• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (17 Viewers)

trappeddownsouth said:
come on then own up, who saw the king eider at salthouse, does any one know its sex and age and what it was up too.

Birdguides have it listed as "a probable 1st-winter drake". It was seen on Sunday, but no doubt someone will look for it today.

Birdline:

Snettisham, south end of reserve, 3 Med. Gulls and Black Eared Kite still.

Green Winged Teal at Minsmere and 4 med gulls.

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker at Bayfield Hall.

From NOA website:

'At Holme NOA 4 Scaup were offshore and 2 Red-breasted Mergansers, 1 Red-throated Diver, 1 Great Crested Grebe and 7 Fulmars were of note. 210 Brent Geese were on the marsh and 3 Goldcrests were with the tit flock in the scrub.'

The Lesser White-front (escape) has been seen regularly of late in East Norfolk

Pink-feet numbers are massively down, Hen Harriers are up to five now and a pair of cranes has been feeding in fields south of Horsey Mill, on and off for several days now

looking forward to getting out this weekend

Tim

not a lot about up horsey this morning, . A few Greylags and i think it must have been that Lesser Whitefront in with them (just through West Somerton) and some distant plovers . 2 Marsh harriers & 1 crane distantly in flight

had some time to spare so went up[ to Overstrand (really good cafe on the cliffs) - along the way saw a couple of bees and noted my first singing Yelowhammers of the year.
From Overstarnd cliffs - c.4 Porpoises past N, gulls & turnstones on the beach etc. A couple of Gannets, several divers and 1 Guillemot out to sea. Nothing to shout too loudly about but what a lovely day

Karl J said:
not a lot about up horsey this morning, . A few Greylags and i think it must have been that Lesser Whitefront in with them (just through West Somerton) and some distant plovers . 2 Marsh harriers & 1 crane distantly in flight

had some time to spare so went up[ to Overstrand (really good cafe on the cliffs) - along the way saw a couple of bees and noted my first singing Yelowhammers of the year.
From Overstarnd cliffs - c.4 Porpoises past N, gulls & turnstones on the beach etc. A couple of Gannets, several divers and 1 Guillemot out to sea. Nothing to shout too loudly about but what a lovely day
Did you cycle all the way and back? Impressive!
Sean

Yes Sean, cheers, gorgeous day for it. I actually had ideas on going to Cley-spy for some new bin's but then i got up too late...

Horsey Mill tea hut open again now btw

Finished work early today and escaped to Holme for the afternoon.

Beautiful sunny day.Short eared owl scanning the marsh, a female marsh harrier being mobbed by a corvid, way out on the horizon. Ruddy Duck on Broad Water. Wigeon, loads of Brents flying east. About 10+ greenfinches, few goldfinches. 1 Long tailed tit sitting with a blackbird in a hawthorn. Was going for a walk on the beach up to Thornham Point but had to change my mind (another reason why I am coming back as a man in the next life!!!) as 4 men that just looked dodgy (not birders) suddenly appeared over the dunes and my instinct told me to 'about turn' - I always feel safe at Holme, but this time there was only them and me and had I walked where I was going to I put have put myself in a possible tricky situation - never mind, where I am going tomorrow, there will be loads of good old birders!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Penny Clarke said:
Was going for a walk on the beach up to Thornham Point but had to change my mind (another reason why I am coming back as a man in the next life!!!) as 4 men that just looked dodgy (not birders) suddenly appeared over the dunes and my instinct told me to 'about turn'

Penny, get yourself a rottweiler!

Well done with the short eared owl btw o:)

Matt

Karl J said:
...Overstrand (really good cafe on the cliffs) - c.4 Porpoises past N...

Agree with the cafe Karl, it is as you say. Porpoise are regular off here, often lingering very close inshore. Was at the cafe once when exclamations of "Dolphin! Look a Dolphin!" went up. It was a really close Porpoise of course, terrific views.

Saw Pink-feet over my garden for the first time in over two weeks this late afternoon; 17 and 36. My guess is that they are getting the calling of the breeding grounds already...

James

Lesser White-front still around Somerton. Very nice views too.

Lots of Cetti's, Marsh Harriers, couple of cranes, about 80 Skylarks in one flock. Couple of Porpoises past Sea Palling and at least 40 RT Divers south in about 45 mins. About 1200 Pinks still around. 100+ Greylags. A few Stonechats and Mipits but no Wapits today. 30 Pied Wags roosting in Sea Palling

Last edited:
not a bad day in the ol' county

Salthouse, around 9am:
Glaucous Gull on the beach and the sea early on before it disappeared
Snow Bunting and Little Stint both showing very well near the beach car park

9 Shore Lark at Cley, by the coastguards, also a pale-bellied Brent.

Then onto Buckenham, where we failed to locate the American Wigeon among the entire world population of Eurasian Wigeon. 20+ Ruff and a Water Pipit.

Horsey Corner late afternoon, early evening: 2+ Marsh Harrier, 7+ Crane affording excellent views and calling lots, 2 Barn Owl and a distant Hooded or Hybrid Crow.

The day was slightly let down by a crazy birder who threatened violence whilst (erroneously) accusing my birding associate of scaring the Glaucous Gull away. In all my years of birding never have I encountered a birder of such a violent and hostile predisposition.

Woke up to pouring rain early morning, so when back to sleep!!!!!

