• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (9 Viewers)

Another Fantastic Day

Holme all day

Alarm went off at 5.15am switched it off and overslept:-C - obviously my body had not recovered fully enough from doing Thornham and Blakeney Point yesterday!!!

Arrived Holme 9am - drove straight down to NOA Carpark as Connor and my friend Pete had text me to say Great Grey Shrike on NOA Carpark! Now I know I am being greedy after seeing one yesterday, but it would have been brilliant to see one on home ground! Birds flying everywhere, have not seen so much action in the skies for a long time - it was incredible. I knew it was going to be good when arriving on carpark to see a Whinchat, Stonechat and a Redwing all in the same hawthorn bush!!! Met a couple of people who had seen the Great Grey Shrike 7.30 this morning - don't think it has been seen since - found out later it had actually been found last night and someone had taken pictures of it! Anyway after dipping on shrike walked towards observatory and while chatting with someone on bank, news came through that a Barred Warbler had been found in the buckthorn dead opposite NOA carpark, so I shot back - it was seen by the same couple who had seen the shrike, they were having a lucky day! Stood for a while, by didn't see it. Was then going to go up to the forestry to find myself a RFB when we heard the observatory had caught a Redstart (10.15am) in the nets - so went back to take a picture. A nice Brambling sat in the sycamore by pond at the observatory. I then went round the back of the obs. into pines tons of goldcrests flicking about after flies. Walked up along dunes towards forestry and saw loads of chaffinches feeding and a Ring Ouzel got up from the dunes, which was a lovely surprise! , also another group of chaffinches by block house along with a nice Green Woodpecker. In the Forestry at 10.55am 1 Wheatear and 1 Very crisp male Blackcap while eating my lunch, I imagined a RFB popping out of the brambles, but no luck! Was then going to walk Gore Point when Connor rang me to saw he was having brilliant views of Barred Warbler, so walked back along road and stood on carpark with several other people and waited for it to appear, it took awhile (12.30pm) but it showed eventually! I then cut across from carpark and into back of pines again and stood by edge near beach and flushed a lovely Redstart (no ring, so was 2nd one of day) (1.55pm). Went back to observatory where they had caught a Kingfisher! I sat and watched a Siskin feeding just in front of observatory! News came through about a Yellow Browed Warbler by the first mobile caravan home after Pay Hut, so I drove up the road and parked by 5-bar gate and walked to where people were standing. Connor had managed to see it but I didn't! I did see a nice Pied Flycatcher though! Several of us then went to see a 2nd one that had been seen by another BF member on this thread by Brooke House (by the bridge), a Great Spotted Woodpecker flew over. Walked along a path to that point and we still didn't see that one! A 3rd YBW was seen at the observatory! I then walked alone to toilet block area and back along the path behind bungalows towards Pay Hut. Skies were now blackening and saw tons of gulls flying on the dune ridge against the black sky, it looked very beautiful. 4 Little Egrets over marsh. Walked back round to try and see Yellow Browed Warbler again and after another patient wait I was lucky, although it was a very brief view! (5.45pm). At least 15 Swallows went over. Just past the pay hut a Starling sat on the top telegraph wire and directely beneath a Mistle Thrush. Up ahead hundreds of starlings were gathering on the wires. I then walked all the way down to observatory again via top coastal path in hope of flushing a wryneck or something, but no such luck! A raptor flew into pines by Firs steps, but not sure what it was, I am guessing Sparrowhawk. Gave in my list to HBO and then a lovely person gave me a lift back to my car at 5-bar gate and then went to parents for chinwag and home. Holiday has ended with a massive list of birds, back at work tomorrow, bother, could get used to this!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Well what a blast of a day!
Started at Cley for the Grey Phalarope and then to the beach where the waves were lapping over the sea bank at high tide in a few places and watched the Sabines Gull on the flooded area behind the bank. A quick dash to Weybourne for my second RED-FLANKED BLUETAIL in Norfolk! WOW! I took a few photos. (See attached) After release it flew up high and flew south. Back to Wells woods for a Pied Flycatcher (but missed the Red-breasted Flycatcher and Yellow-browed Warbler). Raced back to Cley for the Grey Phalarope had multiplied itself into 3 Grey Phalaropes and had been joined by a Red-necked Phalarope!
After a chat with Ruralchill I headed home only to be deflected at Holkham and down Lady Ann's drive for the Wryneck!
What a day! Brilliant!

Well done Sue, sounds like you certainly did have a fantastic day too!! You were lucky with RFB (lovely pics), I presume you were in the area. A friend with pager said it didn't come on pager until 9.50 and would be released at 10.00 and that you had to walk a mile after parking, so how anyone got to actually see it I will never know!!!

