• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (8 Viewers)

A good day today! A very kind offer a lift to the coast (many thanks R.R) meant I managed good views of the cracking Rough-legged Buzzard sat on posts and briefly in flight between Burham Norton and Burnham Deepdale from 11:30am-12:30pm at least and then got stunning views of the W C Sparrow at Cley. Unfortunately couldnt locate the Richard's Pipit at Stiffkey but the Rough-legged more than made up for that, its a real cracker with a very white head and dark belly... yummy...

Connor

Today from the Cley end of Blakeney Point; c23 Twite, feeding on saltmarsh, 6 Snow Buntings over, 1 Merlin and a pair of Stonechats. On the sea at lunchtime were c36 Red Throated Divers, 3 Common Scoters and, later on, a bit of a surprise in the shape of a ringtail Hen Harrier going east a fair way out, spotted by Richard Porter.

Hope the weather is as nice tomorrow as it was today.

Year list up to 130, with Twite the most recent addition.

Jason

Can't compete with some of the recent stuff on here but still as interesting & informative thread as ever...

- Chaffinches and at least 2 Brambling in trees opposite the Big C centre (Norfolk & Norwich hospital) this morning, quite flighty & mobile between opp. sides of the road. And a couple of Egyptian Geese, 1 GS Woodpecker, over

An hour spent sitting in Lion's Wood near Norwich turned up Great Spotted Woodpecker, Green Woodpecker, Treecreeper and a first Nuthatch of the year.

Tomorrow I'm getting the bus to Long Stratton and walking to Wacton for the Barn Owl, and fingers crossed the Short-eared Owl too :)

A good day today! A very kind offer a lift to the coast (many thanks R.R) meant I managed good views of the cracking Rough-legged Buzzard sat on posts and briefly in flight between Burham Norton and Burnham Deepdale from 11:30am-12:30pm at least and then got stunning views of the W C Sparrow at Cley. Unfortunately couldnt locate the Richard's Pipit at Stiffkey but the Rough-legged more than made up for that, its a real cracker with a very white head and dark belly... yummy...

Connor

Hi Connor

Welcome back from Wales!

Whereabouts did you see the RL Buzzard exactly please, did you park in the carpark, just off sharp corner at Burnham Norton and walk north along the seabank? or PM if preferred.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Hi Connor

Welcome back from Wales!

Whereabouts did you see the RL Buzzard exactly please, did you park in the carpark, just off sharp corner at Burnham Norton and walk north along the seabank? or PM if preferred.

Hi Penny, although for the best views of the Rough-legged Buzzard you would be wise to park up at Burnham Norton and walk north along the seawall, I got very satisfactory views from the A149. I pulled into the last layby/pull in before the main concrete pad at Burnham Norton. From here there is a line of Willows and Poplars. The Buzzard was sitting on a post out to your right across the marsh by a metal gate. I suppose a bit of luck is needed for the bird to be visible from here, but walking across the marsh between Burnham Norton and Burnham Deepdale should see you right (as you described)... Otherwise you could get luck by pulling in at other strategic points between Norton and Deepdale

Please note the bird was not visible from the mian concrete pad...

Hope this helps,

Connor

p.s. Wales trip report and report from y/day now on my website.

Last edited:
Couldn't resist a visit to Beeston Common today to have a look at the Bittern present there for some time now. It was really worth it as the Bittern in walking around, constantly on view on a small pond only c 150 m from the layby. It really is worth a visit, absolutely fantastic. Hopefully people will be sensible as it is showing so well (presumably flushing being the reason news had been kept quiet). Makes up for only just finding out about the 3 or 4 in NW Norfolk!

Take Care
David

Couldn't resist a visit to Beeston Common today to have a look at the Bittern present there for some time now. It was really worth it as the Bittern in walking around, constantly on view on a small pond only c 150 m from the layby. It really is worth a visit, absolutely fantastic. Hopefully people will be sensible as it is showing so well (presumably flushing being the reason news had been kept quiet). Makes up for only just finding out about the 3 or 4 in NW Norfolk!

Take Care
David

the story with this Bittern is that it hasn't been suppressed just that no birders have been checking Beeston Common, Ive done everything except the pond, even did the bushes further down the Common in early Jan, (but may not have been there then). There has even been a letter from a dog walker to the local free Sheringham newspaper asking saying there's a Bittern there, but the Bittern only got properly found when a local birder was asked to look at it by a neighbour, he expected a Pheasant so amazed to see it.
Theres a very thick sea fret up here at the moment and the pond is frozen most of the morning so possibly best to check it in the afternoon when its most active (it caught about 16 frogs yesterday afternoon).

easy to get to - park in the layby opposite The Maze just east of Sheringham and walk up to the pond, its extremely tame but no need to get too close as its frame filling from the edge of the pond. Also male Bullfinch this morning and someone had it in flight being mobbed by a Merlin on Sunday!

Afternoon all

Shorelarks - again anyone hiding them?!

Cheers
Gareth

There were three Shorelarks at the end of East Bank at Cley about week and half ago and 3 in November (presumably the same ones) so they must still be about somewhere, maybe further up towards the point although i'm sure its getting checked.

easy to get to - park in the layby opposite The Maze just east of Sheringham and walk up to the pond, its extremely tame but no need to get too close as its frame filling from the edge of the pond.

I totally agree, I was there earlier in the week and was amazed that some felt the need to get right down into the mud at the edge of the pond! The bird was a lot more confident once these people had moved back.

Some shots on my website - http://www.blueskybirds.co.uk/bittern.php

Hi guys,
Coming to join the masses over the weekend, can anyone answer these questions:

1) Are there any big Pinkfeet flocks at the moment?
2) Grid reference for car park at Burnham Norton?
3) Grid reference for layby at Beeston Common?
4) How many Lapland Buntings still at Salthouse, and how easy to find, any favoured area etc.?
5) Where is East Hills?

