• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk (?) in California - ID Help, please... (1 Viewer)

Hockey.Lover

I took these two photos today in Fremont, California (SF Bay Area). I have looked at my Sibley's guide, but can't seem to figure out what this bird might be. There were two flying around at the same time together, so I don't know if this is the same bird in each shot, but I believe it is the same species. I got several shots of them and only one somewhat focused of the backside which is included for ID purposes.

I was so in awe watching these birds soar and dive...it was breathtaking!!

Any help with the Id would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Gail

Attachments

• hawk-2.jpg
    hawk-2.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 93
  • hawk-1.jpg
    hawk-1.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 111
Northern Harrier-Note the dark head in pic 1 and distinct white rump patch in Picture 2.

Last edited:
Hey gail , that bird has to be a northern Harrier. Great bird - and great photos:t: - I have been seeing a couple around my local patch lately also -

lvn600 said:
Northern Harrier

Wow. Thanks! I was looking at another bird that I had photographed and it was very light and I think it is a Harrier (photo attached), but didn't really look too closely at the darker Harriers in Sibleys. Duh!!
:D

Attachments

• harrier.jpg
    harrier.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 87
Wow Gail ! - That is an awsome photo - pretty sure that is a male - he looks like a jet fighter ! Very dramatic shot - wouldnt want to be a little critter in the grass looking up at that |8.| :eek!:

Excellent photos! I'm going to have to find out what kind of cameras everyone here uses. I'm needing something with a better zoom to capture the beautiful birds here.

Nice shots! I agree on Northern Harrier - a 2CY female - Orange glow on breast and under-wing coverts indicates a young bird, which, when accompanied by the dark breast-streaking and pale, yellowish iris of an adult female, would indicate a transitioning female. In post #4, your bird is an adult male.

EDIT: Ack! Forgive my brain fart - females tend to be buffy/orangey - it's too early for a harrier to be transitioning anyway. This is an adult female. 3+ CY. MY BAD. :stuck:

Last edited:
Thanks Larry and Dane.

JMomOhio, I am using a Canon Rebel XT with a Tamron 18-200 lens. I don't know a whole lot about cameras. My boyfriend is the pro. I just want something that isn't too hard to use and takes good shots. Hope that helps.

Hockey.Lover said:
Alex, thank you so much! You have so much knowledge!! I appreciate all the details you give in the explanation. :D

:stuck: :stuck: :stuck:

ACK. Check my edited post.

No biggy I guess. Mistakes are part of the business...

overworkedirish said:
:stuck: :stuck: :stuck:

ACK. Check my edited post.

No biggy I guess. Mistakes are part of the business...

No problem, I got a kick out of what you said. I am just very happy that you are here to provide this great info!! Thanks, Alex.

Hockey.Lover said:
Thanks Larry and Dane.

JMomOhio, I am using a Canon Rebel XT with a Tamron 18-200 lens. I don't know a whole lot about cameras. My boyfriend is the pro. I just want something that isn't too hard to use and takes good shots. Hope that helps.

Great! Thanks for this info! I'm going to check them out! Unless a bird lands very close, taking a pic is a waste of time. This will be great!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back