• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new E3 with the 12-60mm arrived and loving it,, (1 Viewer)

Derry

had the E500 since it hit the streets and the camera did fairly well,, after the E3 data was released with the new SWD lens I figured it was time for a real upgrade,, had Nikons in the past during the film days with an F4 & F5,,

gave the daughter, that likes photography, all the E500 items I had and went to the local camera store to review the E3 besides the new D300 Nikon,, the VGA screen on the D300 is something to see I will say,, they both really looked good but the E3 offered a far better grip for my large hands and the over-all appearence of quality was better,, they both are feature rich and will more than meet my requirements,, since I have always liked Oly glass and with the new 12-60mm / 50-200mm and the SWD focus system I decided on the new E3,,

after the first hundred plus photos I must say I am totally pleased,, I have the 12-60mm lens as well as an Oly 35mm macro,, the new 50-200 SWD is not on the streets yet,,

when I posted my first photos on the computer at home even the wife commented about how good the pictures looked,, skin tones are super and the resolution is amazing,, don't know about it being the fastest focus on the street but when ya hit that release button it goes bip and your in focus with zero hunting,, certainly faster than anything I have had in my hands so far,, the ability to focus quickly in very dim light is totally acurate,, at first I thought the movable view window would not be used that much but when it is available it becomes a very fine asset,,

I set many of the cameras functions even prior to reading the manual,, so much of the camera is very easy to understand and use,,

will also be trying the camera on my TV 85 telescope in prime focus for a few bird shots,,

at this point I would certainly write the check again and have no question that after several thousands of photos that same feeling will be there,,

no reply to this gues oly arn't used by many ,i read about the e3 and it really does look very good and you get a lot for the money thats for sure .
Its just the cost of the lense's that suprise me they very exspencive conpared to say canon (my system) or Nikon .
But if i was just starting out i would give Oly a good look at thats for sure.
Rob.

no reply to this gues oly arn't used by many ,i read about the e3 and it really does look very good and you get a lot for the money thats for sure .
Its just the cost of the lense's that suprise me they very exspencive conpared to say canon (my system) or Nikon .
But if i was just starting out i would give Oly a good look at thats for sure.
Rob.
It's definitely quieter on the Olympus forum than those of the big two. I have had a soft spot for Olympus cameras since I had an OM10 many years ago and am currently debating whether I want to get into DSLRs (they do seem to take over your life). If I do, the E-510 is top of my list at the moment, although I am also keeping an eye on the new ultrazooms, such as the SP-570, which might fit my requirements of a light, compact, portable camera which takes decent shots.

Anyway, it would be nice to see Olympus getting a higher profile than they presently have on this forum and it's good to hear such a positive review of the E3 from Derry.

Ron

have had the camera now going on two months and still love it,, have shot about 3500 photos so far and the keepers are higher than I expected or have experienced with other cameras (non birding),, since the 50-200 SWD lens has been on hold by Oly I went ahead and bought a new 50-200 non SWD,, must say it focuses very quick on the E3,, very little difference in focus speed between the 50-200 and the new 12-60 SWD,, they both are quick on the E3,,

some of the Oly glass is expensive but the weather seal and build quality are exceptionally good,, do a comparison and you will see,, the glass will be with me far longer than the camera,,

I also bought a new Sigma 150 mm 2.8 which had a front focus problem of about 8 inches,, sent it back to B&H for a replacement,, Sigma NY indicated they have had no issues with the lens on any camera,, will see how the second lens performs,,????

been shooting the grandkids basketball games and the high ISO ability is a life saver in those dim gyms,,

heading to the river one of these nice days for some Bald Eagle shots,, will be using the E3 in prime focus mode along with my Nikon P5000 thought my TV85 scope,,

have really enjoyed the camera and expect it to be with me for many years,, it is built like a tank and I would take it anywhere in any weather,,

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back