Wryneck was nice - I never tire of seeing those, beautiful birds.

Fantastic read there Penny

Never seen the sea that high up at Titchwell/general area myself yet, must have been quite a sight ..can't wait to get up there again next week!

Well done with the Shrike btw

Where are those PICS!!;)

Matt

Thank you Matt - too busy birding to get pics off the camera yet!!!

Yellow-browed Warbler still at Holme NOA this morning in the sycamore by the obs.
Glad you saw the one by the caravan Penny!

Cheers,

Well done Sue, sounds like you certainly did have a fantastic day too!! You were lucky with RFB (lovely pics), I presume you were in the area. A friend with pager said it didn't come on pager until 9.50 and would be released at 10.00 and that you had to walk a mile after parking, so how anyone got to actually see it I will never know!!!

News of the bluetail seemed to be spreading at Cley where people where watching the Sabines. Someone got a phonecall from the finder, they told someone else and the news soon spread. I was in a car around Salthouse when the message came through on a friends pager. A swift drive along the coast road followed by a mad dash along the beach got us there just in time. I'd rather have seen on skulking in a bush, but still a cracking bird.

Easy to imagine the bramble and scrub covered cliffs at Kessingland producing some good migrants in the right conditions.

Matt

Kessingland can be good under the right conditions, indeed it has produced a first for Britain. However, I do feel duty-bound to point out that it is well into Suffolk!

Stuart

News of the bluetail seemed to be spreading at Cley where people where watching the Sabines. Someone got a phonecall from the finder, they told someone else and the news soon spread. I was in a car around Salthouse when the message came through on a friends pager. A swift drive along the coast road followed by a mad dash along the beach got us there just in time. I'd rather have seen on skulking in a bush, but still a cracking bird.

Hi Peter

Certainly is a cracking bird - I won't ever forget the views I had of the Thorpness one!

Nice to see you on TV this evening!:t:

Had another walk from Old Hunstanton to Holme this afternoon but it was obvious that many of the birds had cleared out overnight with the clear skies.
Looked for the yellow browed by the wooden house on the Holme road but no sign. Highlights included 12 snow buntings over the golf course, 2 garden warblers, redstart and 2 stonechats.
An amazing high tide at Snettisham again today with 70,000+ knot roosting on the pits! Also in the area were a ringtail hen harrier, peregrine, 5-6 little gulls offshore and a lapland bunting reported with skylarks just south of the hides.
With finding two yellow browed warblers and pied fly yesterday it has been a great weekend!
Paul

Had two brief views of the Blyth's Reed Warbler this evening at Salthouse, at 5:45 and 6:20pm. (see rare bird forum).

Radde's and Greenish on the pager for east Norfolk, between Sea-Palling and Eccles and at Caister Cemetary.

Cheers,

Hi Penny
Yes I was lucky enough to be in the car park at Cley as news spread about the RFB, and was nearing Kelling as the news went on the pager. It was a bit of a jaunt along the beach but not a mile.(although being very unfit it felt like it as my legs struggled in the shingle as I realised that 10am was approaching fast!)

Another cracking day in Norfolk today! Starting at Holme I watched a Yellow-browed Warbler being rung and then feeding in a sycamore tree upon release. At Wells I watched another Pied Flycatcher sitting in the sun amongst the Goldcrests before tearing off down to Burnham Overy Dunes to see the Sub-alpine Warbler. It was a glorious walk out there. It was an even quicker walk back as news of the Blyth's Reed Warbler broke and I made my way to Salthouse that was heaving with birders (and cars). At last I got to sit down and admire brief views of the Blyth's Reed Warbler at Gramborough Hill before watching the Grey Phalaropes and Red-necked Phalaropes again at Cley. What a day! What a weekend! Just like the old days!
Sue

Attachments

• Sub-alpine-Warbler-(2)-Burn.jpg
    Sub-alpine-Warbler-(2)-Burn.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Pied-Flycatcher-Wells-30090.jpg
    Pied-Flycatcher-Wells-30090.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 97
  • Yellow-browed-Warbler-(1)-H.jpg
    Yellow-browed-Warbler-(1)-H.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Hi Penny
Yes I was lucky enough to be in the car park at Cley as news spread about the RFB, and was nearing Kelling as the news went on the pager. It was a bit of a jaunt along the beach but not a mile.(although being very unfit it felt like it as my legs struggled in the shingle as I realised that 10am was approaching fast!)

