• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

insects & dragonflies from Slovenia, Thailand, UK, USA & Caribbean (1 Viewer)

Deb335077

please help id these
1. taken in Slovenia
2. taken in Everglades, florida US
3. taken Preston UK
4. taken in Thailand
5. taken in Caribbean

thanks Debbie

Attachments

• dd Dragonfly - Slovenia Koper - 11Oct10 - 11-251.jpg
    dd Dragonfly - Slovenia Koper - 11Oct10 - 11-251.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 114
  • dd Grass Hopper - Shark Valley Everglades Florida - 09Nov19 c.jpg
    dd Grass Hopper - Shark Valley Everglades Florida - 09Nov19 c.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 95
  • dd Grasshopper - Brockholes Quarry Preston - 10Jul11 a.jpg
    dd Grasshopper - Brockholes Quarry Preston - 10Jul11 a.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 103
  • dd Insect - AAA - Thailand Hua Hin - Pala U Waterfalls - 12Feb22 - 15-2686.jpg
    dd Insect - AAA - Thailand Hua Hin - Pala U Waterfalls - 12Feb22 - 15-2686.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 89
  • dd Insect - Caribbean Sea (2) - 10Nov14 - 07-008.jpg
    dd Insect - Caribbean Sea (2) - 10Nov14 - 07-008.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 105
I think that I'd probably go for Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) for the Dragon. Pic is a bit small so might be wrong.

Without my Orthoptera guide to hand, I might be missing something, but I can't see any reason why 3 isn't a Field Grasshopper, Chorthippus brunneus. 1 is a female Sympetrum - again need the guide to hand to go further.

I agree with Common Darter for number 1 and Field Grasshopper for number 3.

I don't know anything about Orthoptera outside Europe though (and not much about those which don't occur in the UK).

Disagree 3 is Field Grasshopper. Looks like a Common Green Grasshopper to me.
Yes, I'm going to change and agree with you - the sides of the pronotum aren't sharply angled enough for Field Grasshopper (and the colour fits well with typical Common Green!).

By which I meant in a garden - but checking I note you didn't say that! (Memo to self; stop trying to be clever before caffeine levels have been restored!)

By which I meant in a garden - but checking I note you didn't say that! (Memo to self; stop trying to be clever before caffeine levels have been restored!)

It was taken in a nature reserve & not a garden if that suits the grasshopper better

Does anyone have any idea's in No 2, 4 & 5

Thanks all

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back