• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (13 Viewers)

Great photos, I love the slight inclination of the lizard's head towards the darter!

How accurate are long range forecasts, because I find that even the BBC five-day forecast gets pretty unreliable towards the end...?

Did the sluice again this morning hoping that the thunderstorm would have a) recreated the wader pool and b) landed a wader on it. It did neither. On the other hand there was a bit of raptor passage with 2 Marsh Harriers, a juvenile Buzzard and a Hobby all migrating through.

Titchwell September 3rd

Today's highlights

White rumped sandpiper - adult on fresh marsh until 10:20 before flying off although it did the same yeaterday and returned in the evening.
Curlew sandpiper - 8 (2ads, 6 juvs) on fresh marsh
Spoonbill - 3 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 15 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Cormorant - 66 roosting in dead trees
Mandarin - eclipse drake on brackish marsh
Red necked grebe - 1 offshore
Arctic skua - 3 offshore
Eider - 6 offshore
Garganey - 2 on grazing meadow pool

Would people be interested if I posted this information on a daily basis? It is something I already produce although would probably not get posted when I am not working.

Let me know what you think

Paul

Thanks for the info Ilya.
Paul, I for one would appreciate the info, whenever you get the chance. Its always helpful/useful/interesting to read others sightings.
Cheers,
Jim

Today's highlights

White rumped sandpiper - adult on fresh marsh until 10:20 before flying off although it did the same yeaterday and returned in the evening.
Arctic skua - 3 offshore
Eider - 6 offshore

Would people be interested if I posted this information on a daily basis? It is something I already produce although would probably not get posted when I am not working.

Paul

Hi Paul

It would be great if you could post Titchwell info daily please.:t:

Thank you.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Today's highlights

Arctic skua - 3 offshore
Eider - 6 offshore

Paul

Paul - Yes Please. Always happy to see what is at Titchwell when I cannot get there :t:

Where did you get your info from? The weather forecasts I've looked at suggest strong northerlies further north, but with the low being centred roughly over the UK, we'll get southerlies here.

From what I can decipher, conditions aren't really looking that great over the next week or so in Norfolk (although excellent in SW Ireland). The most interesting thing is the strong SW winds and heavy rain sweeping-up from Biscay, which may funnel a few seabirds through the channel. My guess is it could be quite good for Balearic Shearwaters on the east coast, with the possibility of a Cory's (a lot of stuff doesn't like passing through the Channel though, with Sab Gull pretty rare at Portland for example). There could be S-SE winds on Friday on Saturday, with high pressure over the southern + south-eastern continent meaning clear weather. Might be the odd Rose-coloured Starling or something.

My advice would be to stay in this weekend and go out next week as the lonnger-range forecast is looking pretty Mega. If you do go out this week end, Yank waders probably still the best to look out for - got to be a Short-billed Dowitcher on its way!

I'd say go out whatever the conditions! Something ive found this year seawatching is that ive had good days in average wind conditions i.e westerlies. southwesterlies and easterlies, not overwhelming with stuff pouring past but good tallies of birds with scarce mixed in. I think its the classic case of things happen when you least expect them, (also i sometimes find seawatches with really heavy passage are too overwhelming because there is so much stuff pouring through).
I'm encouraged by the wind conditions for the next few days - SW here but northlies further up the north sea, its been like this quite a bit this autumn, and i think what has been happening is stuff gets blown down then loafs around for a while, so although theres no heavy passage there is always the chance of something. This is one of the peak times of the year full stop so birds are migrating whatever the conditions. It early days yet but next tuesday looks pretty mental with SE gales on the way.

I'd say go out whatever the conditions! Something ive found this year seawatching is that ive had good days in average wind conditions i.e westerlies. southwesterlies and easterlies, not overwhelming with stuff pouring past but good tallies of birds with scarce mixed in. I think its the classic case of things happen when you least expect them, (also i sometimes find seawatches with really heavy passage are too overwhelming because there is so much stuff pouring through).
I'm encouraged by the wind conditions for the next few days - SW here but northlies further up the north sea, its been like this quite a bit this autumn, and i think what has been happening is stuff gets blown down then loafs around for a while, so although theres no heavy passage there is always the chance of something. This is one of the peak times of the year full stop so birds are migrating whatever the conditions. It early days yet but next tuesday looks pretty mental with SE gales on the way.

