• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Extremadura (1 Viewer)

Hi Sandra

Thanks to birds taken from Extremadura the Pyrenees now have 4 breeding species of vulture.

You might like to see this video of a Black Vulture - essentially a bird from Extremadura, but now also flying in the Pyrenees.

http://youtu.be/MNwPAOAboGg

Perhaps one day the Spanish Imperial Eagle will follow suit, although not in the way that some would have it...but that's another story!

Steve

Great Steve - big b*****s aren't they? Wonderful to watch. :t:

Good report Sandra! You clearly fell for the place - How would you rate the place in "Lesvos" terms - higher or Lower (or just different)?
We have decided that Extremadura could well be the place for next Spring - I know you went with Speyside. Anyone have any thoughts about other travel companies going there - say NatureTrek, for instance (although they also go up into the hills I believe)?
Like to see your Spanish peacock photos!

Regards, R&S

I'd place it above Lesbos (which we also love) simply based upon its expanse, variety and landscapes. My preference far and away is to travel independently, although I do understand why some have misgivings, and you will need a little bit of Spanish to get by. Once you're away from Madrid the roads just get quieter and more peaceful.

I would recommend a couple of Nights in the Gredos before moving down to Trujillo (El Recuerdo is great) for a few nights then up to stay in Monfrague (try Puerta de Monfrague) before tackling the Madrid Ring Road once more.

Quote --Good report Sandra! You clearly fell for the place - How would you rate the place in "Lesvos" terms - higher or Lower (or just different)?
We have decided that Extremadura could well be the place for next Spring - I know you went with Speyside. Anyone have any thoughts about other travel companies going there - say NatureTrek, for instance (although they also go up into the hills I believe)?

Regards, R&S

Indeed, Naturetrek go there, and I went on their tour of Extremedura and the Gredos in May. An excellent trip, with loads of birds, many with superb looks and photo ops, good leaders, good food and good accommodations. If people want to see some photos, I have a gallery here -
http://richard-s.smugmug.com/Vacation/Spain-Naturetrek-May-2011/17097774_TqK5hS#1295507491_WZb2Qgh . (several pages).

Richard

Quote --Good report Sandra! You clearly fell for the place - How would you rate the place in "Lesvos" terms - higher or Lower (or just different)?

Regards, R&S

Indeed, Naturetrek go there, and I went on their tour of Extremedura and the Gredos in May. An excellent trip, with loads of birds, many with superb looks and photo ops, good leaders, good food and good accommodations. If people want to see some photos, I have a gallery here -
http://richard-s.smugmug.com/Vacation/Spain-Naturetrek-May-2011/17097774_TqK5hS#1295507491_WZb2Qgh . (several pages).

Richard

Great set of photographs Richard. We went to lots of these places too. And there was one photo of our villa too - near Trujillo.

Sandra

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back