Left Lynn just after 9am in the end, looking brighter now, passed Rainbow Supermarket (bottom of Knights' Hill) (PLEASE NOTE!!!!!) on route to Walsey Hills/Salthouse. On the way I dropped into Cley Spy to ask them if they had any type of case that would fit my Nikon ED50, couldn't believe it!!!!!! as soon as I arrived a man in the shop remembered me buying my scope last year and said they had just bought a new case out!!!!! They were putting it on display first time today, first batch arriving in a month, was really pleased, much much better than the 'In Focus' case - £39.99, olive green, really snug fit, brilliant, pre-ordered inc free P+P, mine was the first order, arriving in a month, will look forward to that!!!

I arrived at Walsey Hills just after 11am to spend the day with NOA volunteer warden Pete Snook who told me that on his pager (I don't have one) there were 7 waxwings at Rainbow Supermarket, King's Lynn just after 9am!!!!!!!! I bl**dy passed that earlier on!!!!!!!!! :C

Usual stuff on the feeders at Walsey and round about in the bushes, chaffinches, blue tits, great tits, dunnock, linnets, several long tailed tits, wrens, cettis warbler singing, Juv. marsh harrier over the marsh, sparrow hawk, lots of skylarks in the field at the back of Walsey. After lunch and long chin wag, walked along east bank, knot, curlew, wigeon, shelduck, little egret, 2 spotted redshanks, ringed plover, dunlin, common redshank, brents, pink feet. Seawatching produced a black throated diver. Back to Walsey for tea and cake and then along to Salthouse about 5.30, 2 pied wags flew over and also barn owl (Pete saw distantly), I didn't. Beautiful scenery around Salthouse, have not been up this end for a while, must come again here soon ;) I had hoped to maybe photograph an adder basking in the sun today, but none seen yet. Finished off the day with sunset over Cley and vege burger and chips and then home. Lovely day, lovely company in a beautiful part of Norfolk.

Best Wishes Penny :girl:

Nice report Penny,pity you didnt get to se any Adders.Mind you,you can always watch Countdown during the week.Plenty of Adders on there..! :t:

aythya_hybrid said:
Salthouse, around 9am:
Glaucous Gull on the beach and the sea early on before it disappeared
Snow Bunting and Little Stint both showing very well near the beach car park

9 Shore Lark at Cley, by the coastguards, also a pale-bellied Brent.

Then onto Buckenham, where we failed to locate the American Wigeon among the entire world population of Eurasian Wigeon. 20+ Ruff and a Water Pipit.

Horsey Corner late afternoon, early evening: 2+ Marsh Harrier, 7+ Crane affording excellent views and calling lots, 2 Barn Owl and a distant Hooded or Hybrid Crow.

The day was slightly let down by a crazy birder who threatened violence whilst (erroneously) accusing my birding associate of scaring the Glaucous Gull away. In all my years of birding never have I encountered a birder of such a violent and hostile predisposition.
Perhaps you should have offered him to a "Glasgow sandwich"

POP

Half an hour spent yesterday afternoon watching over marshes at Ludham Bridge... 2 Barn Owls and a Marsh Harrier, single Oystercatcher on a flood and Skylarks songflighting.

From the Johnson Street end of the village c.30-40 Mute Swans were joined by 7 Bewicks'.

James

3rd March, 2007

A visit to North–west Norfolk did not disappoint, with 72 different species being recorded throughout the day. However, it was not so much the quantity, but the quality of the birds that made the day special.

Wolferton was the first stop where at least nine Woodcock and two Jays were seen before viewing the first of our target birds, a Golden Pheasant (one female). A further 26 species were added to the list at this location. Highlights included Barn Owl (quartering the land to the north of the village), Sparrowhawk (1 female) and Common Buzzard (2).

Next up was Snettisham, where the second target bird was the long staying Black–eared Kite. The morning could not have gone better. Hen Harrier (1 ringtal), Marsh Harrier (at least 3), Common Buzzard (2), Merlin (1) and Kestrel (1) were the raptors. Geese included Greylag Goose (100+), Canada Goose (50+), Egyption Goose (6+), White–fronted Goose (2), Brent Goose (2), Pink–footed Goose (200+), Barnacle Goose (12+), Ross’s Goose and a blue morph Snow Goose.

A further 43 species were added to the list, including the Black–eared Kite viewed to the west of the pumping station.

Many thanks to all who have helped me with the visit.

DaveB

Forgot to mention the four Shorelarks (by rotary hide) and the Med Gull flying over the pumping station.

Thanks!

Attachments

• SnowGeese@Snettisham_030307.jpg
    SnowGeese@Snettisham_030307.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
A couple of hours along the clifftop this morning saw a few small parties of Linnet east along with a couple of alba Wagtails and 3 Stock Doves. An almost electric 'spitz' call drew my attention to a Grey Wagtail also eastbound. Two Mistle Thrushes purposefully headed west, small parties of Black-headed Gulls were passing east some way offshore whilst the odd Herring and Lesser Black-backed headed mostly west.

Great Crested Grebe in summer plumage and 2 Porpoise at sea and it looks like the authorities are finally putting in some habitat for Purple Sandpipers! :clap:

At Walcott seafront c.60 Turnstone and a 2W & 1W Med Gull...

James

Attachments

• Happisburgh.jpg
    Happisburgh.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 107
I saw my first house martin of the year this morning - a single hawking over fields just west of Castle Acre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back