• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (16 Viewers)

Hi Jason. For sewatching at Holme at this time of year there are really three key spots.

The first is the golf-course. From the carpark near the Public toliets follow the footpath to the dune edge and watch from here.

The second is Gore Point. From the carparking area near the wooden five-bar gate along the track walk right until you reach a good vantage point along the coastal footpath (wooden boardwalk).

The third is in anywhere in front of the pines. My favoured area is in front of the NOA in a small dip but anywhere should suffice.

The first two tend to be better for Long-tailed Ducks and other sea-ducks such as Scaups, while in front of the pines seems better for Divers and Grebes, as well as stuff such as Fulmars and Kittiwakes, although there is ,as you would expect, some variation. Tide is crucial at this site, while early mornings seem much better for the L T Ducks.

By putting in half and hour or more at each spot should see you right, with other stuff such as Snow Buntings a possible bonus.

thought i'd add some field obs of the Dark-Breasted Barn Owl not already mentioned as got excellent views last night

One thing not mentioned in recent discussions and Tim's article is size. I was struck how big the Wacton bird was. the overall gz was more like the short-eared owl it was flying with, rather than the small, compact, squat alba that came out as well. The bulk of the bird meant that it almost appeared to be ungainly dragging the lower half of its body around and the legs were hanging down rather that neatly tucked in as with the alba. As a consequence of the size the head seemed to merge into the body rather than appear bulbous - as on the alba.
However I think size different was accentuated by the fact the alba present was particularly small but be interested to know if guttata are normally any bigger than alba.

Have had a look at photos of recent guttatas in norfolk and would say this bird is darker than the '03 Welney bird (from Norfolk Bird report '03) and the Ludham bird but fractionally lighter than the in hand Weybourne bird (photo in NBR '04) which appears to have slightly more smudging around the eyes and greater contrast between white facial disc and darker body colour.
An interesting feature noted was on the underwing the the outer edges to all primaries and secondaries were pure white with the rest of the underwing being dirty off white, i didn't see any darker tramlines on the underwing but the bird had a buffy crescent on the carpal joint.
Buffy coloration appeared to extend right down the body and the tarsus appeared buff.

At last Long Stratton has something else to being famous for other than still not having a bypass - its now the Owl capital of the UK!

Great weekend lads - Owls, soggy feet and scrabble - unbeatable !

Attachments

• 2258635966_17b19d6d76.jpg
    2258635966_17b19d6d76.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 2258635740_4c12de0cbd_o.jpg
    2258635740_4c12de0cbd_o.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 83
  • 2257838557_bcfdd76844.jpg
    2257838557_bcfdd76844.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 2257921381_436b951a56.jpg
    2257921381_436b951a56.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 2258714854_5d9257b1a9.jpg
    2258714854_5d9257b1a9.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 67
Thanks Connor. I'll try and get down there on Wed.

Had the best performance yet from the LEO's this evening. Stood in my usual spot overlooking the marsh, and I luckily caught a split second glimpse of one owl in the opposite corner, over a hedgerow. Wandered down to that general area to find 2 birds gliding around over a ploughed field. I ended up being inadvertantly spotted by one of the birds and it proceded to circle over my head for a while, before losing interest and proceding on with its business. Marvelous!

1 Tawny calling, 4 very active Woodcocks and 4 Roe Deer also spotted.

Love the Goosander pics Jo. Is your scope anything special? It's just that I'm contemplating getting a compact camera for digiscoping with my old Kowa TSN1 and am wondering whether the results would be any good. Anything like yours, and I'll be very happy!

Jason

Having spent a nice couple of hours gull-watching at Blackborough End last Saturday afternoon (2nd Feb), I thought I'd return with digiscoping assemblage at the same time this Saturday. On arrival, however, there weren't any gulls to be seen on the lakes, and only distant birds flying over the dump, and nothing to be seen in the fields in the area. I realise that this is probably related to work (or absence thereof) being carried out on the landfill, but is anyone aware of the working hours (?alternate Saturdays perhaps?)? Would be grateful if anyone has any tips for the best times to visit at weekend, or if it's primarily regarded as a week time spot.

And if I can't get a regular weekend gull fix at Blackborough, is Saddlebow more suitable for someone who only gets to see daylight in the county at weekends?

Both sites are quite handy to pop in to on the way back from doing Atlas work in TF52; speaking of which had a huge flock of ca. 140 Brambling in a game cover belt on a TTV on Saturday morning.

Hi Jason, just to add to my post earlier 32 Long-tailed Ducks rptd today at my second location , Gore Point and this is normally the best area for them so probably a good starting point.

Connor

Love the Goosander pics Jo. Is your scope anything special? It's just that I'm contemplating getting a compact camera for digiscoping with my old Kowa TSN1 and am wondering whether the results would be any good. Anything like yours, and I'll be very happy!

