• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Traveller ED (1 Viewer)

Looks rather smart to me.

I think the Traveller ED is an additional model and the Mg Black will be remaining in the line-up..

David

Last edited:
Looks like a Nikon/Maven/Kite 8x30?

It will be interesting to see what pans out. It's almost 3 years since the unannounced M7 was first spotted at Birdfair and we learned that Kite had something ready as well. Hope it's a bit more than a me-too.

David

I just spoke with the Opticron US sales manager. He said the Traveler ED series is a new line due to be announced this fall. The video was not supposed to have been released until then. Gilmore Girl's hope has been answered. The line will include 6x32, 8x32, and 10x32. The folks in the US office have not seen specs yet.

As an Opticron dealer, we will get advanced notice of the release. I'll post on this when I know more.

I just spoke with the Opticron US sales manager. He said the Traveler ED series is a new line due to be announced this fall. The video was not supposed to have been released until then. Gilmore Girl's hope has been answered. The line will include 6x32, 8x32, and 10x32. The folks in the US office have not seen specs yet.

As an Opticron dealer, we will get advanced notice of the release. I'll post on this when I know more.

Thanks for the update Steve. I noticed the video was removed not too long after this thread was started and figured it was premature. Very nice they are still offering the 6x.

Just to clarify, the Traveller BGA ED will be available in 8x32 and 10x32 formats (if it ever gets here - we've only been waiting two years...). This will effectively replace the current Countryman BGA HD 8x32 as that model will be discontinued and the Traveller ED will be priced at around £300.

The current Traveller BGA Mg Black range will continue with 6x32, 8x32 and 10x32 models, currently priced from £229.

Not sure why Paul mentioned a 6x32 - check he's had a cup of coffee next time you speak with him Steve :)

HTH

Cheers, Pete

Just to clarify, the Traveller BGA ED will be available in 8x32 and 10x32 formats (if it ever gets here - we've only been waiting two years...). This will effectively replace the current Countryman BGA HD 8x32 as that model will be discontinued and the Traveller ED will be priced at around £300.

The current Traveller BGA Mg Black range will continue with 6x32, 8x32 and 10x32 models, currently priced from £229.

Not sure why Paul mentioned a 6x32 - check he's had a cup of coffee next time you speak with him Steve :)

HTH

Cheers, Pete

That's disappointing . I tried 6x32 in the current Traveller , but focus was WAY too fast for me.

Coming soon to a dealer near you...

https://youtu.be/QR_ISGjY0bY

Full production shipment is finally on its way to our warehouse. Sales reps and pro staffers in UK/Europe and North America will have samples on hand for field events, festivals and in store demos over the next few weeks.

Cheers, Pete

The official specs are not yet online and I don't return to work until tomorrow. However I have had my samples for almost 4-weeks and for the last 16 days have been birding in India with the 8x32. This little beauty weighs in at 450g and a minimum focus of less than 1.5metres, (which was just perfect for locating Jumping Spiders in the dry leaf litter). The 8.2 degrees FOV proved to be useful too in locating Indian Pitta and tracking some of the smaller birds such as Common Tailorbird.

I lent them out to a first time birder on a trip to Bondla in the Western Ghats and he has ordered a couple of pairs from his local retailer.

There are a couple of reviews lined up for this model so enough from me on it.

Just an FYI, I received my sample of the new Traveler ED.

Me likey.

;)

Just to touch back on earlier comments in this thread, yes, it is very similar to the Nikon/Maven. I currently have the Maven and have done a brief side by side. Of course, the Opticron is a more subtle design with a classic black, "no frills" look to it. Focusing speed is fast but tension is stiff (right out of the box)...a good combination for my personal preferences. Optics, overall, are immediately enjoyable, again, for my preferences. This could be my new "full time" glass when I don't feel like lugging around an 8x42.

Also will comment on the new MM4 spotting scopes in the spotting scope forum shortly. Still no 80mm MM4. :(

Attachments

• OpticronTraveler8x32.jpg
    OpticronTraveler8x32.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 317
Just an FYI, I received my sample of the new Traveler ED.

Me likey.

;)

Just to touch back on earlier comments in this thread, yes, it is very similar to the Nikon/Maven. I currently have the Maven and have done a brief side by side. Of course, the Opticron is a more subtle design with a classic black, "no frills" look to it. Focusing speed is fast but tension is stiff (right out of the box)...a good combination for my personal preferences. Optics, overall, are immediately enjoyable, again, for my preferences. This could be my new "full time" glass when I don't feel like lugging around an 8x42.

Also will comment on the new MM4 spotting scopes in the spotting scope forum shortly. Still no 80mm MM4. :(

Nice picture!

What are the specs?

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back