• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ed's thread (2 Viewers)

These Nordmann's are coming along very well, but with such painstaking work, wouldn't it be easier to paint them and then scan them?? :) In any case, they're looking great.

If you're still looking for ref. material for them, there were some great photos in the world birding gallery on surfbirds recently.

nickderry said:
These Nordmann's are coming along very well, but with such painstaking work, wouldn't it be easier to paint them and then scan them?? :)

Ooh I would love to just paint the *** things, but I am weak and the temptation to endlessly digi-amend adjust re-size and generally tweak is too great...

But I have relocated my paints and recognise that the next step is to use them on something :)

Well I haven't created much lately but I did drop into my father's workshop over the weekend and he seems to be keeping busy- pheasant work in progress attached. There seem to be six pots of gentleman's relish and a small bottle of chardonnay visible on the worktop, but he tells me these are for paint mixing rather than handy refreshment.

Attachments

• DSC_1352.JPG
    DSC_1352.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 242
A striking pose for the pheasant, I like it very much indeed. Shame about the Chardonnay, something I like to have to hand when painting, straight out the bottle so I don't wash my brushes in my drink.

Lovely work Dad's producing, Ed - it's becoming obvious where you get your talents from!
(Oh, and I know you don't need me to tell you that you don't always have to believe what Dads say . . . - paint-mixing, indeed.)

Hello all. Thought I would blow the dust off this thread after the excitement of the sketchathon. The Dogfarm Nodshank continues intermittently, currently grappling with how to get blobby and notchy scapulars right without losing overall shape of bird. Long way to go (texture highlights and all).

edit-managed to squeeze a bit more since posting earlier

Attachments

• Q12 799 10Apostingmasternordmann's copy.jpg
    Q12 799 10Apostingmasternordmann's copy.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 193
  • 799latesunmasternordmann's copy.jpg
    799latesunmasternordmann's copy.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
still ploughing my lonely furrow on this one...had a request from the Nod Meister in Korea to see if it would be possible to wake the bird up and get it scampering about a bit.

Attachments

• 2000 latesunmasternordmann's copy copy.jpg
    2000 latesunmasternordmann's copy copy.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 158
  • q12 799draft 13 feedingnordmann's copy copy.jpg
    q12 799draft 13 feedingnordmann's copy copy.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 196
You make it look so bloody easy Ed! - I don't know the Nod's Whatsit at all (probably illegal, anyway) but do we have enough 'arse-end' to the bird - or is this how Nod likes it? (Particularly now it scampers so, is there more to be added behind the leggies, so to speak.) Smack me with dead-wood parrot-perch if I don't know what I'm talking about! . . . - ouch - that *ecking HURT!!!!

still ploughing my lonely furrow on this one...had a request from the Nod Meister in Korea to see if it would be possible to wake the bird up and get it scampering about a bit.

Do they do that then? Most of the ones I see seem to be permanently snoozing!

Nice to hear from y'all.

Tim- you are not wrong about it looking short-arsed. It is supposed to be a bit like that, but it may yet have the bum-stretcher clamped on it.

Dave B- My mental image was exactly as you describe (sleepey as a teenage Spoonbill), but by all accounts they do perk up mightily at feeding time. I thought I was hallucinating when I saw the dogfarm Nodshank wake up and scamper off after the falling tide- really quick and bouncy, a bit like an egret after fish fry.

One Nod feeding technique I have heard about but alas not seen is to sprint after small fish, catch them and fling them onto the bank, then despatch and eat them at leisure. Bizarre- I can't think of any other bird which catches prey and then let's go of it in this crow and gull infested world...

Nice to hear from y'all.

Tim- you are not wrong about it looking short-arsed. It is supposed to be a bit like that, but it may yet have the bum-stretcher clamped on it.

Dave B- My mental image was exactly as you describe (sleepey as a teenage Spoonbill), but by all accounts they do perk up mightily at feeding time. I thought I was hallucinating when I saw the dogfarm Nodshank wake up and scamper off after the falling tide- really quick and bouncy, a bit like an egret after fish fry.

One Nod feeding technique I have heard about but alas not seen is to sprint after small fish, catch them and fling them onto the bank, then despatch and eat them at leisure. Bizarre- I can't think of any other bird which catches prey and then let's go of it in this crow and gull infested world...

Hi Ed, I know absolutely zero about these noddy guys but I was interested to hear about the fishing technique. I was watching a little grebe recently and I was fairly baffled by its behaviour. It dived and brought up a tiddler then started to 'sling it about a bit'. It kept dropping it and picking it back up again. I think it must have been deliberate but I can't really work out what good it was doing, especially as the fish seemed to be lifeless.

Fascinating creatures birds, ain't they?

Woody

I like the lively one BTW

Hello all. Social life intruded on the weekend a bit so only managed a qiuck bumstretch and scapwarp on the Nodshank.

But happily socila life included being taken downriver in a little boat Sat evening and managed to manouevre ourselves so these two Curlew (in v heavy wing moult, hence wing notch) were just in line with a wrecked ship and yellow buoy. Carried the mental image with me Sunday and on the train to work this morning and then to capture-the-moment, tried to set it down over lunch today. The usual media of biro+ finger dabbed coffee + blackberry smoothie, with the added innovation of yellow and green highlighter pen rifled from the stationery cupboard.

Attachments

• curlw copy.jpg
    curlw copy.jpg
    546.8 KB · Views: 270
  • 799 13.15ccopy copy.jpg
    799 13.15ccopy copy.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 246
lots of character and action in those curlews, and a great composition. Can't comment on the nodding dogs (apart from they're looking great) as not sure how big the bum's supposed to be.

Hello all. Good sense of humour test today- managed a couple of hours on the computer remorselessly progressing the Nodding Dogshank, then out to dinner and returned to find that there had been a power cut and so work lost..

could treat this as a hint that I should stop arsing about on the computer and do something more creative- another hint in the same direction here, the latest from my father's workshop

Attachments

• DSC_1803.JPG
    DSC_1803.JPG
    409.4 KB · Views: 239
Like father, like son - he (you) clearly follows your (his) incoragable sense of humour - and immaculate attention to detail. Please pass on my highest regards to Mr Keeble Snr. - wonderful.
Oy - Ed, ever heard of 'save' when photoshopping? - out here inthe isles, we hit save every 10 minutes - one never knows when a swan (or Great Auk!!!?) will hit the power lines.
Get that Rodney Plodwank finished and be done with.

Like father, like son - he (you) clearly follows your (his) incoragable sense of humour - and immaculate attention to detail. Please pass on my highest regards to Mr Keeble Snr. - wonderful.
Oy - Ed, ever heard of 'save' when photoshopping? - out here inthe isles, we hit save every 10 minutes - one never knows when a swan (or Great Auk!!!?) will hit the power lines.
Get that Rodney Plodwank finished and be done with.

Hello there - greatest risk of line damage currently seems to be an overland Yellow-nosed Albatross...in fact perhaps I should nip out with the torch. As for Plodwank- it's Nodding off time and he is safely saved for the night...

Hello there - greatest risk of line damage currently seems to be an overland Yellow-nosed Albatross...in fact perhaps I should nip out with the torch. As for Plodwank- it's Nodding off time and he is safely saved for the night...
You also, I hope. looking very nice, by the way. Errrr, the plodwank, not you - no offence.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back