• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Waxwing (1 Viewer)

chris1971

Just moved house to Consett,County Durham and was surprised to see a flock of birds in the garden which i have not seen before,the birds have been coming and going for about a week now,i have identified the bird as a waxwing and understand that they do occasionally venture across from EUROPE.They tend to land in numbers,20 was my last count,they are attracted by a tree with red berries on it as soon as they land they stuff as many berries in as they can and quickly fly off again,repeating this throughout the day.Has anybody had any experience with the waxwing,is it quite common to see this?

Just moved house to Consett,County Durham and was surprised to see a flock of birds in the garden which i have not seen before,the birds have been coming and going for about a week now,i have identified the bird as a waxwing and understand that they do occasionally venture across from EUROPE.They tend to land in numbers,20 was my last count,they are attracted by a tree with red berries on it as soon as they land they stuff as many berries in as they can and quickly fly off again,repeating this throughout the day.Has anybody had any experience with the waxwing,is it quite common to see this?

Waxwings are a Winter visitor to Western Europe and there's been some sizeable flocks around the UK. A good sized flock will make light work of a berry laden tree. You're lucky to get them in your garden.

Waxwings are a Winter visitor to Western Europe and there's been some sizeable flocks around the UK. A good sized flock will make light work of a berry laden tree. You're lucky to get them in your garden.

Your right about about that,they have stripped the tree furthest from the house and have started on the next tree,they are quite difficult to predict as they dont seem to sit anywhere,the flock appears from nowhere and quickly takes as much food as possible and then fly off and repeat the process at different intervals during the day,got the camera at the ready for there return fingers crossed .

Hi Chris,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin. Glad to have you on board :t:

Great garden visitors :t:

Should also point out for the benefit of our newcomer that Waxwings are irruptive, i.e. some winters are much better than others. This winter has been pretty good, last winter was rather poor. They are also commoner in the north than the south and tend to be commoner in the east than the west due to the fact that they are reaching us from Scandinavia, so in Co. Durham, you're well placed to see some. Enjoy them while you can, they'll be off soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back