• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oil paintings birds of Southern Africa (1 Viewer)

Luispereira65

Luis Pereira
Hello, I am a recent visitor to this forum and would like to share some of my paintings of Southern African Birds.....feel free to critique.... The first is of the Bateleur Eagle....

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    248.8 KB · Views: 112
Hello and welcome, Luis!

Bateleur eagles are impressive, aren't they? I wasn't able to catch a glimpse of one when I visited Zimbabwe in my twenties, to my regret.

As to critique: I must say, I am very impressed with the likeness you've captured here. The turned position of the head might read a little difficult if one isn't familiar with the species, but of course their noggins really can swivel this dramatically. :) I also like that you showed the dramatic plumage, yet left a small bit of room for interpretation. So many wildlife paintings of birds show every single feather in mind-boggling detail, and unless it's for a scientific illustration or hyper photo-realism, I feel it's best to just give a looser idea of the feather tracts just as you have done. Finally, I do find myself curious about the hard highlight in the eye, given that the background is so softly done, indicating (perhaps) diffuse light. Was this intentional? If so, is there a way to indicate elsewhere that there is such a bright light source? Otherwise I'd perhaps soften the highlight a teeny tiny bit.

Of course, these are just my thoughts. Feel free to disregard any or all of them as you deem fit.

Thanks for sharing,

Laura

Hello Laura, thanks for your comments and complements, you are quite correct the Bateleur Eagle, is a member of the Snake Eagles, they have very short tails and in flight it is apparent, they look a little odd compared to Falcons and kites.....regarding the light source and composition, the eagle is perched and starting to open its wings which are separated by the brown feathers on the Eagles back, the beige feathers are the flulf like feathers that line the top and bottom of the wing leading edge... Regarding light you are right, the eye reflection should be softened...great recommendations and once again thanks for taking the time to comment.....regards

This exotic looking bird is the African Hoopoe, common all over Southern Africa in the grassland looking for insects and worms, hence the long streamlined bill.
Enjoy...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 121
Orange breasted Sunbird, these colorful little birds feed on nectar from the colorful Erika plants that are common throughout the eastern Cape in South Africa

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 138
Here is something a little different, I painted this in 2014, titled toucans of Iguazu, these are toco toucans the larger of the species out in the tropical jungle at Iguazu falls on the border of Argentina and Brazil.....enjoy....

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 111
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back