I basically agree - effort = find, irrespective of when and I post my posts about birds, vagrancy and weather to be taken with a pinch of salt. It's just something I've become very interested in recently, and am posting as much to stimulate debate as anything else as I've still got loads to learn about it.

That said, as someone who isn't quite as seabird orientated as you, I do find the weather a very useful guide as to what to focus my efforts on. I.e when to bird and when to do the other stuff that needs doing to let me bird when its good. Also, what to focus on - I'm motivated by finding my own birds, be them waterbirds, landbirds or seabirds. A strong NW would see me seawatching, but an easterly with a bit of rain or mist and good weather over the continent would see me up Blakeny Point. A string of strong westerlies and I'll be scanning the freshmarshes for Bairds or white-rumped etc.

Also, I'm sure you'd admit - there is something extraordinally exciting about hitting the coast after a strong NW and watching the Sooties and Skuas pile past at close range, with the prospect of Sab gull or a few petrels likely.

That said, as someone who isn't quite as seabird orientated as you, I do find the weather a very useful guide as to what to focus my efforts on
Couldnt agree more. I use a similar stratergy i.e. basing a list of target species on the weather conditions forecast and searching for these accordingly. Although I'm sure the vast majority of us have a favoured area of birding, mine is viz-migging, which I do most autumn days regardless of the weather conditions... I'll seawatch in most winds as well...

Daily sightings would be much appreciated Paul. As a birder from the next site along the coast it will be especially useful!

I basically agree - effort = find, irrespective of when and I post my posts about birds, vagrancy and weather to be taken with a pinch of salt. It's just something I've become very interested in recently, and am posting as much to stimulate debate as anything else as I've still got loads to learn about it.

That said, as someone who isn't quite as seabird orientated as you, I do find the weather a very useful guide as to what to focus my efforts on. I.e when to bird and when to do the other stuff that needs doing to let me bird when its good. Also, what to focus on - I'm motivated by finding my own birds, be them waterbirds, landbirds or seabirds. A strong NW would see me seawatching, but an easterly with a bit of rain or mist and good weather over the continent would see me up Blakeny Point. A string of strong westerlies and I'll be scanning the freshmarshes for Bairds or white-rumped etc.

Also, I'm sure you'd admit - there is something extraordinally exciting about hitting the coast after a strong NW and watching the Sooties and Skuas pile past at close range, with the prospect of Sab gull or a few petrels likely.

Yep agree with what your saying, and i do realise i'm lucky to have the sea literally 4 minutes away from my doorstep so theres always only going to be one winner between the Weakest Link and a few skuas;). However, (and this just confirms what your saying about being sea orientated ) i really sense theres been a resurrection in seawatching during quiet times this year, theres a chap doing it at Sheringham most mornings, i do the evenings, sea palling/ eccles is getting great coverage, happisburgh is being well watched. I think people used to think that things only happened during big blows, but this year ive derived just as much pleasure in seeing a large passage of common stuff like Redshank (99 on one day last week) as when the big guns are shootiing through.

As for 'the other stuff that needs doing to let me bird when its good' - yeah what a pain, i'm hoping if they do finally build a Tesco's at Sheringham, they will build it near the tanks so i won't have far to go for my shopping! :-O

1 Manx and 6 Arctics this evening, 1 a third sum and some dark juvs

By the way Ilya, i really think your comment in the spring about wanting to see more comments regarding migration / interesting sighting rather than pager tales has really rejuvenated this thread, not wanting to get mushy or nothing:gh: but there really seems to be a buzz about this thread at the moment and EVERYONE is saying some great varied stuff:t:

Have to say I too like magicseaweed; another weather site that I find interesting is xcweather where the data is refreshed every 30 minutes.

It was a bit blustery along the cliffs here late morning, 4 Wheatears just south of the village being the only birds of any note...

James

Where did you get your info from? The weather forecasts I've looked at suggest strong northerlies further north, but with the low being centred roughly over the UK, we'll get southerlies here.

It was from MagicSeaweed, Ilya... but over the last 24 hours they've revised the forecast, leaving Norfolk looking pretty poor, as you say. When I posted, the northerly airstream was predicted to come right down the North Sea.

