• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suprising Sparrowhawk behaviour (1 Viewer)

Hi, the woody i saw the male sprawk with was very much alive but in deep trouble. Looked as if it had been rammed off its perch in a thicket by the sprawk and was on its back making a desperate last struggle but not getting very far as it was restricted by the thicket and the bird. I was looking into the thicket from the road and was attracted by the struggle and was extremely close to the action, 8 feet or so away. It wouldn't surprise me if this close combat situation was quite common but i can see a how a male sparrowhawk would struggle when not in a place which limited the pigeons mobility.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago we had a sparrowhawk (unknown gender) locally which regularly took woodpigeons. On one occasion I saw it sitting on a very recently dead one -- on another, a neatly plucked, headless carcase was abandoned in the paddock (this ended up in a rather fine pie together with a squirrel).

This seems to agree with the suggestion that some individuals develop a pigeon habit. On another occasion (elsewhere in the New Forest) I saw another sparrowhawk on a not-yet-dead woodpigeon.

The incident James describes of the struggle in the bushes is very like one I saw in about 1978 in a shrubbery in a front garden in Guildford. However, in this case the pigeon was a collared dove, and the hawk was a male kestrel. They seemed evenly matched, with the dove trying several times to escape, each time being battled to the ground again by the kestrel. Eventually the kestrel noticed me watching over the top of a fence about 2 metres away, and skedaddled -- the dove took the opportunity to flee too, apparently without major injury.

Richard

I found a young Rabbit in a Sparrowhawks nest once. Killing a Wood Pigeon is no problem for a male Sparrowhawk, however carrying it off is, usually if a male kills a pigeon it will partly eat it on the spot and may come back later for another go (that's how the keepers find them so easy to trap/shoot etc).

nirofo.

If the rat was to heavy for the Sprawk to lift over the hedge, could it be that he did take it off the bird table, but was unprepared for the weight and accidentally ended up in the pond?

Sparrowhawk and the rat

Gerry Hooper said:
I got a shock this morning when I walked out the back door to see a Sparrowhawk floating in the pond.See Attached pic.
It was struggling with something in his talons, the struggling stopped and it emerged from the pond carrying a large rat.
It was too heavy for it to lift over the hedge so it spent 20 mins. devouring it on the lawn.
Is it unusual for Sparrowhawks to take anything other than birds, there's no mention of it in any books I've got.
The rats do sit on the bird table and even climb the tree to get to the feeders,maybe the Sparrowhawk made a mistake.
Also, would it of intentionally taken the rat to the pond to drown it or was that just a happy accident?
Hi Gerry
I saw when a Sparrowhawk was devouring a big vole. It plucked the skin like feathers of a bird. In your pic it seems to be a male. But a male is more little and weaker than a femal and that´s why it was a hard fight.

kindly Reiner

Thank you Reiner,
Your English is much better than my German!

So Sparrowhawks do occasionally take mammals, anyone else witnessed this?

I've been working through the facts and figures on the previous page and have reached the conclusion that the weight of a drowned rat is equal to, or greater than, the weight of a dry Woodpigeon.

They are Accipiters they WILL take on anything that they think they can kill,the weight ratio does not matter! if they are hungry enough they will attempt things out of the norm.
Female Goshawks kill capercallie??????
me

Richie9 said:
Will they take Feral Pigeons? Theres plenty here!

Hi Richie
Thanks for reviving this thread, as missed it previously.
Ive seen a female take a Feral Pigeon with ease (only once though)
Also seen one with a Grey Partridge & saw an adult female take a Jay in level flight. It held prey well, but had to land within about 30metres. It then stripped the tail & wings & flew off with its prize. (Lucky for us too as we were into tying our own flies for trout fishing & the blues were amazing)
Steve

I have seen a female attack a Grey squirrel in my garden. Knocked it clean off the peanut feeder but didn't follow up the attack . The squirrel ran for cover, then came back after about 15 minutes as if nothing had happened.

not so long back I disturbed a Sparrowhawk on a Woodpigeon kill, but can't remember if it was male or female, I know it came back for it though as next day there was nowt left but a large circle of feathers, and I did once see a female attack a Pheasant (unsuccessfully) at the local woodland feeding station.
As for lucky escapes, a few months back while at the local bus stop one evening, alarm calls from nearby bushes alerted me to a Sparrowhawk coming out of said bushes with a Blackbird in its talons, the weight must have slowed it down somewhat as a male Blackbird caught up with it and mobbed it, forcing it to drop its prey from about head height and it bounced off the grass verge below. I walked towards the 'lifeless' bird which had come to rest close to the pavement but could see it panting away. I didn't want to disturb it for fear of shocking it further so kept an eye on it from the bus stop. As it happens the bus was late (for once I was pleased even though it meant less drinking time) and about 15 minutes passed, the Blackbird was still in the same place. People were blindly walking by very close to it and itwasn't moving. I was now worried about what state it was in and was about to walk back to it when the bus appeared around the bend in the road. What a dilemma! what a choice! Blackbird or Beer? Beer or Blackbird?............. Don't know what choice I would have made but the lucky bird suddenly shook itself off and flew fast as lightning back into the bushes from where it had been abducted. I Enjoyed me drink that night! :flyaway:

poor blackbird

Mouldy said:
not so long back I disturbed a Sparrowhawk on a Woodpigeon kill, but can't remember if it was male or female, I know it came back for it though as next day there was nowt left but a large circle of feathers, and I did once see a female attack a Pheasant (unsuccessfully) at the local woodland feeding station.
As for lucky escapes, a few months back while at the local bus stop one evening, alarm calls from nearby bushes alerted me to a Sparrowhawk coming out of said bushes with a Blackbird in its talons, the weight must have slowed it down somewhat as a male Blackbird caught up with it and mobbed it, forcing it to drop its prey from about head height and it bounced off the grass verge below. I walked towards the 'lifeless' bird which had come to rest close to the pavement but could see it panting away. I didn't want to disturb it for fear of shocking it further so kept an eye on it from the bus stop. As it happens the bus was late (for once I was pleased even though it meant less drinking time) and about 15 minutes passed, the Blackbird was still in the same place. People were blindly walking by very close to it and itwasn't moving. I was now worried about what state it was in and was about to walk back to it when the bus appeared around the bend in the road. What a dilemma! what a choice! Blackbird or Beer? Beer or Blackbird?............. Don't know what choice I would have made but the lucky bird suddenly shook itself off and flew fast as lightning back into the bushes from where it had been abducted. I Enjoyed me drink that night! :flyaway:

I think you would of missed a drink!
There is a male sparrowhawk at thornley woods which tried to take a adult male pheasant! but it backed out of attack when the pheasant saw it at last minute and started flapping and calling due to fright, this must of changed sparrowhawks mind (must of thought bird was smaller).
steve

I once saw a Sparrowhawk lying in a side road of a village I drive through to go to work . It was 7.45 am so very quiet, little traffic about, so it I don't think it had been hit by a vehicle. Anyway, I drove around the block to take a look and the bird was in the road with wings outstretched and its feet in the air. As I approached the bird it suddenly looked around, jumped up and flew off. I am sure it hadn't been hit and awoken just as I approached it, but had been "playing dead" in the effort to attract an inquisitive victim. If my supposition is right, it was one very strange piece of behaviour.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back