• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird Question... (1 Viewer)

fishonfly

Hello All,

I had a question and stumbled upon your site. The information was informative so I joined. This seems like a great group of people here.

I have another hummingbird question. First, I should say that i live in Bend, OR. and it snows here in winter. Over the summer I identified the hummingbirds in the yard as Black-chinned Hummingbirds. I know that they migrate to Mexico in the winter. Now my question is: When do they leave and how long does it take for them to fly down there? I am guessing it would take about four weeks, but I really don't know. Any info would help my curiosity.

Thanks!
-Michael

Well, I did some research and found out that they do not fly at night. It takes about 6 days to fly the 2000 miles at an average speed of 27mph. But, it can actually takes them about two weeks in order to allow for bad weather stops and to feed along the way. I love these birds and find them very interesting. I also found a recording of the Black-chinned Hummingbird and have actually called them into the yard when I played it. One even landed on a branch just feet from me!

Apparently Ruby Throated Hummingbirds cross the Gulf of Mexico in a single non stop flight of about 600 miles. So these little marvels have more capacity than we think.

Hi Michael,(like the screen name,flea flirter here too)

Did a search that relates to your question,came up with link below.Going to keep an eye on it here for Ruby throats shortly.Seen their animated map for 2011,graphics displays movement/sightings in sort of a stop motion way.Maps are bit sparse currently,shouldnt be long before they're filled with sightings,should be able to project towards yourself.They also use NOAA weather data to predict movement as prevailing conditions dictate.Have firm belief and faith in that.Those little rascals ride a front like a surfer "hangin ten"
Very impressive,easily understandable.

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/humm/

Bill

According to Sheri Williamson's "Hummingbirds of North America", black chins start arriving in the US around March 1 and make it to Oregon between April 21 and May 1. So that's 6 to 8 weeks for the US portion of the journey. It takes time to replenish their fat reserves at the interim stops, and they also have to time it so they arrive when the flowers are blooming at their destination.

Black chins winter in the middle section of Mexico's Pacific coast so it looks like the Mexican portion of the journey is about the same distance as the trip from the border to Oregon. I don't have any information on how much time they spend on this part of the trip.

Apparently Ruby Throated Hummingbirds cross the Gulf of Mexico in a single non stop flight of about 600 miles.
Ruby throats are the only species that can fly over the Gulf, and the ability to use this "shortcut" is the reason they are able to breed throughout the eastern US and other species can't. But it looks like more and more of the western hummingbirds are starting to winter along the Gulf coast, so maybe they'll eventually be as common in the east as the ruby throats.

Thanks everyone for your wonderful responses and great information. I read somewhere that it actually takes the Ruby Throats 18 hrs to cross the gulf, amazing! I actually like that we don't know everything about these wonderful creatures. Happy birding to you all.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back