Agree with your summary of "leave it til next weekend", based on the current forecast. Let's hope this time the details get better and better for birding as we get closer to the date, rather than worse, as often seems to be the case!

A strong NW would see me seawatching, but an easterly with a bit of rain or mist and good weather over the continent would see me up Blakeny Point. A string of strong westerlies and I'll be scanning the freshmarshes for Bairds or white-rumped etc.
QUOTE]

incidentally something people havent mentioned is raptors, during the south easterlies last week there was a brilliant passage of raptors at Dungeness and Sussex over a period of some days last week http://www.dungenessbirdobs.org.uk/lateframe.html
This did filter up to Norfolk with Honey Buzzard and an Osprey heading West along the ridge, Incleborough possibly could have been pretty good, perhaps opportunity has gone now, but worth remembering that south easterlies in August / September is probably best time for raptor passage.

Have to say I too like magicseaweed; another weather site that I find interesting is xcweather where the data is refreshed every 30 minutes.

It was a bit blustery along the cliffs here late morning, 4 Wheatears just south of the village being the only birds of any note...

James

James I think this is an excellent site (xcweather).The one thing I have found over the years,is that the forecasts can never, or I should say, don't often get the speed of the movement of the fronts right,IE moving through quicker than you would expect.

POP

[incidentally something people havent mentioned is raptors, during the south easterlies last week there was a brilliant passage of raptors at Dungeness and Sussex over a period of some days last week http://www.dungenessbirdobs.org.uk/lateframe.html
This did filter up to Norfolk with Honey Buzzard and an Osprey heading West along the ridge, Incleborough possibly could have been pretty good, perhaps opportunity has gone now, but worth remembering that south easterlies in August / September is probably best time for raptor passage.

Ye - I still need a proper migrant Honey Buzzard for my self-found list, so I'll be scouring the skies. What else do you think comes in on a SE, as Friday afternoon looks like it will be strong SE? I wonder about Black Stork at this time of year.

Incidentally, I reckon the latest predictions suggest we could be in for quite a good east coast fall on Friday afternoon and Saturday morning as Scandinavia looks a bit clearer than previously suggested and the winds might be ESE rather than straight S.

Ye - I still need a proper migrant Honey Buzzard for my self-found list, so I'll be scouring the skies. What else do you think comes in on a SE, as Friday afternoon looks like it will be strong SE? I wonder about Black Stork at this time of year.

Incidentally, I reckon the latest predictions suggest we could be in for quite a good east coast fall on Friday afternoon and Saturday morning as Scandinavia looks a bit clearer than previously suggested and the winds might be ESE rather than straight S.

On Gb wind map Easterly at approx 3.00pm at Weybourne, but Saturday shows southerly's,heavy rain on Friday.Looks like pick and mix for the weekend.

POP

Titchwell September 4th

Today's highlights

White rumped sandpiper - adult briefly on lagoons @ 11:45 before flying off
Ruff - 12 on fresh marsh
Curlew sandpiper - 5 juvs on fresh marsh
Dunlin - 61 on fresh marsh
Pintail - 3 on fresh marsh
Avocet - 79 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 3 on fresh marsh
Mandarin - drake on fresh marsh
Shoveler - 123 on fresh marsh
Pink footed goose - 3 on fresh marsh
Arctic skua - 2 offshore
Garganey - 1 on reedbed pool

Note that management work will be taking place on the fresh marsh from 06:00 tomorrow (5th) morning.

Paul

had a closer look at the forecast and i don't really think it looks particularly good for the next few days, the low over the uk is right but there is also a low over scandanavia with cloud and rain, wind seems to be emininating from central europe, still going to give Blakeney a go but think its a long shot - maybe 1 Rosefinch, RB Fly or Wryneck with very few common migrants is the best i'm hoping for but already got that Blakeney sinking feeling that i'm going to get soaking wet and and see BA.

Magicseaweed now changed again and looks absolutely useless for next week (best day - Monday, with lots of southerlies - what are they trying to do to us.

Sea has totally cleared out at the moment 2 Black Tern and 1 Arctic Skua this afternoon, but over the last three days have counted less than 10 Gannets, no Fulmars, Kittiwakes etc!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back