• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cinnamon Teal on the Western Isles, Friday May 14th (1 Viewer)

Jasonbirder said:
So Semipalmated Plover & Varied Thrush in Iceland & Blu-winged Teal in Denmark don`t count then?

Every spring now there is a run of American birds (particularly ducks). I dont recall this spring being particularly exceptional.

That one in Hampshire has been around for ages,nobody bothered with it until the western Isles bird turned up!!Im just amazed any American ducks get accepted,id tar them all with the same brush im afraid!!

sparrowbirder said:
That one in Hampshire has been around for ages,nobody bothered with it until the western Isles bird turned up!!Im just amazed any American ducks get accepted,id tar them all with the same brush im afraid!!

Glad you're not on BBRC! ;)

Rob

No Regrets

Dear all,
I thought I'd have a look to see if there had been any further debate about the Cinnamon Teal's providence during the past week since it hass been a week to the day that I went to see it. Well, I'm pleased to see that a bird of obviously little consequence in terms of it's place on the British list has stirred up such a debate. Mind you, in my experience, the more unlikely the bird, the more talk there is about it.

Obviously I agree this species is an unlikely genuine vagrant. I didn't leave home without first having read about rejections of this species in the USA on the Internet, so I had my eyes wide open when I filled the car with petrol. However, geographically, the Western Isles are well placed for American vagrants to arrive so it adds more credibility to the bird being there than in Hampshire. As I said in my original post, I have seen three Cinnamon Teals myself, each within 20 miles of my home and most unlikely to be genuine by a long chalk.

The photos are poor admittedly, but following the birding code of conduct precluded me from climbing the fencing surrounding the loch, walking through a field of sheep with lambs and possibly blowing future visitor's chances of seeing it. I know such selflessness is unusual in today's birding environment, but that's just the kind of guy I am. The gale outside didn't help much either.

When did this bird arrive? I doubt it was the day news broke somehow. Whether this loch is well watched or not is anyone's guess but if the number of birds that I saw on it is anything to go by - I rather doubt it. In fact, I did hear it was found during a wader survey, so maybe this loch isn't watched at all regularly. If anyone knows any different I'd be interested to know.

To sum up, I personally made the decision to go based on mere probability and not certainty of a wild origin. I also did the same with such birds as Spur-Winged Plover and Ross's Goose. Waiting for certainty in birding often invites failure to see the bird anyway and since hindsight is the only exact science, I'd rather go to see the bird as soon as I can and live with the prospect of having fate step in to reveal whether the bird is wild or not.

Take the Whistling Swan near Glasgow a few years ago for example. I saw that the evening news broke only to find out later it was feeding from the hand. I had wasted my time - but at the time I had no evidence to prove the bird 'guilty' or 'innocent'. It was just one of those things. So what? Win some, lose some, that's what birding is about surely?

By the way, if that swan had appeared in a flock of wild swans at Welney I presume it would have been acceptable without any problems?

Best wishes,
Lancey

the only real 'certainty' for the birds quoted - bar ringed birds - is on the breeding grounds.....

the rest is just conjecture....you will never know.....

go and see it if you want...it's a reason to go to a beautiful place and who knows what else might be there.......every time i read something trying to justify a sighting like this i start yawning.....

birds and beautiful places should not be reduced to levels of 'wasted time' and 'acceptability'

And when you've finished with the Bufflehead can we have it back?! Either that or send it on its way to Finland to join the Hooded Merganser there!!

Perhaps there was a great escape style break out from Martin Mere.... the Bufflehead went 180 degrees in the wrong direction initially, realised its mistake on finding itself on a peat workings in Manchester and corrected... the Hooded Merg just had a dodgy compass :)

Hi Jane,
The Bufflehead carried on east for a bit ,because he visited Wakefield before disappearing.As this one has now not been seen in the area am I presumptious in assuming that the northern bird is the same one and is now on its normal south- north migration route, albeit on the wrong side of the Atlantic?
Regards Tony

am I presumptious in assuming that the northern bird is the same one and is now on its normal south- north migration route, albeit on the wrong side of the Atlantic?

yep Tony
that's presumptious alright ;)

who knows where it is........ :h?:

The Bufflehead carried on east for a bit ,because he visited Wakefield before disappearing

I think Jane's directions were from Martin Mere continuing the "Great Escape" theme hence her "wrong" direction comment.

Jane - if there had been a Great Escape wouldn't we have heard the shots from the recaptured birds?!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back