Jason

Hi Jason. Thanks for the kind words. My scope is a kowa TS-614 (its the straight-bodied ED variant). Very lightweight, has a 60 mm objective I believe. The light was really good and the goosander was pretty accommodating, coming quite close on occasion. The photo was taken at ISO 100 and -1/3rd EV, with a Baader microstage adapter. All of which contributed to getting a nice shot. :t:

ETA: As good as the fuji is there is one little thing that would make digiscoping a whole lot easier and that is having an AF lock button! The number of times I have had to refocus the scope once the camera has locked on... sigh!

Hope this helps!

Jo

Last edited:
Thanks Connor. I'm looking forward to getting there.

By the way, is there any reason for there to be such high numbers in the area? Good feeding?

Jason

By the way, is there any reason for there to be such high numbers in the area? Good feeding?
Jason

Numbers of Long-tailed Ducks have been at this level for several winters really, although numbers of other seabirds, in particular Red-throated and Black-throated Divers, seem well down on previous years, although last year was exceptional...

It seems that this year we had the influx of auks, gannets and divers much earlier (c. November instead of January), while east Norfolk and Suffolk is where the big numbers of seabirds have recently been.

Connor

Thanks Penny, we got back in the small hours on Monday morning.
Great trip to Italy - got all the target birds (Scared Ibis, Northern Bobwhite, Ashy-throated Parrotbill and Vinous-throated Parrotbill) plus some other goodies like loads of Great White Egrets, Great Grey Shrike, Penduline Tit, 'Italian' Sparrow, Peregrines, Long-eared Owls and stuff.
Breaking the ice and standing for hours in ankle deep icy water waiting for Parrotbills wasn't alot of fun though!

OK, won't go on too much as I'm not sure a Norfolk birding forum is the best place....!

I'll put a proper report in the vacational trip reports forum and on my website when I can.

Take care

Chris

Afternoon all

I'm planning another trip to norfolk this Sat, Sun and Mon. Ive worked out a list of sites and species i want to see and will have a bag of seed in hand (for buntings not the sparrow!). I just have a few questions:

Where is wolverton triangle? Could anyone provide a map?
I would really like to see Twite, is anyone hiding some?! I've been following reports and on here and they seem a bit scarce this year. Is Thornham harbour still the most reliable site? Anyone seen them at Brancaster staithe or Titchwell?
Shorelarks - again anyone hiding them?!

I think i'm pretty sorted otherwise, i'll have more time this visit so looking forward to having som random wandering to find my own birds.. hopefully!

Cheers
Gareth

Interesting thread this! I managed nice views of the Wacton Common Dark-breasted Barn Owl on Saturday (after missing it by minutes the previous day). The bird was initially showing reasonably well as it roosted in the barn before putting on a good display as it hunted over the common. I managed to digiscope some record shots of the bird. It is a very striking bird and a form that I have wanted to see for many years.

Also during the weekend we had the White-crowned Sparrow at Cley, Black Brant at Holkham, Rough-legged Buzzard at Burnham Norton, Great Grey Shrike giving superb views in the evening sun on Kelling Heath, Tundra Bean Geese at Welney and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker at Tottenhill.

I have posted some pics of the Dark-breasted Barn Owl here:
http://www.atricillaimages.co.uk/index.php?q=node/2692

Some pics of the Tundra Bean Geese here:
http://www.atricillaimages.co.uk/index.php?q=node/2687

Some pics of the Rough-legged Buzzard here:
http://www.atricillaimages.co.uk/index.php?q=node/2732

Some pics of the Great Grey Shrike here:
http://www.atricillaimages.co.uk/index.php?q=node/2744

Regards
Tristan

Black Redstart showed well today at Binham Priory. Good to see you there Postcard CV. I can now put a face to a BF name!
I'm afraid this is the best I could manage as the bird was so high up! I bet you have a much better shot of it!
Sue

Attachments

• Black-Redstart-Binham-(1)-1.jpg
    Black-Redstart-Binham-(1)-1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Black Redstart showed well today at Binham Priory. Good to see you there Postcard CV. I can now put a face to a BF name!
Sue

good to see you too Sue... though I have met you before (at the junco, then the showy Sabine's at Cley and the bluetail at Weybourne), I guess I'm just too easily forgotten. ;)

Hi Paul

Yes it was the most I have EVER counted there, I have never seen more than maybe 3 together!! When it first occured I counted 3 or 4, then I got excited because more and more kept appearing!, I recounted again and counted 5, then again and counted 7, then 9, then 11 and then for the last and final count, I had a clear 13, it could have been more, but I like to under count rather than over count. A few other people were watching as well, another lady got to 9, I couldn't quite believe I had just counted 13 Marsh Harriers!!!! On the way back to centre I just caught Paul Roney as he was leaving and reported it to him.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Hi Penny

We had a look at the harrier roost last night and had 8 birds (7 females and a young male) to roost although the bird we call the 'resident female' was being territorial and chased the other birds off to the east towards Gypsy Lane.
The 'resident female' was sky dancing over the reedbed this afternoon - a fantastic sight!
3 scaup (drake and 2 females) off the boardwalk this afternoon.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back