• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swainson's Warbler/ Sibley? (1 Viewer)

Zolarcon

Hi BF,

Looked at Sibley's Swainson's Warbler- I dont think the Swainson's really looks right in Sibley's book... At least the few I've seen don't look that light and clean. And yes I've heard it call and know it was a Swainson's.

Not that Sibley's illustration isn't wonderful, but the bird seems light and the cap on the bird looks really red. Is it a reproduction error in Sibley's Birds of NA?

Am I getting close?

Thank you for any comments,
Carlos

Attachments

• swainsons-3-.jpg
    swainsons-3-.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 281
Remember, you are comparing your drawing to another interpretive drawing. I personally think you have captured a better visual description of the Swainson's, closer to what one would see in life. Keep in mind Sibley's are accurate drawings to
depict the identifying characteristics of a species, not ment to be a 'drawn photograph', so it makes no sense now to continue to compare yours with his....you know what the characteristics are, you see the birds in life and perhaps have taken photos... you now have created your own accurate rendition of the Swainson's Warbler.
Your drawing, thus far, is well executed.
shelley

shelley810 said:
Remember, you are comparing your drawing to another interpretive drawing. I personally think you have captured a better visual description of the Swainson's, closer to what one would see in life. Keep in mind Sibley's are accurate drawings to
depict the identifying characteristics of a species, not ment to be a 'drawn photograph', so it makes no sense now to continue to compare yours with his....you know what the characteristics are, you see the birds in life and perhaps have taken photos... you now have created your own accurate rendition of the Swainson's Warbler.
Your drawing, thus far, is well executed.
shelley

Hi Shelley,

I was asking about a possible reprint error in Sibley's Guide NA Book that is all. I was also asking if others thought the bird I had drawn was close to the real life bird, maybe other regions had variations on the bird color. I believe color is a big part to identifying the bird.

I was not comparing myself to Sibley. Sibley is a master at what he does.

Carlos

Last edited:
shelley810 said:
Sibley's are accurate drawings to
depict the identifying characteristics of a species, not ment to be a 'drawn photograph'
But they are intended to depict how the bird looks and the importance that Sibley attaches to his illustrations is apparent from the corrections on his website:

http://www.sibleyguides.com/sibley_guide_other.htm.

I notice he doesn't express any dissatisfaction with his Swainson's Warbler. I've never seen the species, but I must admit that the impression I'd got from photos I've seen is that it's a duller bird, so I was interested to see Carlos's post.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back