• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

20 year old spottingscope Swift Nighthawk 65 (1 Viewer)

Hi everybody,

Thank you for allowing me here on your site.

I am actually asking here a question for my dad as he is a real bird fan, but he has not a good telescope yet !

I have seen a Swift Nighthawk 65 spottingscope on marketplace from 1997.
It looks good and not used much.

I would like to know if this spottingscope is interesting and of good quality and would make my dad happy to start with.
And if it still possible to buy replacement parts.
It comes along with tripod and zoomocculairs 22-60x enlargment

Wondering if someone here has good experiene with this brand. And do they still manufacture ?

Many thanks

Jochem

Hi Jochem, welcome to the forum, I hope you find some useful information here.

I do not know much about this scope having never used one, but it looks similar to the opticron imagic series. These were entry level models when released, and I believe were fine optically if used with a 20-30x fixed magnification eyepiece. Depending upon your budget, there are likely to be better options on the market - both new and used.

I don't think this model is still made, unless it is in the incarnation of a Vixen Geoma. I suspect that Opticron eyepieces would work with the Swift.

There is a search function in the top-right corner - it may be worth searching for either Swift or Opticron models for any old threads.

I hope this helps and hopefully somebody with first hand use will be along to comment further.

Hi,

first of all, welcome to BF. I don't know the model either but I found a review of both sizes in the archive of Better View Desired - it did not so well, although the abysmal result was at least partly due to a bad fixed 20x EP and the zoom was ok-ish but unusable with glasses in the supplied form due to a fixed rubber eyecup (which could be cut).

https://www.cloudynights.com/BVD/Swift-Nighthawks.php

I would not spend a lot on it but if you can get it for really cheap and can check the view before buying- why not?

Joachim, whose 30 year old Kowa TSN-3 is great...

Hi everybody,

Thank you for allowing me here on your site.

I am actually asking here a question for my dad as he is a real bird fan, but he has not a good telescope yet !

I have seen a Swift Nighthawk 65 spottingscope on marketplace from 1997.
It looks good and not used much.

I would like to know if this spottingscope is interesting and of good quality and would make my dad happy to start with.
And if it still possible to buy replacement parts.
It comes along with tripod and zoomocculairs 22-60x enlargment

Wondering if someone here has good experiene with this brand. And do they still manufacture ?

Many thanks

Jochem
I purchased my Swift nighthawk 65 telescope and lens from the Swift manufacturing company in Dorchester Massachusetts
I paid over $1000 for the telescope and the lens that came with it was ineffective. I went back and purchased an excellent lens for about $300. I’m not quite sure because it happened about 60 years ago. I still have the telescope, the lens and an excellent quality stand.
Both the lens, the telescope, polish stand are in mint condition. I would sell all for $1500.

Attachments

• IMG_1492.jpeg
    IMG_1492.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1490.jpeg
    IMG_1490.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1487.jpeg
    IMG_1487.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 18
Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased my Swift nighthawk 65 telescope and lens from the Swift manufacturing company in Dorchester Massachusetts
I paid over $1000 for the telescope and the lens that came with it was ineffective. I went back and purchased an excellent lens for about $300. I’m not quite sure because it happened about 60 years ago. I still have the telescope, the lens and an excellent quality stand.
Both the lens, the telescope, polish stand are in mint condition. I would sell all for $1500.
You paid $1300 60 years ago (seems unlikely, this model was produced in the 90's) but would sell now $1500? I think you'd be lucky to get $200 total. Here is the Opticron version of the same scope, original retail price was £230.
They're a smart looking scope, but optics have moved on quite a bit in the intervening years, if you still enjoy it, probably best to hang onto it.
May I ask what the lens/tube is on the side next to the eyepiece?

You who responded to my original post. You have got your math a little confused. I said I purchased the telescope and lens about 60 years ago. That would not be the 90's as you stated. More like the 60's.

The photos posted aren't of a 1960s scope? A Swift Nighthawk 65 with 2 eyepieces sold on eBay in the UK in 2017 for £95.

If you want to sell the scope then please make a new post in our "For Sale" forum.

You who responded to my original post. You have got your math a little confused. I said I purchased the telescope and lens about 60 years ago. That would not be the 90's as you stated. More like the 60's.
See below, no confusion this end...
Maybe re-read the post: This model wasn't produced in the 1960's - the earliest you could've purchased it would've been the 1990's as Daniel has suggested. Here is a review from BVD, no date given though: Swift Nighthawks | Better View Desired
Cheers - pre - 1997 (but post 1969) ;) ?

You guys are correct, I am wrong. I am enclosing brochure that came with the scope.
On the back page you can see August 1995. My apologies. I am going to be 89 in December
and must be losing it faster than I thought

Attachments

• IMG_1498.jpg
    IMG_1498.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 8
  • swift b.jpg
    swift b.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 8
  • swift  c.jpg
    swift c.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 8

Users who are viewing this thread