• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (9 Viewers)

Presumably the sea watching ain't so hot now that the winds have died off (and the sun come out!)

Might do the coast tomorrow somewhere between Titchwell/Sheringham and wondering how best to spend my time?

Matt

Few bits at Holme yesterday with Pied Fly seen by some (but not by me unfortunately), 2 Spotted Flycatchers, 2 Wheatears, 1 Yellow Wag w etc.

Today Barred Warbler and Whinchat rptd this afternoon, Barred 300 yrds west of firs in bushes along approach road.

cheers,

Connor

Couldn't be bothered with the crowds on the coast so had a couple walks inland. Nothing of real note but some nice butterflies on the old railway line between Heacham and Sedgeford including 2 brimstones and a clouded yellow yesterday and a wander around the Fring area today produced a nice turtle dove and a few marsh harrriers.

Bring back those east winds!!

Paul

chump city on the north coast so soon headed for home

Met up with Ilya and had six Arctic Skuas and six Sooty Shearwaters north past Sea Palling this afternoon and early evening.

Tim

For pics of the Red Backed Shrikes at Holme NW and Cley NWT and the Wryneck at Thornham Point see my website (link below)

Cheers,

Hi all,

Thought I might as well post as I met a couple of the regulars on here at Holme on Sunday. Have just (this May) moved up to Norfolk (the Cambridgeshire-end of it) from West Sussex, and starting to get out in the field more regularly now. Having spent last week in an office in London watching the Greenish counter tick up, I had hoped something would remain undiscovered until Sunday, and I spent the day searching between Hunstanton cliffs and Holme - unfortunately the improvement in the weather didn't do me any favours migrant wise, but I'm not complaining (that much) as it was a pretty good day out. Haven't much to add to what's already been reported - the stretch of dunes along the golf course was pretty much deserted both times; nice to see a couple of Clouded Yellows along here though.
Stuck in the office again now, and with 'home improvement' scheduled for at least one day/weekend for the foreseeable future, here's to hoping that the next time the wind goes NE, it gives us casual weekend searchers more of a chance!

Cheers,

Ben

Welcome to the county Ben. As a fellow 'casual' these days I know how difficult periods like the last 10 days can be... The forecast was full of promise and boy did it deliver! And I didn't (couldn't!) get amongst it. Oh well...

James

Can I ask for details of Clouded yellow sightings please (count, date, time and map ref). You can either PM me or email [email protected]. (Also any camberwell beauty sightings or visible migrations in off the sea of any species). And if anyone would like some reporting forms for casual observations of all species of butterflies, let me know your snail mail address and I'll happily post you some. (we particularly need records for places where birdwatchers don't normally go - the north norfolk coast is well covered but we get hardly anything from the south-west o fthe county, or around diss or dereham). Thanks
Andy Brazil
County butterfly recorder

Hi Paul, what was presumably the same bird was at Holme earlier this summer.

Today was slow at Holme in general but sea was good. Had 18 Arctic Skuas, 3Great Skuas, 2 Pom Skuas (i juv + 1 light phase adult), 1 Kittiwake and 3 juv. Black Terns. The Poms were also seen off the golf course by another Holme regular.

Wheatear, Reed Warbler, 4 Lesser Whitethroats and reasonable numbers of Chiffchaff and Blackcap in the dunes but no sign of the Barred Warbler.

Overhead wader passage was good again with 36 Whimbrel and 10 Greenshanks, while wader numbers were also high on the beach.

Finished the day by seeing the Sacred Ibis at Holkham (see rarebirds thread)

For full sightings check out www.noa.org.uk

Cheers,

Norfolk 25 - 28 Aug

Hi all
Tina and I were able to enjoy a lovely extended bank holiday weekend in North Norfolk birding and walking in wonderful weather.
Dipped on a few of the rarities I'm afraid ; including the wryneck,barred warbler and red backed shrike.
However we managed to see the greenish at Thornham Point(Sat), hobby at Cley, turtle dove at Holme and a couple of yellow wags at Chosley Barns.
Also a number of winchats and wheatears at various locations in addition to the usual array of waders.
Also great for dragon flies.
Lovely, birds and scenery - thank you Norfolk.
Best
mick

Attachments

• TITCHWELL  GREENISH WARBLER TWITCH 250807.jpg
    TITCHWELL GREENISH WARBLER TWITCH 250807.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 139
  • X WINCHAT  CLEY 260807.jpg
    X WINCHAT CLEY 260807.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 93
  • X WHEATEAR GUNN HILL BURNHAM OS 260807.jpg
    X WHEATEAR GUNN HILL BURNHAM OS 260807.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 82
  • KNOT TITCHWELL BEACH 250807.jpg
    KNOT TITCHWELL BEACH 250807.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 105
Hi all
Tina and I were able to enjoy a lovely extended bank holiday weekend in North Norfolk birding and walking in wonderful weather.
Dipped on a few of the rarities I'm afraid ; including the wryneck,barred warbler and red backed shrike.
However we managed to see the greenish at Thornham Point(Sat), hobby at Cley, turtle dove at Holme and a couple of yellow wags at Chosley Barns.
Also a number of winchats and wheatears at various locations in addition to the usual array of waders.
Also great for dragon flies.
Lovely, birds and scenery - thank you Norfolk.
Best
mick

Glad you enjoyed it Mick! It was also good to get some decent weather for a change!
Best Wishes
Sue
(I am in the middle of your picture at Thornham! White T-shirt with cap holding camera)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back