• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nick Hunter's funny, not so funny Bird Carvings (1 Viewer)

Quite a varied collection of work on your Wordpress site, both bird art and real work as you say! And a large collection as well. I don't think I've ever seen such a large collection of wood carving all in one place, not that I'm a carver so I guess I don't look all that hard. Still it was impressive and I greatly enjoyed it. Including the humor, e.g. 'No Control-Z'!!

I like the simplicity of many of the bird pieces. Though I have to confess it's also enjoyable to see all of the other more complicated 'real work' as well. Hope to see more here.

Thanks Ken. Being a Forum virgin, it's nice to find people that share an interest and I will try to find time to comment on comments. So far, it's really nice to have people pop up from all over the place. I had a quick look at your sites and will try to give them proper attention later when I'm not in my workshop.

I've been enjoying your website- there's some serious stuff there too

Those worms carved into the wood- have you been able to resist doing a version with woodpecker and tongue heading their way?

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. Attached some Cardinals I finished this morning. I've been having a good look at the gallery and your websites and am feeling a bit overwhelmed. I tried to add something to the gallery but it was removed. Any advice from some of you old hands? Maybe my versions of birds are a bit off the wall for this forum?
(although someone has posted an easter bunny/ dog (http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/451901/limit/recent) and that hasn't been removed!!)

Attachments

• P4060366.JPG
    P4060366.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Some beautiful work here Nick - particularly like the treecreeper and nuthatch, but also the long tailed tits and the wrens on your site. What patience to do all those little gilded bees - impressive!

Some beautiful work here Nick - particularly like the treecreeper and nuthatch, but also the long tailed tits and the wrens on your site. What patience to do all those little gilded bees - impressive!
Thanks Jo, and for your advice. I now have 11 posts!!! I may be legal. I will be checking in at the devonartist to see how you (both) get on. It's also very informative to see how someone else has observed a particular bird (like the longtail).

clever lad

Thanks Tim, I see you have 8,606 posts!! When do you find time to work? I've reached 12 and I'm worn out! I was re-visiting your site and, although as you know, I think your work is very very good, I didn't want to just say 'Great stuff'. One reason I, as a carver, like your drawings, is that you sort of draw 'facets', and the form of the birds, almost like carving. I wonder if you've tried 3D?

Wow, Your bird carvings are wonderful. They have an air of understated whimsy about them that I find very appealing. I especially like that one picture on your website titled "bird school".

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back