• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (3 Viewers)

Mmm, Great White Pelican from the garden, that would be nice............
A very brief trip to GOC to see my dear old Mum at the weekend gave me a taste of the birds H sees, displaying Curlews, Lapwing and Oystercatchers up on the moors and little lambs a'gambolling - lovely.
Back here, the 12 day doldrums are over with this morning's three arrivals from the south (or just from lower altitudes perhaps):
46 Chiffchaff
47 Crag Martin
48 White Wagtail

I'm surprised at the late date for the wagtail, at our old place the 8th was the average arrival date and only once later than today's date.
Black Redstart average day is the 17th, so I'm getting ready for that 'static electricity' sound as the male starts his song, it's getting quite noisy at dawn now with Song and Mistle Thrush, Blackbird, Fieldfare and Robin all singing away.

Big increase in migrating Great Tits in the last days, mostly newly arriving males (females should be a few days behind). Wintering Great Tits at the feeders beginning to disperse/depart north, only to be replaced by these newcomers.

And one for me...

After hearing a couple in Old Moor RSPB yesterday it was still a surprise to hear one singing here so early -

61: Chiffchaff

And one for me...

After hearing a couple in Old Moor RSPB yesterday it was still a surprise to hear one singing here so early -

61: Chiffchaff

Still haven't heard yet! However heard first before seeing, a flyover not so Mute..Swan! no.56 :)

Added Chiffchaff to the 'from bed list' this morning, although I actually had to get up properly to confirm it. Worthwhile as then saw 2 Goldrest just outside the door too. A bit later on a Green Woodpecker nearby.

Two new additions though -

Pied Wagtail
Iceland Gull

The Pied Wag was a flyover, the adult Iceland Gull circling with a distant gull flock c300 strong (they had been feeding in ex-cauliflower fields being turned back over nearby, but out of view to me, presumably.

Added Chiffchaff to the 'from bed list' this morning, although I actually had to get up properly to confirm it. Worthwhile as then saw 2 Goldrest just outside the door too. A bit later on a Green Woodpecker nearby.

Two new additions though -

Pied Wagtail
Iceland Gull

The Pied Wag was a flyover, the adult Iceland Gull circling with a distant gull flock c300 strong (they had been feeding in ex-cauliflower fields being turned back over nearby, but out of view to me, presumably.

n-Iceland-ing that one Dan! ;)

I'm entering this very late as it's taken a long time for me to get home this year. Please tell me if this is anyway cheating, but I've decided to count birds seen in and from the garden of my university college, on the campus of the University of Queensland in central Brisbane. It has a decent view over some lakes, so I should be able to build up a decent total!

Here's the (limited) list so far:
1. Noisy Miner
2. Pied Currawong
3. Australian Magpie
4. Torresian Crow
5. Pacific Black Dick
6. Maned Duck
7. Hardhead
8. Intermediate Egret
9. Buff-banded Rail
10. Dusky Moorhen
11. Eurasian Coot
12. Australasian Swamphen
13. Australian White Ibis
14. Australian Brushturkey
15. Little Corella
16. Galah
17. Rainbow Lorikeet
18. Scaly-breasted Lorikeet
19. Crested Pigeon
20. Little Black Cormorant
21. Australasian Darter
22. Feral Pigeon
23. Collared Sparrowhawk
24. Masked Lapwing

49 Blackcap

Cool northerlies this morning, some snow early on, then cool and clear, not ideal migration weather, but still skeins of Bean Geese going over, first Mallard of the year, plus five Mute Swans, then first gulls of the season - 14 Herring Gulls meandering north.

Also the annual addition of Feral Pigeon, two wanderers from nearby coming to the fields now unfrozen. Heaps of Cranes about now, yodelling and parading in the meadows, Great Grey Shrike still lingering.

46. Mallard
47. Herring Gull
48. Feral Pigeon

Spent too much time outside with the scope, but enjoyed myself, so that's ok.

Added a few more - 2 Linnet through the field of view, a Stock Dove, and Cormorant. The Cormorant an intereting one - c4 miles away, although did come a little closer, but not just 1 as I was expecting, but a flock of 30 (or 31) flying along the coast and then inland northwards! Presumably migrants from the continent ...

A Snipe through the field of view too (whilst searching the gulls) and another 3+ heard overhead at dusk.

Last edited:
Not been listing since the very early days, so here goes (new birds in bold) -

January 1st

1 Robin resident attack bird
2 Herring Gull
3 Blackbird
4 Song Thrush
5 Magpie
6 Collared Dove
7 Woodpigeon
8 Tawny Owl h

January 2nd

9 Wren
10 Goldfinch
11 Redwing
12 Buzzard
13 Rook
14 Jackdaw
15 Pheasant h
16 Bullfinch
17 Grey Heron
18 Green Woodpecker
19 Woodcock 3 over at dusk
20 Barn Owl

January 3rd

21 Goldcrest
22 Blue Tit
23 Great Tit
24 Long-tailed Tit
25 House Sparrow h

January 4th

26 Dunnock
27 Kestrel
28 Jay
29 Raven
30 Water Rail still present in the bramble/blackthorns
31 Meadow Pipit
32 Chaffinch
33 Carrion Crow

January 9th

34) Starling
35) Great Spotted Woodpecker

February 3rd

36) Mistle Thrush

February 7th

37) Snipe

February 9th

38) Coal Tit
39) Reed Bunting

February 10th

40) Fieldfare
41) Common Gull

February 25th

42) Chiffchaff
43) Greenfinch

February 28th

44) Lesser Black-backed Gull
45) Gannet !

March 16th

46) Pied Wagtail
47) Iceland Gull
48) Linnet
49) Stock Dove
50) Cormorant
51) Sparrowhawk - saw one today, so in here, although did see one a month or so back ...
52) Mallard - ditto - this is why a proper list helps!

Last edited:
Black Redstart average day is the 17th, so I'm getting ready for that 'static electricity' sound as the male starts his song, it's getting quite noisy at dawn now with Song and Mistle Thrush, Blackbird, Fieldfare and Robin all singing away.

With the precision of a Swiss watch (yes I know, I'm in France)

50 Black Redstart
A young male in full voice this morning.Plus a lonely
51 Starling

So Jos, what are you going to do about that (I'm steaming ahead of you!)?

Last edited:
It's been long "dry season" here (Last new tick was Pheasant at January 22.!) And I was two weeks in Fidel's (R.I.P.) island, but yesterday:
#15. Herring Gull

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back