• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (3 Viewers)

With just two days to go two new possibilities have just turned up and could be chased tomorrow: Killdeer on Scilly and Laughing Gull in Denmark. I have no clue however if they are going to do anything or if they have already decided that their year is now over...
Looks as if Greater Yellowlegs was the end.

I was surprised how similar the big year totals are for ABA, Aus and now WP.

Perhaps the next step is South America or Africa.

I don't think I can manage to search through 2800+ posts for this, but what were the top WP Big Year totals before this year's 761?
Joe

761 then?
Obviously a tremendous effort but, for me, beatable.
I think the next people/person will beat it. I suppose because there’s a target.
Well done everyone.

I don't think I can manage to search through 2800+ posts for this, but what were the top WP Big Year totals before this year's 761?
Joe

Think L Evans had 600+ (650?) under a slightly more relaxed taxonomy, and I had 550 AERC a few years back.

And that was about it?!

... ?

Last edited:
It's been a month and I've tried to write a commentary about this big year.
Let me know what you think :)

https://thelittlestint.blogspot.de/2018/02/a-commentary-on-first-attempt-of-big.html

Maffong
Well done Maffong! You have put in a lot of work during the WP Bigyear and again here.
I’m just wondering, perhaps their record will never be broken as future attempts will most probably use the newer WP boundaries as per Dominic Mitchell(and the upcoming Shirihai WP passerines book?).

Well done Maffong! You have put in a lot of work during the WP Bigyear and again here.
I’m just wondering, perhaps their record will never be broken as future attempts will most probably use the newer WP boundaries as per Dominic Mitchell(and the upcoming Shirihai WP passerines book?).

Has it been agreed by any committee/s or do we have authors setting boundaries?

A

They held an entertaining talk at the Dutch Birding day today. They really rubbed it in that the Dutch don't care about Cat C birds ("WP listers must see (or hear) them") and they also mentioned the limits of the WP ("according to BWP"). "Rules are fun" – must be a Swedish thing!
I must attach a picture for everyone with an interest in the state of telecommunication in the WP...

Attachments

• DB-day.jpg
    DB-day.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 161
They held an entertaining talk at the Dutch Birding day today. They really rubbed it in that the Dutch don't care about Cat C birds ("WP listers must see (or hear) them") and they also mentioned the limits of the WP ("according to BWP"). "Rules are fun" – must be a Swedish thing!
I must attach a picture for everyone with an interest in the state of telecommunication in the WP...

England had worst 4G, worse that W Sahara.....?!

A

England had worst 4G, worse than W Sahara.....?!
They even lost coverage on the M25. We can all agree that coverage in Britain is crap, can't we? (Germany must be in the bottom 5).

They admitted W Sahara was rather "surprisingly good" instead of "best", but they were watching youtube videos at Oued Jenna.

They even lost coverage on the M25. We can all agree that coverage in Britain is crap, can't we? (Germany must be in the bottom 5).

They admitted W Sahara was rather "surprisingly good" instead of "best", but they were watching youtube videos at Oued Jenna.

4G in the UK is a national embarrassment - Hampshire is barely covered in many areas with many areas with no signal at all - you have to remember that most people use data from home, so mast coverage is focused on urban areas. Planning restrictions also limit mast heights - not something you'll have a problem with in China for example.

cheers, alan

England had worst 4G, worse that W Sahara.....?!

A

I found mobile phone reception along the Aouserd road patchy but maybe similar to my experience of the Bristol to London train line....... :eek!:

I certainly caused some consternation for our guide when I responded to a text message to celebrate a football result. :king:

In Dakhla, it was better than Bristol.

All the best

Parts of the Suffolk are bad and particularly along the coast is awful for signal. Last year, in a remote forest area in Bulgaria got a phone call from work! Much better signal then back home.

Gi

If I was setting a target for someone, it would be:-
Category 1 - 323 species
Category 2 - 229 species
Category 3 - 105 species
Category 5 - 36 species
Category 6 - 20 species
Category 7 - 7 species
Target - 720 species

Workings attached on categories and happy to expose my thinking and be corrected on any!

All the best

Paul

They did better than I thought before the year started (19.12.16). I think that their total equates to c740 on a Netfugl basis (as at that stage) so a full 20 higher.

It is important of course to remember the different bases eg Netfugl, Clements, IOC, etc - including with comparisons of Noah Strycker's and Arjan Dwarhuis' World Years - when talking about totals/predictions.

Will anyone really keep a WP list on a different geographical basis or do a Big Year on one? Its only real interest is its history otherwise you may as well see the species where they are far easier?

All the best

Last edited:
Has it been agreed by any committee/s or do we have authors setting boundaries?

A

Setting zoological boundaries is based on faunistic studies. In the old times, these were published mainly in books and now mainly in articles. In the case we are discussing now, it’s neither DM’s book nor the forthcoming WP passerines who first proposed changing the WP boundaries to include Arabia and Iran (or parts of them). Both of these works are applying the previous works. For a starter, see this page about the definition of the ‘Greater Western Palearctic’ and the references it cited. (easily read with Google translator).

See also this article and the references in cited:

Roselaar, K. 2006. The boundaries of the Palearctic region. British Birds 99: 602-618.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back