• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Untitled... (2 Viewers)

We seem to be well favoured with Skuas around Bristol and the Severn Estuary, UK. Skuas like to cross from the Atlantic to the North Sea overland, between the Severn and the Wash. Beats fying all around the British Isles I guess! My last local Skua was a Bonxie at Chew Valley Lake, last year. Fantastic views as it systematically tried to murder everything on the lake! Never seen Coots move so fast! Sometime after, that year, a Pomarine Skua took up a brief residence. Very partial to Common Gulls it was! :eek!:
Though my favourite place for these birds is Portland Bill, Dorset, UK. :t:

Thanks for all your lovely comments.

Been actually painting today! :eek!:

An experimental piece. I wanted the bird involved to be a "bit-player" to the landscape. In this case salt-marsh, and a "driftwood tree stump". Working from a range of photos my partner had digi-scoped last September.

Not finished yet. But I attach the progression shots from my mobile. I warn you the images are poor quality. But give some impression of the stages.

I'll post more when I get the chance to work on it again. The subject is a Wheatear on return passage. Northwick Wharf, Gloucestershire, England. :cat:

Attachments

• Image0190.jpg
    Image0190.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Image0191.jpg
    Image0191.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Image0194.jpg
    Image0194.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Image0197.jpg
    Image0197.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Image0198.jpg
    Image0198.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 77
beautiful bit of stump...I've tried drawing these things and always end up rubbish...I get completely confused over the forms, ADD I guess:-O

Love your stuff Phil & echo the views of others like the way you organise the pages of your field sketches. I love the Great Grey Shrike & Dartford Warbler pic, the orioles, waxwings, well pretty much all of them. Great stuff look forward to seeing more.

Cheers, Neil.

I love the drift wood composition, Phil. I would never have thought to do this. This is proper creativity in my eyes. Me? I just play at it.

Russ

I apologise unreservedly for having let this thread reach three pages before leaving a comment, I feel rather adequately punished though as I'm not going to be able to enjoy all these pictures right now - will have to wait for the evening when I have more time. One pic I'm so glad to have seen is your Stone Curlews - I'll be thinking of that when I start my pic of two of them with a whimbrel. Superb stuff.

Thank you all for your kind replies...

Been away. Mixing it with Yellowhammers, Corn Buntings, Red-Legged Partridges and such. No Quail though! :-C

Did a bit more to "the stump" today. Those mobile photos were awful!

So here are 2 "next progression" scans.

The yellow in the last is being introduced. The water-colour pencil is building up the strokes. I should've left the Wheatear out, until closure. So, please don't focus on it! :cat:

All the very best to all of you! And keep up the GOOD WORK!!!! :t: B :)

Attachments

• Northwick Stump Wheatear.JPG
    Northwick Stump Wheatear.JPG
    238.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Northwick Stump Wheatear 2.JPG
    Northwick Stump Wheatear 2.JPG
    345.9 KB · Views: 73
Northwick Stump Wheatear

This might well be finished now. But may work on the background some more after a few days rest. :cat:

Attachments

• Northwick Stump Wheatear ..JPG
    Northwick Stump Wheatear ..JPG
    298.7 KB · Views: 81
That's one complicated bit of wood, good job

just running my painters eye over it I noticed that the bird's tail a bit of wood above that and the next, line up in dark and light bands sort of strong, and it makes a dark almost even band above the bird, maybe some variation there in value and direction could be considered....but that's just so the beautiful bird, is showing more.

beautiful piece of work - immediately conjures up images of the last wheatears of autumn on Welsh beaches for me - a glowing charm of a bird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back