• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wearing glasses and binoculars (1 Viewer)

arran

I started wearing glasses with a moderate astigmatism correction in both eyes of - 75
I have always been using my bins without glasses with no issues at all
After using my noctivid for a while I started comparing the image-quality with and without glasses
I was completely astonished how much higher quality and contrast perception I had when wearing glasses
The same with an Zeus sf and swarovision
Anybody any explanation?

I started wearing glasses with a moderate astigmatism correction in both eyes of - 75
After using my noctivid for a while I started comparing the image-quality with and without glasses
I was completely astonished how much higher quality and contrast perception I had when wearing glasses
Anybody any explanation?

Your eyes get better with glasses. :t:
I suspect astigmatism is more important and more rewarding to correct
than some other problems you can have with your eyes.

I agree that your eye's astigmatism is the main culprit.
Above all, I agree with your spelling of Zeiss: Zeus!

Anybody any explanation?

Arran, I think you must be teasing us. If your spectacles improve your vision when you are not using binos it stands to reason they will improve vision when looking through binos because although you can adjust for difference between the eyes, binos cannot correct astigmatism.

Lee

I can tolerate 0.25 dioptre of astigmatism quite well with binoculars, although one needs to use high power on a planetary telescope to eliminate this properly.
I used to rotate my head to gain the best resolution even with high power.
With 0.5 dioptre it isn't really tolerable using binoculars although I still don't use glasses, especially if it is only in one eye.
I would think that with 0.75 dioptre of astigmatism, which I consider a lot, one needs to wear glasses with binoculars.

Star images with unaided eyes even with 0.25 dioptre of astigmatism for me clearly show messy out of focus rings.

'Theoretically', even 0.25 dioptre of astigmatism means one should wear glasses, but the observer needs to see if this is necessary or not.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back