Thanks,
tom

Hi guys,

1) Are there any big Pinkfeet flocks at the moment?
4) How many Lapland Buntings still at Salthouse, and how easy to find, any favoured area etc.?

Thanks,
tom

Can answer these ones. 1) A few still around, 100 at Holkham, 50 at Stiffkey, 30 Snettisham etc. but most departed. 4) Only one now present and sometimes difficult amongst Snow Bunting flock.

Cheers,

Connor

Hang on, so the Bittern has been surpressed, but just not for 6 weeks. It was seen Y'day before dark when the message came out on the pager and, unless I read it wrong postcardcv saw it in the week.
I'm not saying this is a problem, but I am saying that we may as well call it as it is and try not to cover it up in flowery language.
I have just received a PM about the other birds and the situation was explained quietly and privately. This is the way supression should be handled, not with stories and covers!!!

Take care (and don't take me too seriously)
I'm just glad I was able to share this remarkable sighting

David

Hang on, so the Bittern has been surpressed, but just not for 6 weeks. It was seen Y'day before dark when the message came out on the pager and, unless I read it wrong postcardcv saw it in the week.
I'm not saying this is a problem, but I am saying that we may as well call it as it is and try not to cover it up in flowery language.
I have just received a PM about the other birds and the situation was explained quietly and privately. This is the way supression should be handled, not with stories and covers!!!

As I understand it the bittern has been there for a few weeks (4-6 depending on which local you talk to) but was only seen by birders in the last few days. I received a call about a showy bittern, but had to agree not to tell anyone else where it was or put shots on the web until it was made public. As I understand it the fear was/is that large numbers of people may disturb the bird causing it to abandon the food supply that it's found.

I went along that day (Monday) and was surprised to find half a dozen long lenses already pointing at it. It was instantly clear that it would not stay secret for long. As long as people are sensible and don't disturb the bird I don't see a problem with this. I went back for a second helping on Tuesday, there were less people there than the previous day and the bird was noticably more confident. I have spent four hours watching the bird and the one thing that clearly disturbs it is people getting down to the waters edge. I'd urge anyone going to stay on the paths, trust me you'll get decent enough views from there (all my shots were taken from the public footpaths).

No problem postcardcv, your shots are excellent.
Only one person (photographer) ventured onto the lower bank of the pond today (when I was there) everybody else behaved impeccably, as did the bird.
A dog walker, with his dog on a lead walked within 5 m of it with no harm done.

David

Hares

Did not go out until late afternoon, due to family stuff. Took me hour and a half (be warned if you are coming this way) to get from King's Lynn to Holme, because of the traffic lights being installed at Heacham by the Lavendar fields, was queing for ages and also while sitting in queue there were 3 horrible men with guns shooting down hares in the stubble field immediately next the main road, I was absolutely livid watching these hares run for their lives, obviously some didn't make it.:C:-C

Went to Titchwell late pm with my sister and was just scanning with scope along the beach and realised I was looking at a Peregrine sitting on the beach!!!!!!!! (4.45pm) it got up and so did all the waders! 1 slavonian grebe on the sea, along with loads of common scooter. On the way back I counted my biggest ever count of Marsh Harriers coming into roost - 13!!!!!!!!! couldn't believe it, Barn Owl too and several little egrets in the beautiful sunset, coming into roost. 2 Black Brants, several spotted redshanks, goldeneye, pintail and several reed buntings. Woodcock flew over the carpark in the dusk.

Hi Penny
Sorry to hear about your experience with hares. I'm not pro-shooting at all,
but I suppose on the plus side where cover and winter feed are put out for game birds, small birds do benefit and also of course raptors are attracted.
In Lincolnshire our problem concerning hares is that of illegal hare coursing, although I read today that a police operation to target illegal hare coursers in rural areas around Sleaford has met with some success.
More shocking has been the recent deaths of 6 Buzzards in Lincolnshire - 5 birds being shot and a sixth bird being caught in a pole trap!
Best wishes
Richard

Hi guys,

2) Grid reference for car park at Burnham Norton?
3) Grid reference for layby at Beeston Common?
5) Where is East Hills?

Thanks,
tom
Connor has answered 1 and 4, I can answer 2 & 5, maybe someone else can answer 3?

2. - http://www.geograph.org.uk/browse.php?p=309712 (basically going along A149 coast road east (from King's Lynn) turn left into Burnham Norton, going through village, when you get to a VERY sharp left hand bend, turn off right on the bend into rough carpark and then follow foopath signs north.

5. - http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/582646 (do not walk out to East Hills without going with someone else that knows how to get out there, VERY dangerous with tides etc, I have never been out there, but hoping to have a guided tour out there, with someone this year!

Best Wishes Penny :girl:

Last edited:
Hi Penny, although for the best views of the Rough-legged Buzzard you would be wise to park up at Burnham Norton and walk north along the seawall, I got very satisfactory views from the A149. I pulled into the last layby/pull in before the main concrete pad at Burnham Norton. From here there is a line of Willows and Poplars. The Buzzard was sitting on a post out to your right across the marsh by a metal gate. I suppose a bit of luck is needed for the bird to be visible from here, but walking across the marsh between Burnham Norton and Burnham Deepdale should see you right (as you described)... Otherwise you could get luck by pulling in at other strategic points between Norton and Deepdale

Please note the bird was not visible from the mian concrete pad...

Hope this helps,

Connor

p.s. Wales trip report and report from y/day now on my website.

Thanks Connor:t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back