• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mixed Gulls ID, Bavaria (2 Viewers)

Mergus1

the Bavarian Birder
Hi,

saw those larger Gulls in our area, Bavaria. Still struggeling with them. First one looks like a Herring or LBBG in cy2? The others Caspian and/or YLGs?

Much appreciated! :t:
(more pics available if needed..)

Cheers
Marcel

Attachments

• GullID-1.JPG
    GullID-1.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 137
More pics please :)

Left one is 2cy LBBG/HG as you said. The 2nd from left and right one are probably Caspians but it's only guess.
The 2nd from right looks good for 2cy Caspian.

hard to tell. the 3 others could be also be YLG.
the dark one is probably a herring gull but even in midwinter there are YLGs that dark.

Hi
thanks for those plenty replies!

Actually haven´t heard of a single LBBG this winter ;). Apart from that, size indicates Herring as well. Quite a lot records of it these weeks.

BTW these weren´t the only larger gulls there. Apart from the ones in the picture there were 16 YLG and one ad Caspian.
Pretty plenty records of Caspian in Bavaria (>100 indv last weeks!). So I wouldn´t wonder if all (apart from the Herring) seen in the pic were Caspians. Some showed this Caspian typical albatross habit... All in all I´d say they´re all Caspians!?
I know, hard to tell from a photo. But gizz is one of the main clues of distinguishing those gulls, isn´t it?

Could upload some more pics if wished. Actually have to do this from our other computer :)...

Cheers
Marcel

go ahead, load them up here, they might be helpful. albatrossing is a good caspian feature but sometimes YLG do very similar postures. voices however would be diagnostic. the bills in the two grey backed ind. (3cy? 4cy?) look short and dark which led me more towards michahellis. but they could be caspians as well.

go ahead, load them up here, they might be helpful. albatrossing is a good caspian feature but sometimes YLG do very similar postures. voices however would be diagnostic. the bills in the two grey backed ind. (3cy? 4cy?) look short and dark which led me more towards michahellis. but they could be caspians as well.

Agree with the above.

Marcel - I would crop the original jpeg into 4 different edits; ie, one for each gull. Sharpen and then save as 1000 megapixels across and then pot each jpeg on here.

Cheers,

Andy.

Here you are:

(original pic already has been cropped before, so the following pics aren´t that brilliant...)

Attachments

• BF_GullID-cropped-1.JPG
    BF_GullID-cropped-1.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 51
  • BF_GullID-cropped-2.JPG
    BF_GullID-cropped-2.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 52
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back