• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (12 Viewers)

Was planning on doing some walking along the coast path somewhere between Burnham/Wells and Wells/Stiffkey and Morston area this week and wondered if these Autumn high tides have an effect on accessing the path?

Don't wanna be talking any unscheduled pelagics off the Norfolk coast anytime soon;)

Matt

just been on coastal path in stiffkey for the dark breasted barn owl and the paths are all fine.

red-necked phalarope at cley has just been eaten by a sparrowhawk so that's buggered up my afternoon off a bit....have to head into the woods at wells for an hour i think!!

My dad saw and photographed Subalpine Warbler and G G Shrike today at Burnham Ovary Dunes. Pics on my blog (link below).

Cheers,

just been on coastal path in stiffkey for the dark breasted barn owl and the paths are all fine.

red-necked phalarope at cley has just been eaten by a sparrowhawk so that's buggered up my afternoon off a bit....have to head into the woods at wells for an hour i think!!

Damn! I wanted that!

Titchwell today

4 early Bewick's swans on the fresh marsh for a few hours this afternoon, 11 little stints on the fresh marsh and 4 snow buntings on the beach this morning. A good passage of passerines over the carpark this morning including 23 mistle thrushes in 45 mins.

Paul

Fantastic day at Holkham. The Subalpine was reported just as I entered the dunes on the Burnham side. Showed well on and off. Probably the smartest bird I'm gonna see in a long time. Also had a female Redstart near Washington hide, a juv. Hobby darting around throughout the day, the Snow Goose, and rounded the day off nicely with a Great Grey Shrike in the fields east of lady annes drive.

Jason

Hey! Stop impersonating me. ;)

I'm sorry you didn't see the SubAlp, Penny. And my view of the Blyth's sounds very similar to yours, Jason. I suppose it's pointless to hope that it hangs around until my day off.

Hi Helen - sorry!!!;)

Thanks Helen, I suppose if I was REALLY lucky it might hang around until Friday afternoon (I finish work at lunchtime) or Saturday!!!!!

Glad you ticked the Blyth's.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Thought I would cram one more day in before my teaching post begins.
After a lecture I went straight to Cley, no sign of any Phalaropes (RIP) but Little Stints in abundance, a Curlew Sandpiper, few Avocet and a bird that looked suspiciously like the Dowitcher I encountered at Titchwell the week before, but it was only in view for 2 seconds so I couldnt be sure. A frustrating start, but good to be out again.
Pushed onto Burnham, and after a bit of a trek got the GG Shrike on route (my second in a week!) to the Subalpine Warbler, a real stunner and a new bird for me. Drove home as the Pink Feet flew in to roost, passed a small group of Redwing too. Great stuff.
Cheers,
Jim.

Had a choice today and limited time. Do I go to Cley first for the RN Phalarope and then to burnham for the Sub warbler, or the other way around. Well I decided on the SUB first as it was reported as being elusive and I didnt know exactly where to go. The Phalarope would surely have been an easier find at Cley to quickly call in on my way home depending on if I found the area graced by the Sub, and how quickly and well it showed.
Found the area quite quickly after enjoying great views of the GG Shrike. Got fantastic views of the Sub after about half and hours wait.
Called in at Cley as per the plan to learn that it had been bumped off by a sparrow hawk.
Ah well not the best decision I ever made. They have to eat to I suppose.
Not sure what I'm going to do tomorrow. May have a poke about at Sea Palling or Gt Yarmouth cemetary.

Happy birding
Alan.

Had a choice today and limited time. Do I go to Cley first for the RN Phalarope and then to burnham for the Sub warbler, or the other way around. Well I decided on the SUB first as it was reported as being elusive and I didnt know exactly where to go. The Phalarope would surely have been an easier find at Cley to quickly call in on my way home depending on if I found the area graced by the Sub, and how quickly and well it showed.
Found the area quite quickly after enjoying great views of the GG Shrike. Got fantastic views of the Sub after about half and hours wait.
Called in at Cley as per the plan to learn that it had been bumped off by a sparrow hawk.
Ah well not the best decision I ever made. They have to eat to I suppose.
Not sure what I'm going to do tomorrow. May have a poke about at Sea Palling or Gt Yarmouth cemetary.

Happy birding
Alan.

According to the pager the Red-necked Phalarope is still there this morning.
Sue

According to the pager the Red-necked Phalarope is still there this morning.
Sue

Or maybe another..... ;)

4 Bewicks Swans are in a recently harvested sugar beet field SW of Happisburgh this morning; perhaps the Titchwell birds heading for east Norfolk? Several Bramblings and thrushes including a fine male Ring Ouzel too...

James

Hi Helen - sorry!!!;)

Thanks Helen, I suppose if I was REALLY lucky it might hang around until Friday afternoon (I finish work at lunchtime) or Saturday!!!!!

Glad you ticked the Blyth's.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

I didn't tick the Blyth's. All I saw was a brown splodge - could have been anything. With views like that, how could anyone know that the bird they saw was the Blyth's and not a Dunnock moving about the same bush?

I didn't tick the Blyth's. All I saw was a brown splodge - could have been anything. With views like that, how could anyone know that the bird they saw was the Blyth's and not a Dunnock moving about the same bush?

respeck to you for that... not sure many will be as conscientious though.

amazing how few people bothered to look for stuff at the weekend, instead just relying on their pagers and going from bird to bird.

Sabs, 2 Y-br, Red-backed, Great Grey and a Radde's in a small stretch of coast makes you wonder what might have been about had more people been looking

and rounded the day off nicely with a Great Grey Shrike in the fields east of lady annes drive.

Make that a Lesser Grey Shrike :p Woops. Saw it today though (dont know how I could have missed that :eek:) Also saw the Yellow Browed Warbler at Titchwell. It flew into willows just off the main path, near the fen path. It appeared to be with the tit flock. Very nice, bright bird.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back