• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HR/5. Jupiter in daylight (1 Viewer)

Binastro

A while ago, using my ever ready HR/5 with a good size field, I easily found Jupiter about 2 degrees below the Moon, while still daylight, although the Sun was low. It took a few seconds.

A small disc was seen.

In Kowa 20x50 Jupiter's pale disc was estimated to be about 1.6 degrees from the gibbous Moon's nearest limb.

I did not spot any of Jupiter's moons but the sky was not very transparent.

It was probably visible in much brighter daylight but there was cirrus much of the day and lower cloud.

Last edited:
Hi Ed,
The 8.5x44 HR/5, which is always ready to pick up.
The field of 8.26 degrees is useful when searching.

Early this morning Jupiter was 10 degrees from the Moon, so I figured it was close this evening.

Jupiter is still near the Moon, maybe 2.5 degrees away with Jupiter maybe lower right now.
So if the sky is clear, have a go in bright sunshine.

I don't know when the Moon rises today in various U.S. locations.

Moonrise today here was about 17.00 BST (Daylight saving time or 16.00 UT plus 1 hour).
Possibly a little later local time in the U.S.
So 6p.m summer time local or later is best.
The Moon then maybe 3 degrees? from Jupiter.

Careful of the Sun as usual.

Last edited:
A while ago, using my ever ready HR/5 with a good size field, I easily found Jupiter about 2 degrees below the Moon, while still daylight, although the Sun was low. It took a few seconds.

A small disc was seen.

In Kowa 20x50 Jupiter's pale disc was estimated to be about 1.6 degrees from the gibbous Moon's nearest limb.

I did not spot any of Jupiter's moons but the sky was not very transparent.

It was probably visible in much brighter daylight but there was cirrus much of the day and lower cloud.

I spotted Venus one clear afternoon last week in quite bright light. I thought it was some sort of weather balloon at first but then checked with a Skychart and it was Venus.

Sorry, I got the orientation wrong.
So Jupiter is now closer to the Moon.
I saw Jupiter earlier in SE, it is now west of south in terrestrial terms.

At 24.27 BST (23.27 UT) Jupiter is now only 0.9 deg below the Moon's limb.
Seen through heavy cloud with 8.5x44 HR/5 and Kowa 20x50.

So in some of the U.S. it should be easily seen in late daylight now.

Hi JP.
I have seen Venus frequently in daylight without optical aid.
Also Jupiter many times with the Sun above the horizon and Mars once at Magnitude minus 0.9, positioned at the top of a conifer.
I have not seen Mercury in daylight, but a U.S. observer has.
All without optical aid, although when past 40 I needed to wear my distance glasses.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back