivid.
Speaking of construction and body, I love it to be lighter and more compact.
I clearly highlight the ergonomics or the distribution of weights. Not that it is exactly but it allows me to keep the pulse riveted, without shaking. In Ed 1 He seemed to have Parkinson's next to the new Vanguard.
To finish the cover I loved it, and the belt better too.
In short, great first impressions. of 10. You notice an improvement, which is a lot to say! If someone is in my situation, I would make the change without a doubt.

See you soon, folks.
Daniel.

Hello.
Bad news. From the first day I was very surprised that the central part of the focus wheel was very soft. and hardens as you turn to one side or the other. Accompanying this feeling, when rectifying and looking for the exact point of focus, in the position that is, you hear a few clicks like plastic, slight crunches, coming from the wheel or eyepieces. It may be a manufacturing defect and I have already contacted Vanguard to process repair or replacement. As minor ailments, to note that one of the front lids is quickly released, without making force, and to wheel of diopter is difficult to regulate.
Not with this I mean they're bad binoculars, and I don't want to alarm anyone. They are magnificent and better than the ED 1 certainly. I have been a Vanguard customer for years and have high quality products and reliability. The attention to Customer is excellent.
I hope they will solve it as quickly as possible and soon tell you how happy I am with them.

Daniel.

Hello.
From the first day I was very surprised that the central part of the focus wheel was very soft. and hardens as you turn to one side or the other. Accompanying this feeling, when rectifying and looking for the exact point of focus, in the position that is, you hear a few clicks like plastic, slight crunches, coming from the wheel or eyepieces.

Definitely faulty Daniel, I get no such "softness" and "stiffening" with the focus wheel on the 10x42 EDIV. The focus is firm, smooth and accurate throughout its range. I'd send them back and insist on a replacement if I were you.

Definitely faulty Daniel, I get no such "softness" and "stiffening" with the focus wheel on the 10x42 EDIV. The focus is firm, smooth and accurate throughout its range. I'd send them back and insist on a replacement if I were you.

Thank you for your comment, Calvin. I knew it wasn't normal since the first day. The contact with Vanguard has been very fast as well as the process. He's on his way to check it out. I hope to replace it, I don't think it will fix if it's such a serious factory defect. When I receive the new I'll comment on the sensations. Best regards

Daniel.

Vanguard Endeavor ED IV

It doesn't look like these VE ED IVs are much of an improvement over the IIs then, so thinking of going for the more expensive Hawke Sapphires which I am guessing is better than the Nikon Monarch 7?

It doesn't look like these VE ED IVs are much of an improvement over the IIs then, so thinking of going for the more expensive Hawke Sapphires which I am guessing is better than the Nikon Monarch 7?

Reviews seem to be mixed, and not all comparisons on this thread are between the II and the IV. It seems primarily they made a bit of a left turn, instead of building on what they'd already accomplished with the II. I'd say the jury is still out. The areas that they could've improved upon were FOV and light transmission. Their own website shows that the FOV is the same as the II, but they do claim with the IV that 'advanced multi-layer coatings' provide 'more than' 92% light transmission. Whether that is an averaged curve, or they cherry picked the highest transmission value of the curve remains to be seen, though I suspect the latter.

Allbinos review of the II showed an 82.1% average with a peak value of 90%
If they could boost the AVERAGE by 5% or more, that would be significant, especially at that price point.

Bill

Thanks Bill. Would you rate the Sapphires better than the Monarch 7s? I know, it's a long shot, but there's a slight chance that you or somebody else might know the answer.
I think the Vanguards are better than the Monarch 7s and BBR rate the Sapphires highly.

Last edited:
Thanks Bill. Would you rate the Sapphires better than the Monarch 7s? I know, it's a long shot, but there's a slight chance that you or somebody else might know the answer.
I think the Vanguards are better than the Monarch 7s and BBR rate the Sapphires highly.

I'm sorry I can't help you with that one. I do own the Vanguard ED II's, which fit my eye relief needs, when the Monarch 7's did not. I've never seen or heard of a Sapphire.
You can still find the ED II's for around $319 with a rebate, which is what I paid a year ago for them. Allbino's ratings agree with your ranking of the Vanguards vs. the Monarchs, but it is best to try them out in person if you can.

Bill

Thanks for the reply Bill. That's interesting about the eye relief. I saw the Allbinos rankings and the Vanguard was ahead of the Monarch 7s. That site is good, but I wouldn't just go by that myself. It's a good starting point. BestBinocularsinReview is good as well, less technical. I actually like Allbinos technical aspects. It shows things like Light Transmission. I haven't come across another site like it.
I always check out binoculars first. That's why ebay is a problem when the seller is far away.

I'd just like to add that the Endeavor IVs still don't have any dielectric coatings like the Sapphires do. Both are very good in their own way and both are made in China I think.

Ravis,

I think the Vanguard EDIV had another update this summer and I haven't seen the latest version. There is still no indication that they've changed the prism coating so 92% transmission would be surprising. It doesn't have the flat field of the EDII, and to be honest I couldn't spot any improvement in apparent brightness in the version I saw.

You really need to try out these binoculars yourself as, I suspect the ergonomics might be the key deciding factor. The dual hinge Sapphire ED is the biggest and the heaviest and the Monarch 7 the smallest and lightest. The Vanguards and the top hinge Sapphires are somewhere in the middle. Beyond that, the detail of things like the focus speed and smoothness, the eye cup size and reach and the dioptre adjustment can swing decisions.

The Monarch 7 has the widest view, but it does have some magnification distortion which some, including me, dislike. The Vanguard EDII has the flattest (but narrowest view if that's important to you), and the two Hawkes are somewhere in between. The colour balance of the Nikon and Hawkes is a bit more neutral than the Vanguard EDII and the EDIV I've seen, but that might have changed.

It looks like you have a very reasonable shortlist of £400- £450 binoculars to check out. I suggest you might also include the Opticron iMagic BGA VHD and see if you prefer Japanese engineering.

David

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back