• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guatemala in Jan./Feb. of '06 (1 Viewer)

Jaeger01

Spouse and I are interested in making a birding trip to Guatemala in Jan. or Feb. of next year and are finding it difficult to find tours or guides for 10-14 days there. Can anyone assist?

Also, anyone who has been there in last year or two, please comment on where/when and how you found things like safety, etc.

Thanks,
Jaeger near Chicago

The only bird guide that I know of in Guatemala is Knut Eisermann, who has a lot of information on his excellent website (http://www.cayaya-birding.com/). I have never met him in person, but I have been in contact by e-mail and he is certainly one of the top birders (if not the top birder) in the country. The only other guides I know of are at Tikal. They are fairly good on the local birds, but I don't think they do tours elsewhere. My website (see link below) has a lot of information on birding and travelling in Guatemala, as well as plenty on safety, which should not be taken lightly. I have spent a lot of time in Guatemala and I have only ever had one incident, which was a mugging at a notorious location (Agua Volcano). I knew it was risky before I went, so took an old pair of binoculars and nothing of value. In most parts of the country you will be fine as long as you take the proper precautions, like never driving at night.
Don't hesitate to get in touch if you decide to do it on your own and want any information about specific sites. Its a really interesting country to visit, and the birding is top notch. I'm sure you will have a great time.

Tom

Thanks for your comments Tom.

Jaeger

tomjenner said:
The only bird guide that I know of in Guatemala is Knut Eisermann, who has a lot of information on his excellent website (http://www.cayaya-birding.com/). I have never met him in person, but I have been in contact by e-mail and he is certainly one of the top birders (if not the top birder) in the country. The only other guides I know of are at Tikal. They are fairly good on the local birds, but I don't think they do tours elsewhere. My website (see link below) has a lot of information on birding and travelling in Guatemala, as well as plenty on safety, which should not be taken lightly. I have spent a lot of time in Guatemala and I have only ever had one incident, which was a mugging at a notorious location (Agua Volcano). I knew it was risky before I went, so took an old pair of binoculars and nothing of value. In most parts of the country you will be fine as long as you take the proper precautions, like never driving at night.
Don't hesitate to get in touch if you decide to do it on your own and want any information about specific sites. Its a really interesting country to visit, and the birding is top notch. I'm sure you will have a great time.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back