• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit ID Please (1 Viewer)

CyberDoc

Vagrant Birder
Observed this Pipit today on the banks of the Dal Lake in Kashmir. Lack of markings on the breast is confusing.

http://www.kashmirnetwork.com/birds/unknown/unknown24.jpg

ID Help please. Thanks.

BTW : The pipits expected in Kashmir according to "Birds of North India" by Grimmettt & Inskipp would be:

Paddyfield Pipit
Long-billed Pipit
Upland Pipit
Tree Pipit
Olive-backed Pipit
Red-throated Pipit
Rosy Pipit
Water Pipit

Looks a bit freaky on my monitor too Tim! I'm not familiar with all the pipits out that way but it looks reminiscent of a Water Pipit. It seems rather streaky on the mantle though, so perhaps not.

Actually its not a very clean image so I had to enhance it a bit. I may have some more images on another camera which I'll post soon.

We can certainly rule out paddyfield, long-billed, tree, red-throated and olive-backed....
don't know what rosy and upland look like however, so can't help any further

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back