• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grosbeak, Black-headed? or Rose-breasted So. California (1 Viewer)

dancinec

I went searching for a reported sighting of a Rose-breasted Grosbeak. However, I did not knowingly see one. I have never seed one unless these two shots are them. I didn't notice until I processed the pictures that these do look like grosbeaks. It does resemble the Black-headed with the bicolored bill (according to Sibley) but not like any of the Black-headed Grosbeaks that visit my feeders. Anyways let me know what your opinion is. Thanks in advance.
Photo one
Photo two

Hi Dennis,

Not grosbeaks, but female (or juvenile) House sparrows.

Best,
Jim

[EDIT: Posting at the same time as Jan].

Female House Sparrows for sure.

Don't feel bad this happens with them. Just when I think I know what I'm doing when it comes to sparrows, female House Sparrows in some unusual place will make me look like an idiot.

Female House Sparrows for sure.

Hi Gentoo,

I do not have much to go on except my Sibley's, but I was actually leaning towards juvenile (or female-type) House Sparrow of indeterminate sex. Sibley's seems to show these as having darker lores and a more strongly defined eye-line, which arguably we see here. Also, I would think an early juvenile House Sparrow (Sibley gives May through September for the plumage) might show a larger beak than an adult, and I think we might be seeing that here also.

Cordially,
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back