Another cracking day in Norfolk today! Starting at Holme I watched a Yellow-browed Warbler being rung and then feeding in a sycamore tree upon release. At Wells I watched another Pied Flycatcher sitting in the sun amongst the Goldcrests before tearing off down to Burnham Overy Dunes to see the Sub-alpine Warbler. It was a glorious walk out there. It was an even quicker walk back as news of the Blyth's Reed Warbler broke and I made my way to Salthouse that was heaving with birders (and cars). At last I got to sit down and admire brief views of the Blyth's Reed Warbler at Gramborough Hill before watching the Grey Phalaropes and Red-necked Phalaropes again at Cley. What a day! What a weekend! Just like the old days!
Sue

Hi Sue - Wow that was an excellent day:t: I was at work today:C, the only thing I would have loved to have seen today was the Sub-alpine Warbler and even more annoying because I wanted to do the Holkham Gun Hill walk this week but didn't get round to it, which means I will have to do this on Saturday now;)

Its certainly been an excellent few days birding for everyone.

What a day to be stuck at work! I managed to get out to salthouse at 6:00 to attempt the Blyths, but failed, with only a brown blur at around 6:25. Never mind. I've got all tomorrow, tues and wed. I WILL find something nice!

Jason

p.s. nice to meet you too Helen. Glad you saw the Shrike. The other bird was a Short Eared Owl, btw. Also saw lots of common migrants and 5 Snow Buntings. Didn't see the Lapland buntings though, which was a shame

No worries, I am terrible with names, rarely forget a face though;)

Best Wishes Helen..... ;)Sorry Penny!!!:girl:

Hey! Stop impersonating me. ;)

I'm sorry you didn't see the SubAlp, Penny. And my view of the Blyth's sounds very similar to yours, Jason. I suppose it's pointless to hope that it hangs around until my day off.

And your day off will probably be best spent trying to find your own in a quiet patch of dunes or something. more exciting anyway. Thats what I'm doing (although if the mobile keeps beeping me all day, I'll be easily tempted!)

Jason

Well!

What a storming weekend.

never left the patch, all on foot or by bike and had a blinder.

Fri evening it was looking good. Opted for a bit of seawatching and caught the back end of a Grey Phal going north. On the walk home a redstart, goldcrests seemingly everywhere and a few Redwings hinted at what was to come.

Up at the crack of dawn and off out. A few Redwings here and there, a Little Gull or two over from inland and a Golden Plover. Opted to do some seawatching and have breakfast. After 30 mins or so a stunning juvenile Sabs came past heading south. The white triangle was blinding! Quick check on the back - concolourous browny etc.. Fantastic a self found patch tick. Rang it in and phoned my mate to get him on it. He was too far away but had just found a Yellow-browed in a private garden. While I was looking for this i got a text about another Yellow-browed close by. While waiting for the second bird to show an adult Red-backed Shrike appeared in nearby bushes and showed itself off to me and a local non birder for a few mins before heading into the conifers.

Biked to Waxham and refound the Great Grey Shirke and then back straight away to Sea Palling. Not much extra in the afternoon bar the odd Redstart, Chiff and Wilow etc... but it felt good still.... About 5 pm i rounded a corner on my bike and came face to face with another Great Grey Shrike on roadside wires. Had a good look and headed off home very happy...

Sunday dawned with high expectations again. As i biked slowy north, a steady stream of Siskins and Redpolls showed things were moving. After a bit of bush bashing i stopped off for a bit of a rest and immediately heard a tacking sound. I recognised it as either a Dusky or a Radde's Warbler - both species i have experience of in Asia and I've found one Dusky before in the UK. I responded to it by tacking back and it instantly clambered up the reedy stems in the rank grass where it was. The back was olive toned but very dark earthy brown. It was a sulphury yellow below with a prominent dark eyestripe and good yellow-toned super. The call was less emphatic than a Dusky and it appeared a good bet for a Radde's. Unfortunately it fell silent and after two hours and some help from a friend i gave up.

After another great day and finding the same RB Shrike and the Great Grey again, i gave it one last blast with the 'Radde's' but nothing. Then my mate called - he was watching the bird with another chap a hundred or so yards to the north... I got over there instantly and the bird made its way rapidly inland, eventually disappearing to view. Views of the bird were enough to confirm my initial Radde's suspicion and we all left for home happy, having a fly over by the Great Grey Shrike to cap a fantastic weeekend.

Hard work, a long slog but great rewards. What a great place to live!

Last edited:
We had some cracking views of a Spoonbill from the Parrinder hide at Titchwell yesterday afternoon and later saw it flying northwards over the marshes. Nobody else seemed particularly bothered, so I guess they are a regular feature at Titchwell? The Golden Plovers looked beautiful in the sunlight too.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back