• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with the Panasonic Lumix G1 (1 Viewer)

agree with ya there Niel, right tool for the job,, these days I don't lug the 50 pounds of gear around (most times) and select what I need to serve me the best,,

good point on the ladies as I know my wife sure likes the little ones,,

even my P5000 is a pain in the rear trying to press the buttons,, I study classical guitar and have a long thumb nail so it gets the work out on the buttons,, I know they will not see my $$$ for a body I cannot depress buttons easily that I need to operate in the field,,

Derry

Derry,
It's a big problem that I have with the Fujis. Not only small buttons but you have to go into the menu to change most things which is very fiddly.
Neil.

I think that the G1 will be a milestone in the history of photography. However, I am not so sure about the 4/3 lens format. A 2X sensor crop factor is nice for birding but not so nice as a wide angle lens.

I am very interested in this camera for digiscoping, but reading the above posts, am I right in reading, that there are no prime lenses suitable for digiscoping available yet that will fit the G1.
The lens would have to have auto focus and exposure link to the camera.

As a matter of interest I hand held an old canon A1 film camera, with 50mm lens, up to the Nikon 30x DS eyepiece on my Nikon ED82 scope. And was able to get a vignetting free image from it.

EDIT
Having thought about the above, I guess it is no indication that a 50mm lens on a 4/3 camera would also be vignet free.

Malc

I am very interested in this camera for digiscoping, but reading the above posts, am I right in reading, that there are no prime lenses suitable for digiscoping available yet that will fit the G1.

Malc,

The current "pancake" 25mm f2.8 http://fourthirdsphoto.com/preview/e-420_10.php should fit the G1 with the Micro four thirds adapter. I don't think vignetting should be a problem with 50mm primes, but 2x crop of the 4/3 makes the FOV quite narrow.

Best regards,

Ilkka

The lens would have to have auto focus and exposure link to the camera.

As a matter of interest I hand held an old canon A1 film camera, with 50mm lens, up to the Nikon 30x DS eyepiece on my Nikon ED82 scope. And was able to get a vignetting free image from it.

EDIT
Having thought about the above, I guess it is no indication that a 50mm lens on a 4/3 camera would also be vignet free.

Malc

Malc,
As Ilkka confirmed the Olympus 25/2.8 pancake lens should work on the new format. Have a look at this thread for some tests with this lens
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=116135
This is not the sharpest lens I've used for digiscoping but it let's in a lot of light and will AF . My Nikon 20/2.8 D and Nikon 35/3.5 are sharper but may not work on the new system (the 35/3.5 wont work on the Nikon D90 ).
A 50 mm lens on the Micro 4/3 rds would give you 2000 mm on a 20x eyepiece and 3000 mm on a 30x .
I can't wait to get my hands on one, Neil.

Thanks Ilka, Neil and Paul

Neil
As you will probably get the camera first in HK, I will look forward to your findings on the camera and lenses.

Malc

I am very undecided what to do at the moment, I haven't got a lens for digiscoping with it, or an adaptor to fit a lens. So it will push the price up a lot more.
I don't have a digital SLR, whatever I get must be usable for digiscoping.
I have thought about the D90 and the E520, will wait it out to see how people get on with the G1, I would particularly like to shoot at a higher ISO and frame rate, with RAW files as well. Currently using the P5100.

Malc

Loads of test images to view on the link below. All unaltered and can be viewed at full size plus links to the RAW files on some of the photos if you have any software to read them.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DMCG1/DMCG1A7.HTM

I though the full size jpegs looked ok up to ISO800 but a bit noisy after that, especially some chroma noise and banding in the ISO1600 and ISO3200 images. Not seen a proper full review anywhere yet so need to wait for that really.

Paul.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back