• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID stuffed parrot (1 Viewer)

Of course, as it's likely that this was someone's pet, it's entirely possible that it's a hybrid.
They weren't breeding these in captivity 100 years ago.. At least there's no record I've heard of... Although the Victorians did loved their aviculture.. A hybrid would more likely be wild.. a colour morph would be a better bet..

They weren't breeding these in captivity 100 years ago.. At least there's no record I've heard of... Although the Victorians did loved their aviculture.. A hybrid would more likely be wild.. a colour morph would be a better bet..

I was about to query whether hybridisation had become a fad as early as that.

A

Amazon parrots were brought back to Europe by Columbus. Stick two different birds in a cage and you may get hybrids whether you want them or not.

Just a thought anyway.

Amazon parrots were brought back to Europe by Columbus. Stick two different birds in a cage and you may get hybrids whether you want them or not.

Just a thought anyway.

Wild caught Amazon Parrots were so abundantly in captivity no one ever bothered trying to breed them until the 1960's/70's when legislation was introduced which eventually led to a ban on the import of wild birds.. Only then aviculturists bothered to learn the complex techniques for breeding them.. (same with birds of prey).. Interestingly some people do breed them in Parrot cages and use A.I. with prolific egg laying females.. But the eggs are hatched in incubators and the chicks hand reared.. Even if a 100 years they managed to produce viable eggs in a cage it would be unlikely a bird could hatch them and rear them given the lack of knowledge and appropriate food needed to rear a parrot..

Apparently this fella was brought back from South America in the 1890s, it then died in 1930. Don't know any more than that.

Wild caught Amazon Parrots were so abundantly in captivity no one ever bothered trying to breed them until the 1960's/70's when legislation was introduced which eventually led to a ban on the import of wild birds.. Only then aviculturists bothered to learn the complex techniques for breeding them.. (same with birds of prey).. Interestingly some people do breed them in Parrot cages and use A.I. with prolific egg laying females.. But the eggs are hatched in incubators and the chicks hand reared.. Even if a 100 years they managed to produce viable eggs in a cage it would be unlikely a bird could hatch them and rear them given the lack of knowledge and appropriate food needed to rear a parrot..

Well you learn something new every day. I knew they had been breeding cockatiels in Europe since the middle of the 19th century, which is many centuries after amazons arrived on the continent. I guess I assumed that they would have been breeding amazons even earlier.

Well you learn something new every day. I knew they had been breeding cockatiels in Europe since the middle of the 19th century, which is many centuries after amazons arrived on the continent. I guess I assumed that they would have been breeding amazons even earlier.

Nah.... Cockatiels breed like mice...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back