• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Curlew sp. at Minsmere (2 Viewers)

Not sure if LGRE is on BF but I am sure he won't mind being quoted thus:

--- In [email protected], LGREUK400@a... wrote:
"Brian Small has placed on Surfbirds a couple of images of a curlew species photographed at Minsmere RSPB reserve today. To my eye, they represent the same type of bird that was recorded in Northumberland not so long ago and accepted by ALL authorities as a SLENDER-BILLED CURLEW!

LEE G R EVANS"

er..very interesting

can't see enough in those pix on my laptop here at school but it is certainly very interesting indeed....

it does look very like the Druridge Bay bird....could almost be from the same series of pix.....

I was looking at these pics just before I logged on here and my first thought was... well... it's a good job my boss is out of earshot!

RBA have just broadcast this:

Suffolk curlew sp (probably Eurasian Curlew) Minsmere RSPB on the levels opp windpump 12.15 pm at least (2nd day): bird shows some characteristics possibly suggestive of Slender-billed Curlew

Being the cynic that I am, I just can't make this bird a Slender-billed. It's certainly nothing like the 3x Slender-bills I saw in Morrocco back in the 80s.
Having just got back from 'grilling' a flock of 100+ Curlew, there was such a variety of sizes, bill lengths and plumages any number of them could be described as 'odd-looking'. How many people actually look at Curlews?

Last edited:
Not much these days, I'll admit, but when I worked the Plym Estuary I used to - there's not usually a lot else to see there (apart from gulls, of course!) I've never seen one with spots like that on the flanks, or with quite so small a bill. Not saying it couldn't happen, of course - I'm no expert.

just did a quick search and only came up with this image of SBC as the search engines ban use of image search in school - for obvious reasons!!!!

perhaps somene could google a few more for comparisons....

Attachments

• GES006958_proc.jpg
    GES006958_proc.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 797
Tim Allwood said:
just did a quick search and only came up with this image of SBC as the search engines ban use of image search in school - for obvious reasons!!!!

perhaps somene could google a few more for comparisons....

Heres a link to a page with a photo of the northumbs bird http://www.birdguides.com/birdnews/article.asp?a=35.

The Minsmere bird doesn't look as spotty as photos of s-b. But who knows how much they vary......

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back