• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (1 Viewer)

My money is on Fan Tailed Warbler, or do the call it Zitting Whatchamacallit these days! Much prefer the old names, for ie, Myrtle Warbler.

Ps; If I cant ID this from your avatar maybe your artistic talent should be called into question Nick! Perhaps Jan J can inform us as to the state of moult on the secondaries and retained first year greater covert...LOL

woo hoo, tricky one this avatar, nobody's got it right yet, good guesses, though way off the mark! Have still to sketch a fan-tailed warbler as the only one I've ever seen (in Italy) decided to depart from it's perfectly situated songpost to 'zit zit zit' at the bottom of a distant bush before I got pencil to paper!
If nobody's got the right answer before I get back from work, will give a clue.

nickderry said:
woo hoo, tricky one this avatar, nobody's got it right yet, good guesses, though way off the mark! Have still to sketch a fan-tailed warbler as the only one I've ever seen (in Italy) decided to depart from it's perfectly situated songpost to 'zit zit zit' at the bottom of a distant bush before I got pencil to paper!
If nobody's got the right answer before I get back from work, will give a clue.

Right then, hows about Whinchat...

Anyway - a bit less of posting avatar quizzes - and a bit more of the posting of watercolours, please - I read your thread for inspiration not headaches!!!!! ;)

OK, I'll put you all out of your misery by saying that it is 1) a female, and 2) from Fuerteventura. That should help enough. :) Hopefully I'll get the paints out tonight to work up some old pictures so I'll be posting my progress. Does that cure your headache Tim? I call mine hangovers!

Last try before I try to get some work done - female black-eared wheatear?
I'm only just starting to get to work on tomorrow's hangover - I love FRIDAY night!

Fuerteventura Stonechat then!

Look forward to the next watercolur.

Ps. left comment on your Garganeys and Teasel, super piece of work!
Later...

We have a winner! Fuerteventura Stonechat.
Off to do the washing up now, then I should have time tomorrow morning to go birding with my new A3 sketchbook (they hadn't got smaller) so I'm going to look more of a tit than usual as I'm poking my binoculars into bushes and trees being stared at by the French. Going to climb up to a vantage point on a surrounding hill, hoping for some vis mig, well, hoping for a passing black stork really, but we'll see what flies by, chaffinches anyone?

Ok, to work now. 1) Turn the music up loud, 2) Get some cheap french wine into the artist (classy) 3) Open the surgery to two paintings that need a bit of a lift. Here we have a little ringed plover from 2003 in Gran Canaria, and a little egret from 2004 in Aberystwyth. Vaguely pretty pictures, but ones that have little nagging things about them that need sorted out, so tonight they're getting what's coming to them.

Attachments

• DSCF3038.JPG
    DSCF3038.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 290
  • DSCF3039.JPG
    DSCF3039.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 287
thanks Peter, hope you didn't like it that much, it's wallowing under a few layers of white paint at the moment! I haven't been happy with it for 3 years, it needs a good slap now!

progress report, feeling slightly lost with them now, but carrying on stubbornly.

Attachments

• galleryphotos 006.jpg
    galleryphotos 006.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 240
  • galleryphotos 007.jpg
    galleryphotos 007.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 209
I think the change of colour to russet for the little central rock doeas a lot for the egret and the addition of more strewn weed around the scene compliments the warmer tones - the lrp is really glowing now (almost illuminated from within - remarkable) - only thing is - I liked both paintings before, too. I do think you have added to their interest by the changes you have made (and only you can see and evaluate the textural qualities which, no doubt, you have introduced) - I suppose the question now is 'when to stop'. Lovely work, Nick.

Very tired now and am supposed to be getting up in 5 hours to go birding. Finished at last, here they are.

Attachments

• galleryphotos 011.jpg
    galleryphotos 011.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 259
  • galleryphotos 013.jpg
    galleryphotos 013.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 237
Just a quick visit to introduce myself- i am a painter and I love your work I shall pop in again. Got a bit of a Welsh connection going here.

Cheers Dryslwyn

Two extremely successful re-workings here Nick - the Lrp in particular has attained a dreamy quality, such subtlety of light and form. It really has an ethereal feel to the piece - a triumph!
The egret piece looks as though you have thrown a sheet of tranquility over the scene, where it transluscently clings.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back