• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

a couple of birds (1 Viewer)

Well I have had a go at a background and I think the good news is that it can get better 8-P

I will plug at it and hopefully get better, though I do still like the emptyness of a white background for some pictures.

Anyhoo let me know what you think? Also maybe some of you backgound afficionados (sp) could give me a few pointers:t:

All the best

mosca

Attachments

• malard 024 (Medium).jpg
    malard 024 (Medium).jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 97
  • malard 035 (Medium).jpg
    malard 035 (Medium).jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 110
Very striking Mosca, as was your last work.

I think for me it's not so much a question of background as it is of environment. That is the bird lives in certain surroundings and showing them, even if just partially, helps in the overall drawing or painting.

But I can see why you like your stark white backgrounds. It does make the bird standout.

If you do continue to think about using background there are a lot of backgrounds, from very detailed where the background is as important as the bird almost to something very spare and stark and everything in between. I've run into the work of Thomas Quinn recently. He's an example of someone who uses a pretty sparse background. And Clive on this forum is a good example of more complex environments I think, though I don't want to speak for Clive. For myself I guess I tend toward the slightly impressionistic though I'm not sure how well that would work with your detailed style.

In any case that is my 2 cents on it. I'm sure others will have a variety of ideas.

Well as you can see, bg will be a whole world unto itself, and will take the same kind of practice that brought you to the mastery you have in the birds.

It will take a lot of observation of value, for instance you have the same values in the sky as the water, and they are usually very different from each other depending on the light and time of day. Water reflects the sky and land around it etc.

One of my favorite and most useful books on all this is Landscape Painting by Birge Harrison, written in the early 1900's when artists really had great training. This book can be downloaded free, as a PDF. He was an artist, but more important a teacher for 25 years so he knows how to inspire and instruct. It is a delight to read, and really opened my eyes in observation. In the end we will only be able to paint what we can see, but to see it in the first place is the sticky wicket. He really helps one see.
http://www.archive.org/details/landscapepaintin00harruoft It's a great read.

I'm sure you'll also find other artists who you like and see how they work this issue, there are lots of ways to go about it asKen says, maybe for you, it might make sense to start with a vignette, the kind of thing that suggests the immediate background by the bird and fades out to white as you move away from the subject. This style is a tried and true for bird artists. Or try Menaboni's Birds for an example. This would allow you to enter the bg area gently and give you a balance of style closer to what you are used to using.

Later you could branch out into a full background, here are a couple of Menaboni I pulled off the web to show you what I mean. This is just offered as a suggestion to consider.

Attachments

• MenWoodduck.jpg
    MenWoodduck.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 77
  • MenWoodThrush.jpg
    MenWoodThrush.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I love pencil, and I love these drawings, Mosca, especially the mallard. I was recently told that Jonsson reckons that nobody has 'caught' mallard as good as it could be. This is not surprising, given the man's passion for painting what may very well be 'everyday' birds.
I assume you are using several grades of pencil here. Is there any particular paper that's needed for this kind of detailed work?
Pencil's the medium I feel most comfy with, well it's the only thing I've used so far in these early years! I do a few illustrations for the local bird report but I'm limited with the tones I can use due to the quality of the reproduction in the printing process. Does anyone know of a way around this? As a small club (huddersfield birdwatchers') we don't have a large budget for reports, but the quality is surprisingly good.

Cheers

Russ

Love it, Philip - just love it. The background reads as water to me with that slice of energy where the drake cuts his way through the surface. I know why you chose to do this scene as your 'first attempt' at backgrounds - because on the face of it, it would seem to be a fairly straightforward task to accomplish - but it isn't, yet you have done so and with aplomb.

great stuff, and the simple background allows the mallard to live in a space defined by its habitat, and not an outline that would have been needed had the picture been on stark white.

I have to say that I like the new drawing with the background. I think it would really be worthwhile to do a series with developed backgrounds.

I like them all. The mallard with the water is lovely but I can also see the merit in having a minimal background, the goldfinch for example is striking with nothing to detract. I do think this is very much personal taste though.
Personally, I am often not keen on doing backgrounds so I have an empathy here....I also think it very much depends on what you want the final result to be.

Nice work, whatever:)

Well I have had a go at a background and I think the good news is that it can get better 8-P

I will plug at it and hopefully get better, though I do still like the emptyness of a white background for some pictures.

Anyhoo let me know what you think? Also maybe some of you backgound afficionados (sp) could give me a few pointers:t:

All the best

mosca
A very fine drawing Mosca, a nice still scene, the water just right.

Thank you to everyone who has posted ;)
All feedback is helpful and very nice of you, also extremely helpful.
The links and suggestions have enabled a bit of homework too (that is a good thing by-the-way).
I can be very hard to see our own picture as it is, as we spend so much time looking at it through our planned perception our vision can become warped. Which is odd considering normally we spend so much time trying to see things as they really are.:eek!: :-C

or to put it another way, You can't always see the wood for the trees B :):t:

Anyhoo, the best

mosca

RussB I have been using grades H6to B8 and a very large ball of putty rubber. There are others here who are better to advice you on paper but for these drawings I have been using 370g/m untextured water colour paper.

Last edited:
A couple of new dawings.
The first I was asked to draw (don't worry it's not christmas :smoke: ) the others a quicker picture with background (of sorts).

Attachments

• robinfin 056 (Medium).jpg
    robinfin 056 (Medium).jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 48
  • robinfin 043 (Medium).jpg
    robinfin 043 (Medium).jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 46
  • landing duck 011 (Medium).jpg
    landing duck 011 (Medium).jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 41
  • landing duck 022 (Medium).jpg
    landing duck 022 (Medium).jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 49
Both very sensitively done Mosca! A real pleasure to look at.

I think that one day you may find yourself doing more complex backgrounds but it will come at your own pace. These are incredibly striking as is.

i like em, they have that "life" to them that can be so difficult to capture... thanks in part to the spot-on proportions! Combine that with skillfully applied shading and detail work and, well you end up with something like this. Thanks for sharing.

Russ

PS I liked the earlier ones you posted with a plain white background alot too, I do similar stuff myself :)

Beautifully done, the mallard is just the sort of thing that would stop me in my tracks on a gallery wall.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back